The Student Room Group

Do The English Really Prefer To Be Governed By Old Etonians?

our 'hereditary curse'
mmmmm public school boys are yummy
Does seem like it

Original post by Jane 201010
mmmmm public school boys are yummy

Have you tasted one? :erm:
Original post by enaayrah
Does seem like it

Have you tasted one? :erm:

yessssssssssss yummmmy
We need more representation of trans folk in the goverment.
Yes

People say they want people who are in touch with them, but really, no one wants John from the pub to run the country
Original post by Jane 201010
yessssssssssss yummmmy

I thought they'd be full of...

Just kidding of course :wink:
u talkin bout my dad? Come at me bruh
Original post by democracyforum
Yes

People say they want people who are in touch with them, but really, no one wants John from the pub to run the country
Reply 8
Original post by democracyforum
Yes

Don't be so naive.
Reply 9
I think the electorate would prefer 'a commoner' however i don't think it's a big factor. Look at the support for Farage and Boris given their backgrounds.
I find the instinctive dislike of someone based on their background in whatever circumstances to be distasteful. It's a shame that some seem to claim to share that sentiment but exclude the more fortunate from that treatment.

Also, while public school-educated people do have a disproportionate presence in government, they are by no means predominant, and anyway, why should it surprise us? Public schools tend to produce high-quality students. Yes, they are lucky to have been able to get in in the first place, but then if they come out highly capable, why waste them?

Instead of knocking the successful, why not pull those less fortunate up to their level?
As long as they're doing the best job they can carry on.

Original post by Rakas21
Look at the support for Farage and Boris given their backgrounds.

Because they're authentic. I think most people find much more tolerable in personal terms someone who is from a very posh background and doesn't hide it than someone who is from a quite posh background and tries to appear in all respects 'of the people'. (cf Ed's kitchen fiasco.)
Original post by Rakas21
I think the electorate would prefer 'a commoner' however i don't think it's a big factor. Look at the support for Farage and Boris given their backgrounds.

I think what's funny is our country is NOT being governed by "Old Etonians" and is in fact being governed by Young Etonians, who, like Young Anybodies, are naive and idealistic. They speak with a convincing finesse due to their education, but they can't put their idealism in to practice because reality slaps them square in the jaw.

Chaps like Farage and Rees Mogg for example, are either older and wiser or have family-backed principles whilst we are actually being run by self interest. Mr Cameron is not an "Old Etonian" any way you look at it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending