The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=HopefulLawyerHG;57635175] However I can't see many mortgage companies refusing a mortgage because of a student loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll have to disagree with this. It might not be too much of a problem in the UK, but coming from a country where close to nobody has any student debt at all, I'm sure it will affect my ability to take out a mortgage loan if I decide to return some day.
Original post by physicsmaths
So we aint affected at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rosedam
I'll have to disagree with this. It might not be too much of a problem in the UK, but coming from a country where close to nobody has any student debt at all, I'm sure it will affect my ability to take out a mortgage loan if I decide to return some day.

Why? It doesn't affect your credit rating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2763

So just to absolutely confirm if eligible people starting this year get a grant this year and stay eligible they'd get grants for all 3-4 years of the degree? Where have they confirmed this?
Original post by TVIO
So just to absolutely confirm if eligible people starting this year get a grant this year and stay eligible they'd get grants for all 3-4 years of the degree? Where have they confirmed this?

Correct. There's a tweet from SFE and it's in the official budget 2015 docs.

It only affects NEW students entering uni 2016/17 onwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2765
Original post by jneill
Correct. There's a tweet from SFE and it's in the official budget 2015 docs.

It only affects NEW students entering uni 2016/17 onwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the quick confirmation. God I hate the tories
So we aint affected at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That appears to be the case ( I wouldn't take that as definite however)
Lol. I know who you voted for. You taking a maintanence loan/grant out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd probably be surprised. I'm taking out a maintenance loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TVIO

Basically you go into the 'contract' with the government on student loan when you start your course, so new 'scheme' which'll start a year after you already started won't affect your contract.
It's the same as when they raised the tuition fee in 2012. All students who started their course in 2011 or before were/are still on the lower tuition fee before the increase until the end of their undergrad course.
Does anyone know how quickly we become official members of the college? The thing is, apple give a students discount, but one has to be registered with the University for it first. Should I just give up the discount? It's 15%... ;(
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Does anyone know how quickly we become official members of the college? The thing is, apple give a students discount, but one has to be registered with the University for it first. Should I just give up the discount? It's 15%... ;(

Can you use your previous sixth form in any way?
Original post by Elcor
Can you use your previous sixth form in any way?

No! It works through Unidays, so I am registered, but one only qualifies for thee discount if one is registered for a University.

You will be able to authorise Unidays as soon as you get your cam email and can access intranets etc

I believe this is after results day, latest freshers week :smile:
Original post by Lucilou101
You will be able to authorise Unidays as soon as you get your cam email and can access intranets etc

What about deferred students? When do they get a Cam email?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucilou101

Thank-you :smile: It's very annoying that I can't just get it now. Ah, well.

Original post by jneill
If you google you can find ways of getting student discounts :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there another way of getting a similar discount?
Thank-you :smile: It's very annoying that I can't just get it now. Ah, well.

Is there another way of getting a similar discount?

You have pm

Posted from TSR Mobile
considering applying. Did you all get 95% UMS+ ? If you could tell me what you applied for and your UMS it would really demystify the process, having real life examples. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Big Blue Machine
considering applying. Did you all get 95% UMS+ ? If you could tell me what you applied for and your UMS it would really demystify the process, having real life examples. Thanks :smile:

Medicine, 92% avg, wasn't pooled. The 95% + thing is a myth, as long as it's 85% + it shouldn't really be a problem assuming there are other good bits to your application

Giving an indication on whether you are an Arts/Science student will help.

Generally I find, Arts students can get away with 85%+ UMS. If you have extenuating circumstances however you could get in with possibly lower than that. What's really important is getting across your dedication/passion for your subject. At times, your degree could get quite tedious, the workload may get incredibly intense and your morale may decrease rapidly. So showing a genuine interest at the interview will help with your chances.

I suppose the same applies for the sciences except I imagine UMS demands are higher.

There's actually a 2016 applicants thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3370493
What're you applying for? I applied for physical natural sciences having either an 88% or 89% average ( still not sure how it's calculated), which is considered low. I think individual cases are less likely to demystify the process than knowing that, generally, offer holders have anything between 85%-100% in a normal-ish distribution.
If you fall within this range (excluding extenuating cirumstances), then apply. Simples :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending