The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alabelle
Hope everyone is enjoying NQT induction!

Was just wondering whether anyone knew anything about when TA jobs usually come out. I've been applying to local TA jobs but there aren't many of them and I haven't even had an interview yet. Will there be more coming out closer to July or is this likely to be it?

Sorry to hear you've not been getting anywhere. I regularly look at support vacancies and in my area there is LOADS of TA jobs at the moment! And there normally always is. As for the time of year I would imagine there is still some more to come but there will be an understandable drought in August (although I wouldn't rule out some jobs coming up). Support jobs, in my experience, do have a year round turn over, as opposed to teaching going through peaks.

I believe they do a supply system for TAs. I imagine it would be harder to get any days than teaching, but my mum is a TA and she's done that in the past, as have some of her colleagues.
Original post by Tombola
Yeah, that is the impression I get as well. It certainly does feel like some students may benefit from working independently as opposed to constantly being distracted by someone else.

I got the whole collaborative discussions being useful to the students but during my placement I can't say I used group discussions that often when I think back on everything. I was much more likely to do paired talk partners?

I think it's almost expected at primary school level that children are seated in groups. I've only seen the rows thing in Y6 as well as horse shoe.

I've seen rows in year one. It was horrific.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
I've seen rows in year one. It was horrific.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds oddly interesting...
What was it like?

Then again it sounds really impractical if you are doing carousels and focus groups which I imagine to be part of reception/Y1.
Original post by Tombola
That sounds oddly interesting...
What was it like?

Then again it sounds really impractical if you are doing carousels and focus groups which I imagine to be part of reception/Y1.

Well I am an early years (nursery and reception) person. So the children wouldn't even have desks in my room as that's not how eyfs is meant to work. Personally I'm of the opinion this should carry on til at least 7 years but you don't get that in many year one and two classrooms. Even then though there is plenty of moving around, talking, play etc.

It was just bizarre. It was really, really quiet. Too quiet for the age of the children. And they were all facing the teacher... Which again is just bizarre if its for more than a few minutes on a carpet. I want five year olds to be using their natural inquisitiveness and developing good learning, social, physical and language skills. Sharing stories in a book corner that feels comfortable. Writing across all the areas of the room, not just at a desk. Playing outside. Not sitting and listening to me drawl on.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got the job. I'm quite pleased as it sounds much better than I expected and the college looks very nice, plus the staff were lovely. The pay is also much better than I expected. My aim when I started the PGCE was always to teach A-Level Politics and that is what I'll be doing, so I guess you could say I've achieved my goal.
Original post by Airfairy
I got the job. I'm quite pleased as it sounds much better than I expected and the college looks very nice, plus the staff were lovely. The pay is also much better than I expected. My aim when I started the PGCE was always to teach A-Level Politics and that is what I'll be doing, so I guess you could say I've achieved my goal.

Hooray! That's wonderful news! I'm so happy for you!

Well done, congrats ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Hooray! That's wonderful news! I'm so happy for you!

Original post by Jellybean26!
Well done, congrats ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! There's so few jobs in A-Level Politics (that aren't combined with History or something) so I feel very lucky to have gotten it. :smile:
Thanks! There's so few jobs in A-Level Politics (that aren't combined with History or something) so I feel very lucky to have gotten it. :smile:

Indeed so. Enjoy!

Congratulations!
Well done Airfairy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations :smile:

I really hope you have a super positive experience, and am so happy that you've gotten more in to teaching. NQT year is tough but also fun and a great learning experience.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww :hugs: . Related to what? Your NQT year?

Everything really. PGCE write up due Monday, had a week from hell and just collapsing. :frown:
Sorry to hear you've not been getting anywhere. I regularly look at support vacancies and in my area there is LOADS of TA jobs at the moment! And there normally always is. As for the time of year I would imagine there is still some more to come but there will be an understandable drought in August (although I wouldn't rule out some jobs coming up). Support jobs, in my experience, do have a year round turn over, as opposed to teaching going through peaks.

I believe they do a supply system for TAs. I imagine it would be harder to get any days than teaching, but my mum is a TA and she's done that in the past, as have some of her colleagues.

I got a call this evening offering me an interview on Monday morning. Very exciting!

Congratulations!

Woohoo! Congratulations!!
Original post by lantan
Everything really. PGCE write up due Monday, had a week from hell and just collapsing. :frown:

We all have a bad week. If I were you, I would take the Saturday off and complete the write up on Sunday. If you jump straight I'm into your write after a bad week, you will not be as productive.

Good luck Lantan! :wink:
Original post by lantan

Oh I'm sorry. I know some weeks just can't get any worse. It's nearly over though. Your PGCE is finishing late! You have the summer to relaz soon.
Original post by kpwxx
Congratulations :smile:

I really hope you have a super positive experience, and am so happy that you've gotten more in to teaching. NQT year is tough but also fun and a great learning experience.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: . It's part time so it won't quite be an NQT year but that doesn't bother me. I'm expecting it tobe hard work because I'll be the sole politics teacher but I guess it's good experience!
Original post by alabelle
I got a call this evening offering me an interview on Monday morning. Very exciting!

Congratulations!

Oooh good luck with that. Let us know how it goes. I can't believe how complex TA interviews are. I got a couple of interviews for TA level 3 (I didn't attend in the end) and they were full day things like teaching.
Original post by Red Lightning
Woohoo! Congratulations!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I'm sorry. I know some weeks just can't get any worse. It's nearly over though. Your PGCE is finishing late! You have the summer to relaz soon.

Thanks :smile: . It's part time so it won't quite be an NQT year but that doesn't bother me. I'm expecting it tobe hard work because I'll be the sole politics teacher but I guess it's good experience!

Oooh good luck with that. Let us know how it goes. I can't believe how complex TA interviews are. I got a couple of interviews for TA level 3 (I didn't attend in the end) and they were full day things like teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so happy for you! Part time should give you the space to see if this is really what you want but it sounds like the ideal first job for you. I'm the only computing teacher and it is a lot responsibility to be the only teacher with a particular subject but it definitely gives you more space to do it the way you want to.
I've got some induction days next week at my new school, and whenever I think about them I feel kinda stressed and depressed, which is worrying me slightly for September. I am hoping its all related to nerves - being somewhere new, all the colleagues I have to meet, routines to learn, etc. My PGCE only finished last week, so I feel a bit resentful that I am experiencing 'stress' again so soon, even though these days *should* be exciting, and a chance to get a bit settled at the school. I feel ridiculous saying that I'm stressed about them, because I haven't even had to plan anything for them, it's all be organised by the school. I guess reality is sinking in about the step up to NQT. Please say that someone else feels something similar!
The unknown is always stressful! You will love it once you get there and the introductions are over with. It is a great feeling teaching your own classes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending