The Student Room Group

iBSc healthcare management imperial

Hi,

Im interested in applying for intercalation in the above course and was wondering if anyone has done it/knows anyone who did it and can give some insight into the course. I am keen to do it, but would like to know abit more on the content, work load (I'm not from London so would like to make the most of my year there if I get in).

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by derma2019
Hi,

Im interested in applying for intercalation in the above course and was wondering if anyone has done it/knows anyone who did it and can give some insight into the course. I am keen to do it, but would like to know abit more on the content, work load (I'm not from London so would like to make the most of my year there if I get in).

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hey, was an external at Imperial doing management this year, what would you like to know? :smile:
Original post by cmkable
Hey, was an external at Imperial doing management this year, what would you like to know? :smile:

What your experience was like? What bits you enjoyed / didn't?
Reply 3
Original post by ameelia22
What your experience was like? What bits you enjoyed / didn't?

I´d highly recommend it if you´re interested in management - we did a lot of new things that you wouldn´t otherwise get to learn in medicine (for example I now know how to design a website, understand basic company accounts, how to write a business plan etc) and the teaching was mostly top notch. Ngl I went in thinking it would be a bit of a doss year, and it turned out to be anything but. Whilst there aren´t many contact hours per week (maybe 8-10 at most in a week, though it varies), you spend a lot of your time doing group work so it ended up being pretty much as time intensive as Medicine. Having said that there is time for everything and it was great living in London for a year, there´s always plenty to do! I´d say the only thing that let it down a bit is the organisation of the course, which isn´t great, and having exams after xmas, which was a bit of a pain. However the course in itself is really good, and the imperial lot are lovely bunch!
Reply 4
Original post by cmkable
I´d highly recommend it if you´re interested in management - we did a lot of new things that you wouldn´t otherwise get to learn in medicine (for example I now know how to design a website, understand basic company accounts, how to write a business plan etc) and the teaching was mostly top notch. Ngl I went in thinking it would be a bit of a doss year, and it turned out to be anything but. Whilst there aren´t many contact hours per week (maybe 8-10 at most in a week, though it varies), you spend a lot of your time doing group work so it ended up being pretty much as time intensive as Medicine. Having said that there is time for everything and it was great living in London for a year, there´s always plenty to do! I´d say the only thing that let it down a bit is the organisation of the course, which isn´t great, and having exams after xmas, which was a bit of a pain. However the course in itself is really good, and the imperial lot are lovely bunch!

Thank you!! sounds fab, but I'm not sure I really know what management is or anything haha I literally don't know what it is but it just sounds cool so thought of applying for it.
Is there anything I could read to see the content to ensure its something I'll enjoy, because it'll be a pretty new area for me. Glad to hear your positive experience. I'm torn between two courses really and also want to go to London for the London experience as well. I've found year 1 medicine okay so far, so if the work load is similar it sounds okay, not sure what to expected for year two though.
Reply 5
Thank you!! sounds fab, but I'm not sure I really know what management is or anything haha I literally don't know what it is but it just sounds cool so thought of applying for it.
Is there anything I could read to see the content to ensure its something I'll enjoy, because it'll be a pretty new area for me. Glad to hear your positive experience. I'm torn between two courses really and also want to go to London for the London experience as well. I've found year 1 medicine okay so far, so if the work load is similar it sounds okay, not sure what to expected for year two though.

If you google it there´s plenty of information - the programme handbook probably has as much information as you need https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/study/undergraduate/managementoverview201415.pdf
Reply 6
[QUOTE="cmkable;57683885"]If you google it there´s plenty of information - the programme handbook probably has as much information as you need https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/study/undergraduate/managementoverview201415.pdf[/QUOTE]

This is fab thank you! Is there anywhere displaying the results for the year? Kings college also offer this course and they look pretty much identical.
Reply 7
[QUOTE="derma2019;57686499"]
Original post by cmkable
If you google it there´s plenty of information - the programme handbook probably has as much information as you need https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/study/undergraduate/managementoverview201415.pdf[/QUOTE]

This is fab thank you! Is there anywhere displaying the results for the year? Kings college also offer this course and they look pretty much identical.

Results? As in what people got? Erm I think thats confidential. Yes its modelled on the Imperial course which was the original one.
Reply 8
[QUOTE="cmkable;57686879"]

Results? As in what people got? Erm I think thats confidential. Yes its modelled on the Imperial course which was the original one.

Ohh right, okay thank you! Just wanted an idea aha because king's college last year has 10 and 14, 1sts and 2:1s respectively.
Reply 9
[QUOTE="cmkable;57686879"]

Ohh also, what are the research opportunities like? I'm torn between Imp and King's :frown:
Reply 10
[QUOTE="derma2019;57699071"]
Original post by cmkable

Ohh also, what are the research opportunities like? I'm torn between Imp and King's :frown:

They´re pretty much guaranteed because you have to do a group project at the end of the year.
Reply 11
Original post by cmkable

Hey,
sorry to bother you! Was thinking of starting my application now, as I've got nothing to do and the PS is meant to be 2 A4 sides? I was wondering if you could help me out with what to write :smile: Could write about a page based on extra curriculars and achievements so far maybe, but I don't know what to write about the subject.
Reply 12
Hey,
sorry to bother you! Was thinking of starting my application now, as I've got nothing to do and the PS is meant to be 2 A4 sides? I was wondering if you could help me out with what to write :smile: Could write about a page based on extra curriculars and achievements so far maybe, but I don't know what to write about the subject.

Why you find Management interesting -relate it to current topics in the media, also what do you bring to the course and why it suits you, how you work in a team and the specific reasons that have made you want to apply to the Imperial course in particular are all good places to start. I did a work experience placement with the management team of a hospital as I wanted to make sure its something I was genuinely interested before I spent a year studying the subject and directed my career towards it, so I also talked about my experiences doing that. But that is much much more than above and beyond whats expected, I just did it cause at the time I wasn´t 100% sure if that was the right choice for me, though in the end I loved every minute of it and it proved to be really insightful, its a whole new side of the hospital that you never really get to see as a med student! I feel your pain, there really isn´t much guidance on the statement at all but hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest