The Student Room Group

The official BTEC results discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by cnova
It's happened to my entire class, minus myself and a few others. Some have failed and been removed. The others are just getting passes.

Oh dear, that must have been real bad. Like yourself, I finished my 1st year with all 9 D's where all my work was internally verified. I was lucky somehow, to come out with those grades.

Having just finished my second year now, I was able to secure all 10 D's which includes two extra units. This pretty much gives me 20 Distinctions, which gives me a firm D*D*D* Overall.

I wish u all the best for your second year. Just make sure that your work is your own and that u don't let others copy from u.
The college will tell us when we have to get them? Is that all assignments or the second year.. i did not get any of my assignments from my first year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by rolierol
The college will tell us when we have to get them? Is that all assignments or the second year.. i did not get any of my assignments from my first year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the end of your second year, u will get all your assignments, from the 1st and 2nd year together.

Hope this helped :-)
Thank you.. finished my btec ages ago as well.. now waiting for results which is sooo worrying.. ~~

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by rkhan57
What new rules?

There were new rules put in place for people who started their BTEC level 3 this past September.

Basically, before students could essentially have an unlimited number of submissions on their assignments. For example, people who only got a pass, could submit it again and again, until they reached a distinction. However, now there is a maximum of 2 submissions and there is also a prerequisite for getting the second submission - The first submission must not only attempt all criteria but must also be close to getting.

For the resubmissions people were receiving detailed feedback that essentially told them what they had to include in order to get the criteria, whereas now feedback is vague and much more general.

It's not only the above that has been changed, the assignment briefs themselves have been altered to 'hide' the criteria and what you need to do to get the criteria, meaning the student must research the units specification to decipher what is needed.

Finally, people were getting distinctions with a menial amount of work, this puts us BTEC students in a bad light because distinctions (overall) are equivalent to A grade at A level. In order to amend this, the above has been implemented and in order to get the higher criteria, students must do much more research and go into more depth in their assignments.

However, the above is what SHOULD be done in all colleges (as is the case with mine and most others). However in some colleges they disregard the new rules and only make it appear as if they have followed them, though this will be detrimental when they realise the students that get into higher tier universities from that course have a major disparity in skills compared to other BTEC students.
Reply 45
Original post by cnova
There were new rules put in place for people who started their BTEC level 3 this past September.

Basically, before students could essentially have an unlimited number of submissions on their assignments. For example, people who only got a pass, could submit it again and again, until they reached a distinction. However, now there is a maximum of 2 submissions and there is also a prerequisite for getting the second submission - The first submission must not only attempt all criteria but must also be close to getting.

For the resubmissions people were receiving detailed feedback that essentially told them what they had to include in order to get the criteria, whereas now feedback is vague and much more general.

It's not only the above that has been changed, the assignment briefs themselves have been altered to 'hide' the criteria and what you need to do to get the criteria, meaning the student must research the units specification to decipher what is needed.

Finally, people were getting distinctions with a menial amount of work, this puts us BTEC students in a bad light because distinctions (overall) are equivalent to A grade at A level. In order to amend this, the above has been implemented and in order to get the higher criteria, students must do much more research and go into more depth in their assignments.

However, the above is what SHOULD be done in all colleges (as is the case with mine and most others). However in some colleges they disregard the new rules and only make it appear as if they have followed them, though this will be detrimental when they realise the students that get into higher tier universities from that course have a major disparity in skills compared to other BTEC students.

I only had a maximun of 2 submissions when i did my BTEC 2 years ago
Reply 46
Original post by yt7777
I only had a maximun of 2 submissions when i did my BTEC 2 years ago

Oh. You had it much tougher than other BTEC students at that time, then.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by cnova
Oh. You had it much tougher than other BTEC students at that time, then.
thats what it was always meant to be - you should always have an initial and re submission

I believe now they only have one submission
Reply 48
Original post by yt7777
thats what it was always meant to be - you should always have an initial and re submission

I believe now they only have one submission

All other students I've met/spoken to in various schools and colleges and also those at my college in previous years had the rules I mentioned.

The submission rules for this year aren't just a single submission, either. it's as I previously mentioned it.
Reply 49
Original post by cnova
All other students I've met/spoken to in various schools and colleges and also those at my college in previous years had the rules I mentioned.

The submission rules for this year aren't just a single submission, either. it's as I previously mentioned it.

Oh right, i think my old college is working on a single submission rule
Reply 50
My track has updated to unconditional!:biggrin:
Reply 51
Original post by Rixion

When did you sign off?
Reply 52
Original post by rkhan57
When did you sign off?

At the end of May
Original post by cnova

I think schools just chose whatever worked best for teachers within the rules set. We had a two submission rule but other's had a one submission system. Mine went on the idea that the first one was the pupil's draft and the second was their final. I think that was pretty much standard across all teachers I spoke to.

Original post by Rixion

Congrats! It's a brilliant feeling isn't it?
Reply 54
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I think schools just chose whatever worked best for teachers within the rules set. We had a two submission rule but other's had a one submission system. Mine went on the idea that the first one was the pupil's draft and the second was their final. I think that was pretty much standard across all teachers I spoke to.

Has yours turned uc?
Original post by rkhan57
Has yours turned uc?

Nope, I completed mine years ago. I'm a teacher so I've been seeing my pupils turn unconditional :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by ParadoxSocks

Thanks! And massively, I used this weekend to celebrate my two years of hard work. I wasn't expecting the result until the end of July either :biggrin:
Reply 57
I don't think you have to wait until August to receieve your certificates as my certificate arrived at my college today and I am going to pick it up tomorrow. It must have something to do with when your college sent off your work as not everybody in my class has their certificates yet. If that helps :-)
Reply 58
Original post by zoe_l
I don't think you have to wait until August to receieve your certificates as my certificate arrived at my college today and I am going to pick it up tomorrow. It must have something to do with when your college sent off your work as not everybody in my class has their certificates yet. If that helps :-)

When did you sign off?
How did you know they got your certificate?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending