The Student Room Group

Biology vs Chemistry

I want to take psychology and maths for A-Level because I want to go down the psychology route at uni, but with research I found that most uni's like a science...

So I was wondering how well chemistry went with psychology and how well biology went with psychology as I would probably have to choose one of them and I'm not sure which one would be best!
Reply 1
Biology affects the study of psychology in many ways:
1. Genetics-you'll gain most of your understanding of genetics from your bio courses. Genetics can have an influence on psychological disorders such as schizophrenia, among other things. And your DNA effects, well...you in your entirety.
2. Chemistry-you don't really do chemistry in bio, you're just introduced to the concept of it. Biochemistry effects your behavior and such.
3. Nervous system-as you know, this includes your brain, spinal cord, neurons, etc...I don't know about you, but I love reading about behavior of people who have nervous system injuries. And you certainly need understanding of neurons, neurotransmitters, etc (neurotransmitters are a different section I guess, but anyway).
4. Endocrine system-this is a big one. Your hormones control tons of stuff that can affect how you feel and your behavior. I was blown off and told I was depressed or 'its just anxiety' for years and I had endocrine system problems.
5. Ethology-in most bio courses there will be a section on animal behavior. This is another discipline of psychology, comparative animal behavior; comparing their behavior to humans.
6. Evolution-even if you don't believe in it, you should understand it. I was taught it before, but I learned more about it this year. Many psychologists have theories about our behavior that they base on evolution.

That okay?
biology and psychology go well together, I think above explained it well...I don't think chemistry goes well with psychology....unless it's biochemistry but even thats got biology
Reply 3
Original post by Saleha09
Biology affects the study of psychology in many ways:
1. Genetics-you'll gain most of your understanding of genetics from your bio courses. Genetics can have an influence on psychological disorders such as schizophrenia, among other things. And your DNA effects, well...you in your entirety.
2. Chemistry-you don't really do chemistry in bio, you're just introduced to the concept of it. Biochemistry effects your behavior and such.
3. Nervous system-as you know, this includes your brain, spinal cord, neurons, etc...I don't know about you, but I love reading about behavior of people who have nervous system injuries. And you certainly need understanding of neurons, neurotransmitters, etc (neurotransmitters are a different section I guess, but anyway).
4. Endocrine system-this is a big one. Your hormones control tons of stuff that can affect how you feel and your behavior. I was blown off and told I was depressed or 'its just anxiety' for years and I had endocrine system problems.
5. Ethology-in most bio courses there will be a section on animal behavior. This is another discipline of psychology, comparative animal behavior; comparing their behavior to humans.
6. Evolution-even if you don't believe in it, you should understand it. I was taught it before, but I learned more about it this year. Many psychologists have theories about our behavior that they base on evolution.

That okay?

That's great Thankyou so much! Definitely opened my eye to biology and it's really interesting to know:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by bubblegumcat
biology and psychology go well together, I think above explained it well...I don't think chemistry goes well with psychology....unless it's biochemistry but even thats got biology

Yeah I'm leaning more to the biology side! It does seem to go better with psychology...how important do you reckon it is for universities? It's one of my harder subjects so I'm held back on taking it:tongue:
Original post by abster743
Yeah I'm leaning more to the biology side! It does seem to go better with psychology...how important do you reckon it is for universities? It's one of my harder subjects so I'm held back on taking it:tongue:

I think unis prefer applicant to have at least 1/2 of psychology/maths/sciences....so it might be best to take one but it does not necessarily have to be biology. Biology is hard but if you enjoy it then it shouldn't be too much :smile:
Reply 6
I think unis prefer applicant to have at least 1/2 of psychology/maths/sciences....so it might be best to take one but it does not necessarily have to be biology. Biology is hard but if you enjoy it then it shouldn't be too much :smile:

Okay so I don't have to take biology if i'm not comfortable with it...thankyou for the help:smile:
Original post by abster743
Okay so I don't have to take biology if i'm not comfortable with it...thankyou for the help:smile:

yep, although I recommend taking another science/maths if you don't want to do biology
I'd say for Psycology the best ones to take would be: Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics.

English Lit, History, a language and Psycology would be good too.
Reply 9
Original post by Big Blue Machine
I'd say for Psycology the best ones to take would be: Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics.

English Lit, History, a language and Psycology would be good too.

Okay thankyou!:smile:
Reply 10
yep, although I recommend taking another science/maths if you don't want to do biology

Okay I'll have a look! Maybe maths :smile:
Biology all the way. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest