abster743
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want to take psychology and maths for A-Level because I want to go down the psychology route at uni, but with research I found that most uni's like a science...

So I was wondering how well chemistry went with psychology and how well biology went with psychology as I would probably have to choose one of them and I'm not sure which one would be best!
Saleha09
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Biology affects the study of psychology in many ways:
1. Genetics-you'll gain most of your understanding of genetics from your bio courses. Genetics can have an influence on psychological disorders such as schizophrenia, among other things. And your DNA effects, well...you in your entirety.
2. Chemistry-you don't really do chemistry in bio, you're just introduced to the concept of it. Biochemistry effects your behavior and such.
3. Nervous system-as you know, this includes your brain, spinal cord, neurons, etc...I don't know about you, but I love reading about behavior of people who have nervous system injuries. And you certainly need understanding of neurons, neurotransmitters, etc (neurotransmitters are a different section I guess, but anyway).
4. Endocrine system-this is a big one. Your hormones control tons of stuff that can affect how you feel and your behavior. I was blown off and told I was depressed or 'its just anxiety' for years and I had endocrine system problems.
5. Ethology-in most bio courses there will be a section on animal behavior. This is another discipline of psychology, comparative animal behavior; comparing their behavior to humans.
6. Evolution-even if you don't believe in it, you should understand it. I was taught it before, but I learned more about it this year. Many psychologists have theories about our behavior that they base on evolution.

That okay?
username1333513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
biology and psychology go well together, I think above explained it well...I don't think chemistry goes well with psychology....unless it's biochemistry but even thats got biology
abster743
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saleha09)
Biology affects the study of psychology in many ways:
1. Genetics-you'll gain most of your understanding of genetics from your bio courses. Genetics can have an influence on psychological disorders such as schizophrenia, among other things. And your DNA effects, well...you in your entirety.
2. Chemistry-you don't really do chemistry in bio, you're just introduced to the concept of it. Biochemistry effects your behavior and such.
3. Nervous system-as you know, this includes your brain, spinal cord, neurons, etc...I don't know about you, but I love reading about behavior of people who have nervous system injuries. And you certainly need understanding of neurons, neurotransmitters, etc (neurotransmitters are a different section I guess, but anyway).
4. Endocrine system-this is a big one. Your hormones control tons of stuff that can affect how you feel and your behavior. I was blown off and told I was depressed or 'its just anxiety' for years and I had endocrine system problems.
5. Ethology-in most bio courses there will be a section on animal behavior. This is another discipline of psychology, comparative animal behavior; comparing their behavior to humans.
6. Evolution-even if you don't believe in it, you should understand it. I was taught it before, but I learned more about it this year. Many psychologists have theories about our behavior that they base on evolution.

That okay?
That's great Thankyou so much! Definitely opened my eye to biology and it's really interesting to know
abster743
Rep:
?
(Original post by bubblegumcat)
biology and psychology go well together, I think above explained it well...I don't think chemistry goes well with psychology....unless it's biochemistry but even thats got biology
Yeah I'm leaning more to the biology side! It does seem to go better with psychology...how important do you reckon it is for universities? It's one of my harder subjects so I'm held back on taking it
username1333513
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abster743)
Yeah I'm leaning more to the biology side! It does seem to go better with psychology...how important do you reckon it is for universities? It's one of my harder subjects so I'm held back on taking it
I think unis prefer applicant to have at least 1/2 of psychology/maths/sciences....so it might be best to take one but it does not necessarily have to be biology. Biology is hard but if you enjoy it then it shouldn't be too much
abster743
Rep:
?
I think unis prefer applicant to have at least 1/2 of psychology/maths/sciences....so it might be best to take one but it does not necessarily have to be biology. Biology is hard but if you enjoy it then it shouldn't be too much
Okay so I don't have to take biology if i'm not comfortable with it...thankyou for the help
username1333513
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abster743)
Okay so I don't have to take biology if i'm not comfortable with it...thankyou for the help
yep, although I recommend taking another science/maths if you don't want to do biology
Big Blue Machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd say for Psycology the best ones to take would be: Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics.

English Lit, History, a language and Psycology would be good too.
abster743
Rep:
?
(Original post by Big Blue Machine)
I'd say for Psycology the best ones to take would be: Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics.

English Lit, History, a language and Psycology would be good too.
Okay thankyou!
abster743
Rep:
?
yep, although I recommend taking another science/maths if you don't want to do biology
Okay I'll have a look! Maybe maths
KittyRe-play
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Biology all the way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (676)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise