The Student Room Group

The state of hiphop is not good..

Its a dying genre all the used to be good artists are washedup and now doing other things like clothing, movies, selling food products etc.. these new guys really suck. We got rappers like Young Thug going around wearing dresses.. like wtf is going on.. people are actually buying into this ****.. the quality of music is awful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
youtube tier comment
yeah, feel your pain. hey i got a plan, why dont you go make some good hiphop music?
It's not dying at all. Loads of great Hip Hop coming out.
Czarface!!!
The Grime scene is where it's at atm. Grime is all about flow and lyricism and the scene is experiencing a major revival right now.
Reply 6
Original post by Wilfred Little
It's not dying at all. Loads of great Hip Hop coming out.

Name them then.. dont say rick ross lol. Just listenend to meek mills new album, garbage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can always go back to the old skool - White Lines Don't Do It.
Reply 8
You need to steer from the mainstream trap stuff if that's what you find bad, there are still rappers out there that keep it real with their lyrics/production
Original post by Meatlug
Name them then.. dont say rick ross lol. Just listenend to meek mills new album, garbage.

Well, Run The Jewels. Many music critic & music reviewing sites had RTJ2 as the album of the year last year, in music as a whole not just Hip Hop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJJyKlRxyvA

Elzhi and Danny Brown are another two of my favourites as well. Mello Music Group is a good label, loads of quality albums that they've released.

I could probably make a lengthy post about this full of recs, but I can't be arsed at the moment as I'm playing PES.
Original post by K.C
youtube tier comment

dae born in the wrong generation, music now sux amirite guys?
There's still some good hip hop music, but it's gone down hill alot. Late 90s - 2007 was when the best music was released imo.
Reply 12
Original post by WoodyMKC
The Grime scene is where it's at atm. Grime is all about flow and lyricism and the scene is experiencing a major revival right now.

Can't get into grime for some reason. Probably cos I'm used to hearing feelings/emotions come through in rappers' voices, and with grime they seem kinda blunt most of the time
Reply 13

Lol grime? Really? That **** lasted six months

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meatlug
Lol grime? Really? That **** lasted six months

Posted from TSR Mobile

Started over 10 years ago, is stronger than it's ever been right now. If you can't see why grime is one of the realest forms of hip hop around these days then you can't really call yourself a hip hop fan IMHO. Grime is what true gangsta rap used to be - hard hitting lyrics, insane punchlines and metaphors and aggressive flows and beats.
There is still a lot of quality music out there, you just have to look for it.
Reply 16
Started over 10 years ago, is stronger than it's ever been right now. If you can't see why grime is one of the realest forms of hip hop around these days then you can't really call yourself a hip hop fan IMHO. Grime is what true gangsta rap used to be - hard hitting lyrics, insane punchlines and metaphors and aggressive flows and beats.

Hiphop and gangster rap are different for a start. This isnt the era of NWA mate. Grime has never been that big, its not known worldwide so dont know how not being knowledgeable of it makes me an untrue hiphop fan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meatlug
Hiphop and gangster rap are different for a start. This isnt the era of NWA mate. Grime has never been that big, its not known worldwide so dont know how not being knowledgeable of it makes me an untrue hiphop fan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair points, but putting it down suggests that you've actually given it an honest listen - if not, then the negative view on it is unwarranted really. I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but if you look at all the guys that people label as the greatest lyricists of all time (and for good reason tbf) - Pac, Biggie, Nas, Eminem, Big L and so on - the best Grime MCs are just as lyrically talented as those guys IMO.

Maybe we're reading from different pages here though - if by hip hop you mean lyrics with emotion, depth, substance... yeah, you get a few grime tracks that fit that description, but in general that's not what grime is about; it's about punchlines, metaphors and general lyrical skill which goes back to the origins of hip hop. So maybe grime isn't your cup of tea, I dunno anything about your musical taste obviously :smile:

I'm mid 20s and I remember it being big at the time and I can tell you Grime is dead right now. Nowhere near what it was like when I was getting into it because back then it was particularly experimental, and it was new. I can still remember hearing Pow on the radio for the first time and thinking wtf. Why exactly do you think it's stronger now than it was 10 years ago? It peaked in 2003/4.

It isn't stronger, it's just merged with Hip-Hop. Pretty much anything you post that you like now will either not be Grime or it will be Grime but a rehashed version of it.

And yeah, there are no Grime MCs on the level of L or Nas. I guarantee I know what is coming out of their mouths before they've even spat a lyric.
There's so much good stuff out atm, just there's a lot of people releasing **** as well

Quick Reply

Latest