The Student Room Group

A-Level choices leading to uni...

I am just about to start my A-Levels and for a while I have known that I want to study psychology at uni.

I am a bit stuck on what A-Levels would be best to take if I was to follow this route...I definitely would take psychology and maths but i'm stuck on what else as I think I would find the sciences quite hard! A lot of uni's look for a science so I'm not sure!

But if anyone knows what would be best to take at A-Level (besides psychology and maths) that would help me in a psychology course at uni that would be great!
The options I like best are sociology, media, history and french and then the harder ones being chem and bio so I'm a little stuck! I know bio would be best in some ways but I have to bare in mind that i might find it really difficult :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abster743
I am just about to start my A-Levels and for a while I have known that I want to study psychology at uni.

I am a bit stuck on what A-Levels would be best to take if I was to follow this route...I definitely would take psychology and maths but i'm stuck on what else as I think I would find the sciences quite hard! A lot of uni's look for a science so I'm not sure!

But if anyone knows what would be best to take at A-Level (besides psychology and maths) that would help me in a psychology course at uni that would be great!
The options I like best are sociology, media, history and french and then the harder ones being chem and bio so I'm a little stuck! I know bio would be best in some ways but I have to bare in mind that i might find it really difficult :smile:

I would suggest History and French, or Sociology and French, though history would be better for keeping you're options open for if you change your mind :smile: Definitely carry on with both Maths and Psychology to A2, as many unis ask for two A Levels in the sciences+maths for psychology, most counting psychology A level as a science. :smile: Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by kiera28
I would suggest History and French, or Sociology and French, though history would be better for keeping you're options open for if you change your mind :smile: Definitely carry on with both Maths and Psychology to A2, as many unis ask for two A Levels in the sciences+maths for psychology, most counting psychology A level as a science. :smile: Good luck!

Thankyou!:smile: The other problem I have is that a few of those clash which is so annoying, making it harder for me to choose! But thank you for your advice! I'll keep it all in mind!:smile:
I would suggest sociology and media or french, after all there is no point taking an A level in a subject if you don't like it!.
In regards to the sciences, as long as you take psychology universities will be interested, the only difference is some universities take more students from a social science background wheres some take more students from a natural sciences background, but with maths you will be fine! :smile:

Most unis class Psychology as a 'relevant science A2', so you'll probably be fine. Sociology fits in very well with Psychology (I take both). Tbh as long as you're taking Psychology and Maths you can pretty much choose anything you want. I take Psychology, Sociology and Film Studies and was told by several unis (inc. Russell Group ones) that this combo was fine for Psychology as I only took one 'creative subject'. However I'm not planning on doing Psychology at uni anymore.

So I'd say the best subject combo out of the subjects you've given would be Psychology, Sociology, Maths and French because unis like languages :biggrin:

Hope this helps!
Both psychology and maths are classed as sciences, so just choose two subjects you'll enjoy.
Reply 6
Psychology at AS and A2 have heavy biological units, and undoubtedly will include it at degree level. Biology is most appropriate (if you can't do biology as it's too hard, perhaps you should consider if you can do Psychology). History is extremely useful in terms of the depth of study and written communication; two essential components of Psychology.

History (AS) then Biology, Maths, Psychology (AS + A2).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by GingerChar
I would suggest sociology and media or french, after all there is no point taking an A level in a subject if you don't like it!.
In regards to the sciences, as long as you take psychology universities will be interested, the only difference is some universities take more students from a social science background wheres some take more students from a natural sciences background, but with maths you will be fine! :smile:

Thankyou! That's good to know:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by emiloujess
Most unis class Psychology as a 'relevant science A2', so you'll probably be fine. Sociology fits in very well with Psychology (I take both). Tbh as long as you're taking Psychology and Maths you can pretty much choose anything you want. I take Psychology, Sociology and Film Studies and was told by several unis (inc. Russell Group ones) that this combo was fine for Psychology as I only took one 'creative subject'. However I'm not planning on doing Psychology at uni anymore.

So I'd say the best subject combo out of the subjects you've given would be Psychology, Sociology, Maths and French because unis like languages :biggrin:

Hope this helps!

Okay Thankyou! That's really helped and made me think more about what else I could take:tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by loperdoper
Both psychology and maths are classed as sciences, so just choose two subjects you'll enjoy.

That's interesting and good to know! Thankyou:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by jcsiah
Psychology at AS and A2 have heavy biological units, and undoubtedly will include it at degree level. Biology is most appropriate (if you can't do biology as it's too hard, perhaps you should consider if you can do Psychology). History is extremely useful in terms of the depth of study and written communication; two essential components of Psychology.

History (AS) then Biology, Maths, Psychology (AS + A2).

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good point, I might look into it all to see. History is good and I really enjoy history! Thankyou:smile:

Try to stick to the arts/humanities side of things, rather than the solely scientific subjects. I think you'll find that they are more flexible, especially when applying to university. Perhaps consider one science, and history/french or sociology?

:smile:

History and French.

Maths and Psychology cover the science base between then.

Better to do well those than to fail Biology :smile:
Okay Thankyou! That's really helped and made me think more about what else I could take:tongue:

No problem :biggrin: Btw if you end up taking OCR Psychology or AQA Sociology (depending on what topics your college chooses) PM me if you need help with anything :smile:
Reply 14
Do what you enjoy would be my best advice! I did sociology and history (both aqa) the workload seemed oKay and I felt they complemented each other well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by AMT6
Try to stick to the arts/humanities side of things, rather than the solely scientific subjects. I think you'll find that they are more flexible, especially when applying to university. Perhaps consider one science, and history/french or sociology?

:smile:

Okay thankyou! Yeah I might stay away from doing a lot of science. I'll look into those options so thank you:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Smonnie
History and French.

Maths and Psychology cover the science base between then.

Better to do well those than to fail Biology :smile:

That is true:smile: Thankyou!
Reply 17
Original post by emiloujess
No problem :biggrin: Btw if you end up taking OCR Psychology or AQA Sociology (depending on what topics your college chooses) PM me if you need help with anything :smile:

Thankyou!! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by J56
Do what you enjoy would be my best advice! I did sociology and history (both aqa) the workload seemed oKay and I felt they complemented each other well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think I will! Thank you :smile:
Thankyou!! :biggrin:

Just a random point but not sure how important your subject choice is - its more grades focused. I know people doing psychology at uni who didn't even take it for A level.

I do a joint honours course with psychology - my A2 subjects were psychology sociology RS (philosophy and ethics) and English lit/lang combined. No other maths/science in sight (I hate maths - my definite weakness lol)!

Do what you enjoy - better chance of good grades that way.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest