The Student Room Group

Dietetics

I was wondering that what makes people choose this course?
What type of person would this course be useful for?
Is this course very lab based?

I'm not sure whether this course is for me. I like helping people, making a difference in people life, giving advice and just communicating with them in general. I do have this thing about health and disease and to curing diseases. I'm not really into food but i know the basics e.g. don't intake too much sugar if your obese etc.

It's quite normal to being confused about what course to do at uni i suppose...
Reply 1
I am also considering this course one benefit is it's covered by the NHS so no fees but it's very focused on becoming a dietitian so if you don't want to become one probably avoid this course. I shadowed a dietician last week it's similar to being a doctor but instead of treating illness with medicine you treat it with food giving advice on specific diets and working out what's wrong with people based on their symptoms. If you do the course I gather it's quite science based chemistry and biology mostly and then obviously you learn about the effect of food on health. You do placements within the NHS working as a dietitian so you will get a feel for if it's what you want to do. My recommendation is to try and find a dietician to shadow so you can see if it's the kind of job you really want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hollyht
I am also considering this course one benefit is it's covered by the NHS so no fees but it's very focused on becoming a dietitian so if you don't want to become one probably avoid this course. I shadowed a dietician last week it's similar to being a doctor but instead of treating illness with medicine you treat it with food giving advice on specific diets and working out what's wrong with people based on their symptoms. If you do the course I gather it's quite science based chemistry and biology mostly and then obviously you learn about the effect of food on health. You do placements within the NHS working as a dietitian so you will get a feel for if it's what you want to do. My recommendation is to try and find a dietician to shadow so you can see if it's the kind of job you really want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to shadow one but they've never replied to my email. Where abouts did you do the shadowing?
Reply 3
Yeah it was kinda tricky for me to get shadowing I did it at Springfield hospital Chelmsford Essex if you live local if not I would recommend contacting private hospital dieticians

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hollyht
Yeah it was kinda tricky for me to get shadowing I did it at Springfield hospital Chelmsford Essex if you live local if not I would recommend contacting private hospital dieticians

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right.. I'll ring them if they don't reply my email by Monday.
What made u consider this course. ? Are you into nutrition. ?
Reply 5
Original post by Uz25
Oh right.. I'll ring them if they don't reply my email by Monday.
What made u consider this course. ? Are you into nutrition. ?

Yes well I got quite into nutrition and healthy eating I saw a lot of documentarys on it. I originally wanted to do medicine and become a doctor then I didn't really fancy the whole 5 years at medical school thing haha so I thought dietetics is similar and more based on something I have a stronger interest in I guess.
Original post by Hollyht
Yes well I got quite into nutrition and healthy eating I saw a lot of documentarys on it. I originally wanted to do medicine and become a doctor then I didn't really fancy the whole 5 years at medical school thing haha so I thought dietetics is similar and more based on something I have a stronger interest in I guess.

Wow! That's good. Aha well good for you.

I'm the type of person that enjoys helping people, giving advice and feel joyful to know that i've helped someone to feel better. I've never really thought about nutrition however, i do have that thought about curing diseases or giving advice to help people cure their disease/ feel better. I'm not clever to get into medical school so i was considering doing biomedical science but that only leads to lab based careers.

Nutrition is essential, without it people would have no energy and people vitamins would shoot down creating diseases such as: diabetes, glucose intolerence etc. I think it's like just how certain medicine helps people, this course would be like how certain food helps people.

I just don't know what course to do tbh....
Original post by Uz25
Wow! That's good. Aha well good for you.

I'm the type of person that enjoys helping people, giving advice and feel joyful to know that i've helped someone to feel better. I've never really thought about nutrition however, i do have that thought about curing diseases or giving advice to help people cure their disease/ feel better. I'm not clever to get into medical school so i was considering doing biomedical science but that only leads to lab based careers.

Nutrition is essential, without it people would have no energy and people vitamins would shoot down creating diseases such as: diabetes, glucose intolerence etc. I think it's like just how certain medicine helps people, this course would be like how certain food helps people.

I just don't know what course to do tbh....

Anyone. ..

Quick Reply

Latest