The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adastraz
I've got some induction days next week at my new school, and whenever I think about them I feel kinda stressed and depressed, which is worrying me slightly for September. I am hoping its all related to nerves - being somewhere new, all the colleagues I have to meet, routines to learn, etc. My PGCE only finished last week, so I feel a bit resentful that I am experiencing 'stress' again so soon, even though these days *should* be exciting, and a chance to get a bit settled at the school. I feel ridiculous saying that I'm stressed about them, because I haven't even had to plan anything for them, it's all be organised by the school. I guess reality is sinking in about the step up to NQT. Please say that someone else feels something similar!

Honestly you will be fine. I finished my induction week yesterday and it was really fun. It will be the first you will be going to a school without planning for a single lesson, so enjoy it!!

Induction week is quite good opportunity to ask questions, that way you won't be scared come September.
Original post by alabelle
I got a call this evening offering me an interview on Monday morning. Very exciting!
That's great news - what's it for?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
That's great news - what's it for?

Full time TA in KS2! I'm considering taking some evidence from out of my teaching file along of progress I have helped children make or things I have done? Does anyone think that is a good idea or just a bit over enthusiastic?
Full time TA in KS2! I'm considering taking some evidence from out of my teaching file along of progress I have helped children make or things I have done? Does anyone think that is a good idea or just a bit over enthusiastic?

Sounds like just the ticket. As for the evidence, I'm not really up to speed on how interviews go these days, but it'd do no harm to keep it in your bag and produce it if the moment seems appropriate, I'd guess. Good luck!

I think this sounds good. I went for a technically non teaching job, in a nursery, and took a folder with what I felt was relevant, they actually enjoyed looking at it :smile: (and I got the job).

You having a deeper understanding of learning and experience can only be good. Just make sure you know answers for questions about how you're good at working under direction, how you are enthusiastic about this role and are not just looking for something to tide you over etc.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds like just the ticket. As for the evidence, I'm not really up to speed on how interviews go these days, but it'd do no harm to keep it in your bag and produce it if the moment seems appropriate, I'd guess. Good luck!

Thank you!

Original post by kpwxx
I think this sounds good. I went for a technically non teaching job, in a nursery, and took a folder with what I felt was relevant, they actually enjoyed looking at it :smile: (and I got the job).

You having a deeper understanding of learning and experience can only be good. Just make sure you know answers for questions about how you're good at working under direction, how you are enthusiastic about this role and are not just looking for something to tide you over etc.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your advice, I will take that on board. It helps that I am actually really enthusiastic about the job. It's all the bits I liked about teaching (intervention work, leading groups, 1:1 support) that I enjoyed, without the relentless planning and marking! Obviously there are challenges in TA work but I'm really hoping to get the job. Did a trial shift at a pub last night and was bored silly!
Had the interview, just waiting to hear back now. Was talking to two girls before I went in to be interviewed - when the deputy head came to collect me he said 'oh, you've already met her then!' Turns out the job is a 1:1 position and I'd just been talking to the child I'd be working with. Interview was quite quick as I don't think my answers were long enough. Hope it was good enough!
Had the interview, just waiting to hear back now. Was talking to two girls before I went in to be interviewed - when the deputy head came to collect me he said 'oh, you've already met her then!' Turns out the job is a 1:1 position and I'd just been talking to the child I'd be working with. Interview was quite quick as I don't think my answers were long enough. Hope it was good enough!

Let us know xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy

Thanks, I will. Haven't heard anything yet though so starting to think it might be a no :frown:
Thanks, I will. Haven't heard anything yet though so starting to think it might be a no :frown:

Did they say when you'd hear?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did they say when you'd hear?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They said it would be tonight. I somehow missed their call earlier so I've rang up to let them know and am waiting for the head to call back! Have felt sick with nerves all day.
They said it would be tonight. I somehow missed their call earlier so I've rang up to let them know and am waiting for the head to call back! Have felt sick with nerves all day.

Oh no, I can't believe you missed it! Well the fact they didn't leave a voicemail saying you weren't successful is promising.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree, sounds promising that they haven't just left you a voicemail! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh no, I can't believe you missed it! Well the fact they didn't leave a voicemail saying you weren't successful is promising.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by outlaw-torn
I agree, sounds promising that they haven't just left you a voicemail! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I'm going to call first thing in the morning. Fingers crossed!
I got the job guys! So happy.

Whoohoo! I'm so happy for you too!:biggrin:

Yay!! So happy for you after all the stress you've gone through.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my goodness! Congratulations! I've been checking back all day for news. I'm so happy for you! We're all still a happy little education family :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay!! So pleased for you. Ypu deserve a break. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You need to do something to celebrate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whoohoo! I'm so happy for you too!:biggrin:

Original post by outlaw-torn
Yay!! So happy for you after all the stress you've gone through.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Oh my goodness! Congratulations! I've been checking back all day for news. I'm so happy for you! We're all still a happy little education family :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay!! So pleased for you. Ypu deserve a break. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You need to do something to celebrate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you guys! It's my birthday on Friday so this is excellent timing. I can't wait to start in September!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending