The Student Room Group

Universities just outside london

Hello, I am looking for Universities that are on the outskirts of London such as Royal Holloway since I wanted to live at home. I live in South London and will be driving so any Universities with a travel time of 1-1 1/2 hours would be fine.
Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by gilberta
Hello, I am looking for Universities that are on the outskirts of London such as Royal Holloway since I wanted to live at home. I live in South London and will be driving so any Universities with a travel time of 1-1 1/2 hours would be fine.
Thank you

What about Kent or Surrey?
Reply 2
Brunel or Kingston
How about University of Oxford?
Aside from those mentioned above: St Margrets also Winchester is a bit further afield but still an 1-1.15 hr drive from South London
royal holloway, kingston, roehampton, kent and surrey maybe :smile:
Brunel, Reading and Loughborough perhaps?
Southampton's maybe a smidge farther (about half an hour on from Winchester), but I know a couple mature students who commuted from London for at least first year there.
Reply 8
Just of an interest - what is the point to live in London but study elsewhere?
Thank you

Assuming you don't have a disibility before you set your heart on driving to university you need to look at the parking situation- not all universities have provision for students to park on campus and those that do often have restrictions on who can park there. Also do consider doing 3 hours of driving a day could be exhausting after a while.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by daryZ
Just of an interest - what is the point to live in London but study elsewhere?

I'm assuming the OP doesn't want to move away from home and the thing with most London unis is they are either really competitive to get into like LSE, UCL e.c.t or pretty naff like London Met, UEL, Middlesex. Not a lot of inbetween choice.
Reply 11
Original post by jelly1000
I'm assuming the OP doesn't want to move away from home and the thing with most London unis is they are either really competitive to get into like LSE, UCL e.c.t or pretty naff like London Met, UEL, Middlesex. Not a lot of inbetween choice.

Yep, that's exactly it. The thing with unis here in London is that they are either really competitive or really rubbish so I'm looking if there is any universities that are just about outside of London.
Reply 12
Thanks a lot for the replies. I'll look into each of these universities 😁
Reply 13
Original post by Little Toy Gun
How about University of Oxford?

I doubt I'll get into Oxford lol
Reply 14
One uni not mentioned is Reading
I doubt I'll get into Oxford lol

There's always Oxford Brookes University.
Greenwich some courses are just on the outskirts of London.
Thank you

Depends on the course you want to do, your grades, etc
Reply 18
Surrey, Reading, Kent, Sussex
I go to Greenwich its not too bad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending