The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Poor 4th set from Federer.
Incredible win for Djokovic he was just too solid and saved his best for the final. Feel for Federer but the better player won it today. First time since 2011 Djokovic has won more than 1 slam, testament to how well he's played this year
Nice win from Djokovic. Easiest £95 I ever made. I said at the beginning of the tournament that Djokovic was the clear favourite to win the title. Everyone called me a troll when I said that. Now you see why I was right. :cool:
Fatigue from the great man.

After 2012 I always thought he had just one more in him. Just one more. Bad luck to be around in the era of Djokovic (@Fizzel). Novak has proved himself one of the greatest grass court players ever, taking Federer out like that - the mental strength in the first set decided it. It's a bit depressing but that performance against Murray was one for the ages, and a gift to the tennis world.
Disappointed to say the least. Sad that Federer didn't bring his A-game today when he looked so promising on Friday. Djokovic was immaculate though except at the end of the second set. Where was the Djokovic that turned up at the finals of US Open 2012, Wimbledon 2013, US Open 2013, French Open 2014? I know this pointless fan boy whining but it's frustrating that Federer can't seem to get a break here against this guy.

Edit: And both times, here and last year, Djokovic got ran close in at least one of the earlier rounds while Roger was completely untroubled, yet Djokovic lifts the trophy both times.
(edited 8 years ago)
Strange to think that Djokovic now leads Federer 2-1 on grass, something that would've been hard to believe a couple of years ago
Federers wife really doesnt look like a tennis players wife
Djoks wife though :u::u:
Pepper hot
Djokovic is an unbelievable force, and he's very hard to beat on any given day. Federer played decent tennis but he needed to replicate Friday's performance to win. Still, he obviously had nothing to prove and Djokovic was too good on the day.

Novak is definitely racking up his slam count now. I reckon he might equal Sampras by the end of his career.
Andrew Castle just can't help himself; whenever there is no one else speaking he thinks he has to fill the gap with utter ****.
Original post by ThatPerson
Andrew Castle just can't help himself; whenever there is no one else speaking he thinks he has to fill the gap with utter ****.
I fully agree with you. He has to be the single most annoying commentator in British sport.
The last set today was just sad. I wanted it to be over so I didn't have to see poor Roger trampled anymore :frown:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
The last set today was just sad. I wanted it to be over so I didn't have to see poor Roger trampled anymore :frown:

He had a good two weeks, to be honest I'm just glad to see him still play and after the level he produced on Friday I'm still rooting for him at flushing meadows, sure he'll be 34 but I heard the same thing last year, don't count the guy out. Also congratulations to Djokovic, he played awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatMadClown
He had a good two weeks, to be honest I'm just glad to see him still play and after the level he produced on Friday I'm still rooting for him at flushing meadows, sure he'll be 34 but I heard the same thing last year, don't count the guy out. Also congratulations to Djokovic, he played awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He did, he's generally been excellent. It's still not nice to see him playing badly when it matters.
Original post by snowman77
Nice win from Djokovic. Easiest £95 I ever made. I said at the beginning of the tournament that Djokovic was the clear favourite to win the title. Everyone called me a troll when I said that. Now you see why I was right. :cool:

how much did you put down on him?
Ah man, I'm so happy for Novak after the disappointment at the French. If he had lost this match, especially after his second set collapse (missed 7 set points!), it would have been an incredibly tough recovery. Now onto New York. Another 3 slam year please!

It was a weird match. Federer didn't play as well as he did against Murray obviously, and I think Novak was a big part of that. On the face of it, I think Murray is a better player than Djokovic on grass if they are matched up together, but Federer finds Djokovic tougher for three reasons IMO. First of all, Djokovic is a better server and Federer can't exploit the second serve anywhere near as much to make as big of an impact on return games. How many times did Federer run around Murray's WTA second serve on Friday to crush that forehand winner? Certainly a lot more than he was able to against Djokovic. Second, Djokovic is a more aggressive returner and is capable of neutralising the Federer serve by ridiculously dropping seemingly unreturnable serves on the baseline. I think served pretty well (not as well as against Murray obviously), but we saw the GOAT returner in full display here. Third, Djokovic seems to play more aggressively and force Federer back. His depth, at times, is outrageously good.

As I said earlier on in the thread, the biggest thing with Federer now is his consistency. Not just match to match, but set to set. He can't maintain his level against the brutal consistency of Djokovic's groundstrokes, leading to those unforced error shanks we have become sadly accustomed to seeing. I think a lot of them are 'forced' in that Federer feels he needs to go for more because Djokovic can just pummel BHs to Federer's feet.

One thing I found disappointing in Federer's approach is that he didn't go to the net that much. It seemed to me that he was getting a lot of success going there with Djokovic's pathetic lobs and some pretty bad passing shots, but he was too engaged in those baseline rallies, which was a mistake. By the end of the 4th set, I think he should have changed it up and just rushed to the net every opportunity to at least make Novak pass him. I think he was waiting for choke that didn't come.

And very impressed with Novak's ability to withhold is choke in sets 3 and 4. We saw glimpses of classic Chokovic in that second set, but he battened down the hatches and took it comfortably in the end, unlike last year's final

I don't think there's much anyone on tour can do against Novak now. Aside from Wawrinka GOATing, who is capable of stopping him?
Also, this was sad. Yet hilarious. :laugh:

Original post by Xotol
Ah man, I'm so happy for Novak after the disappointment at the French. If he had lost this match, especially after his second set collapse (missed 7 set points!), it would have been an incredibly tough recovery. Now onto New York. Another 3 slam year please!

It was a weird match. Federer didn't play as well as he did against Murray obviously, and I think Novak was a big part of that. On the face of it, I think Murray is a better player than Djokovic on grass if they are matched up together, but Federer finds Djokovic tougher for three reasons IMO. First of all, Djokovic is a better server and Federer can't exploit the second serve anywhere near as much to make as big of an impact on return games. How many times did Federer run around Murray's WTA second serve on Friday to crush that forehand winner? Certainly a lot more than he was able to against Djokovic. Second, Djokovic is a more aggressive returner and is capable of neutralising the Federer serve by ridiculously dropping seemingly unreturnable serves on the baseline. I think served pretty well (not as well as against Murray obviously), but we saw the GOAT returner in full display here. Third, Djokovic seems to play more aggressively and force Federer back. His depth, at times, is outrageously good.

As I said earlier on in the thread, the biggest thing with Federer now is his consistency. Not just match to match, but set to set. He can't maintain his level against the brutal consistency of Djokovic's groundstrokes, leading to those unforced error shanks we have become sadly accustomed to seeing. I think a lot of them are 'forced' in that Federer feels he needs to go for more because Djokovic can just pummel BHs to Federer's feet.

One thing I found disappointing in Federer's approach is that he didn't go to the net that much. It seemed to me that he was getting a lot of success going there with Djokovic's pathetic lobs and some pretty bad passing shots, but he was too engaged in those baseline rallies, which was a mistake. By the end of the 4th set, I think he should have changed it up and just rushed to the net every opportunity to at least make Novak pass him. I think he was waiting for choke that didn't come.

And very impressed with Novak's ability to withhold is choke in sets 3 and 4. We saw glimpses of classic Chokovic in that second set, but he battened down the hatches and took it comfortably in the end, unlike last year's final

I don't think there's much anyone on tour can do against Novak now. Aside from Wawrinka GOATing, who is capable of stopping him?

Yeah I agree. Federer was never gonna beat Djokovic from the back of the court so getting trapped in loads of baseline rallies cost him dearly. I thought once Federer broke for 4-2 in the 1st he was gonna serve like he did against Murray and steamroll Djokovic but a couple of loose balls and Djokovic cranking up his returns cost him there. Federer should've tried to come to the net a bit more to disrupt Djokovic's rhythm but I guess with Djokovic getting the ball so deep that strategy was taken away from him.
I'm thrilled for Djokovic for him to have another multi slam year and to defend a slam outside the Australian Open for the 1st time. He seems to be on the road to go down as one of the greatest of all time, especially if he wins the French at some point, however even if he never gets RG he's still an all time great IMO. Also agree that only peak Wawrinka right now and probably Federer on a fast hard court can stop him right now
I knew Djoker was going to rape Fed lol
Original post by Xotol

Top analysis there. It was a similar kind of tale in that Federer was hot off his serve early on and won a lot of net points, but Djokovic just dug his heels in and sharpened up as the match went on. How strong he is mentally now was attested to in the first break of serve in the match - how Djoker rebounded from that break was astounding, where most other players (Murray included) would have had the knocking stuffed out of them. Novak just doesn't let Roger get away with anything when he has the lead. It's such an interesting dynamic of their rivalry that (I think) Federer is still the one Nole fears the most and matchup wise is the most dangerous, yet the flipside is Djokovic has the ability to neutralise eventually most of Federer's weapons, as we saw today. While he struggled against Fed's serve early on, eventually he honed in like a searchlight and started hitting the most unbelievable returns. Add that to how damn clutch he was when at the most trying moments, and you can't blame Roger for losing to one of the great phenomenons in men's tennis. Novak is certainly a unique talent.

Who can oppose Djokovic? Stan won't always be there. As we've seen, he's still vulnerable to lapses and just ... being Stan. Murray doesn't have it against Novak, frankly. I'm thinking we could be waiting a while for the next great force to oppose him. Personally, I'm hoping dearly that Rafa wakes up one day, rises from the Phoenix ashes and meets Novak in another epic final one day.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Bad luck to be around in the era of Djokovic (@Fizzel).
Djok's era is over, 28 now, he's a good few years past his peak. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest