The Student Room Group

Most useful language for commercial law?

Hi, I'm hoping to become a commercial lawyer and wondered what language would be beneficial to be fluent in. Obviously any language is a bonus but what languages are widely used/needed nowadays?

Scroll to see replies

German is especially good because it's not as common

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spurs9393
Hi, I'm hoping to become a commercial lawyer and wondered what language would be beneficial to be fluent in. Obviously any language is a bonus but what languages are widely used/needed nowadays?

English.
Reply 3
Well, after English, Chinese is rather beneficial but it does mainly restrict you to China. Spanish on the other hand is widely spoken in both Americas. Hindi as well is pretty useful in the general area of India and the surrounding countries
Maybe French or Spanish.
Kazakh.
Reply 6
Thanks for the suggestions. I'd really like the challenge of learning a language with a new alphabet. What would he the most useful out of:
- Russian
- Chinese
- Japanese
- Arabic

I'm personally quite interested in Russian but what one do you think would be most useful for commercial law?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the suggestions. I'd really like the challenge of learning a language with a new alphabet. What would he the most useful out of:
- Russian
- Chinese
- Japanese
- Arabic

I'm personally quite interested in Russian but what one do you think would be most useful for commercial law?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where do you plan to work?
Probably a western European language - French, German or Spanish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Legalese.
Reply 10
Original post by Juichiro
Where do you plan to work?

I'd like to work for a magic circle firm in London, but presumably all of these firms have international connections and offices around the world

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd like to work for a magic circle firm in London, but presumably all of these firms have international connections and offices around the world

Posted from TSR Mobile

Japan is in recession so I would leave it out of the list. So you have Russia, Chinese and Arabic. All of them are similarly hard to learn. Research on what languages are used in magic circles firms in London. Ideally, you want a language that is in demand but it the easiest out of those 3. Writing and reading Chinese beyond daily life vocab is notoriously hard so make sure you are ready to spend years learning it before you get anywhere near proficiency.
Reply 12
Original post by Juichiro
Japan is in recession so I would leave it out of the list. So you have Russia, Chinese and Arabic. All of them are similarly hard to learn. Research on what languages are used in magic circles firms in London. Ideally, you want a language that is in demand but it the easiest out of those 3. Writing and reading Chinese beyond daily life vocab is notoriously hard so make sure you are ready to spend years learning it before you get anywhere near proficiency.

I think Russian is quite popular due to the oil market although relations between UK/EU & Russia are deteriorating which may affect business? Equally with Arabic there are new markets especially with oil...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think Russian is quite popular due to the oil market although relations between UK/EU & Russia are deteriorating which may affect business? Equally with Arabic there are new markets especially with oil...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think Arabic is a safer option.

French seems to be the second most useful international commercial language. I base this on that a lot of international arbitration seems to take place in France, a lot of material seems to be written about it in France, a lot of barristers and solicitors who do international work seem to speak French, etc.
Reply 15
Is a South American language worth studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
- Russian
- Chinese
- Japanese
- Arabic

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would definitely say that Chinese mandarin would be the most useful. China has the pretty much fastest growing economy and business sector in the world right now and by the time you are working as a lawyer knowing how to speak to clients from this country will prove very valuable because not only will it help you gain business because you can make your clients feel at home and welcome but will also mean that you have a much wider range of people that you are able to work with than most of your competitors will.
Reply 17
Original post by shazzaxyz
I would definitely say that Chinese mandarin would be the most useful. China has the pretty much fastest growing economy and business sector in the world right now and by the time you are working as a lawyer knowing how to speak to clients from this country will prove very valuable because not only will it help you gain business because you can make your clients feel at home and welcome but will also mean that you have a much wider range of people that you are able to work with than most of your competitors will.

Are there any places in and around London where you can learn Chinese? I'm looking for evening classes but some of them are quite expensive...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bloomsbury square has a lot of language schools but I think they are for foreign people learning English, not sure.
Reply 19
None, unless you're willing to live in that place and invest years of learning. Becoming fluent is one thing, becoming business and technical fluent in areas is another kettle of fish.

IMO if you have a few years of a language already, run with it. If not, your time is better invested elsewhere IF its for commercial law or for practical use in a technical area like commercial law.

I know a girl who had started learning French at 11, did GCSEs, A level and has done it at University as a joint honours. She's also worked in France in law so you can get a picture of the time commitment.

As for Chinese, absolutely no way. I study it at as a hobby but if its for commercial law, don't go there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending