The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I'm an international student applying to Oxford to study History and Economics. I've decided to also apply to UCL and LSE for similar courses. Does anyone know what other universities would be good to apply to for a course similar to History and Economics?
Thanks!
Hi, I'm an International student I was thinking of applying to either Cambridge or Oxford for computer science.IGCSE grades - 1 A*, 5 A's and 1 B.AS level- 4 a'sA level - 3 A*'s and 1 AThis are my actual grades not predicted ones.Where do you think I should apply?P.S ... I already did apply to Cambridge last year for Sept 2015 intake and got rejected but I think that was probably because I still was expecting my A levels result and looking at my AS level result no one would think I would score 3 A*'s and an A in A levels AS level result------Chem - 88(a)Physics- 87(a)Maths- 96(a)AICT- 84(a) So should I apply to Cambridge or Oxford this year or not?Do i have any chances of getting in??A level result----Chem- 90(A*)Maths- 97(A*)Physics- 91(A*)AICT- 81(A)
Original post by n.safar4
Will Oxford accept math chemistry and AICT as a level subject to read EP?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you seen this page? You tick both boxes for studying a science and maths, so you're fine!
Original post by aryanrulezz
Hi, I'm an International student I was thinking of applying to either Cambridge or Oxford for computer science.IGCSE grades - 1 A*, 5 A's and 1 B.AS level- 4 a'sA level - 3 A*'s and 1 AThis are my actual grades not predicted ones.Where do you think I should apply?P.S ... I already did apply to Cambridge last year for Sept 2015 intake and got rejected but I think that was probably because I still was expecting my A levels result and looking at my AS level result no one would think I would score 3 A*'s and an A in A levels AS level result------Chem - 88(a)Physics- 87(a)Maths- 96(a)AICT- 84(a) So should I apply to Cambridge or Oxford this year or not?Do i have any chances of getting in??A level result----Chem- 90(A*)Maths- 97(A*)Physics- 91(A*)AICT- 81(A)

So did you get your a level results last august? Admissions tutors might worry that your maths will get rusty in the mean time so it might be worth taking up further maths, but you've definitely got a chance.
Original post by Velvetgh0st
I'm doing Geography, English Lit, Government & Politics and ICT at AS and wanting to drop Geography at A2? Would Oxford accept ICT as one of my A level subject for law?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They would, but as it's a soft subject, it would most likely disadvantage you. You'd be better keeping Geography and dropping ICT.
Original post by Connor D
Hi,

I'm an international student applying to Oxford to study History and Economics. I've decided to also apply to UCL and LSE for similar courses. Does anyone know what other universities would be good to apply to for a course similar to History and Economics?
Thanks!

Manchester do Modern History and Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KombatWombat
So did you get your a level results last august? Admissions tutors might worry that your maths will get rusty in the mean time so it might be worth taking up further maths, but you've definitely got a chance.

I got my result January 2015 ...
But I have done nothing in the past six months so a little worried about that,,
Have a got a chance?
Reply 1087
Hey,
Sadly I couldn't make the open days in July and also can't do the one in September so I was wondering if any of you could tell me what you learned from going to an open day? Any new insights / new thoughts? Did it make you feel more or less inclined to apply?
Thankssss :biggrin:
Original post by pak1994
That is great, although I would just add that how you feel on an open day is not necessarily reflective of how you will feel there, so if anyone ends up with an offer from a college they weren't particularly keen on at open day you will still probably end up loving it! (This is what happened to one of my best friends - she really didn't like our college on open day but now loves it (as the majority of people do)).

Just out of interest, what is your top choice now?

What was your friend's college?
GCSE grades: 8 A*s, 3 As
A-Levels: Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and English Literature (hoping for AAAA although I may get AAAB) and an A in EPQ
Course: English Literature/PPE
College: Trinity, Wadham, Catz
Since it looks like I'm going to apply to Oxford I might as well write here :smile:

Course: PPE
College: possibly Balliol or BNC.

Does anyone know what would be the % at the TSA test of a successful applicant for PPE? Also, which of the sections would be more relevant: Critical Thinking or Problem Solving?
Original post by lucyx
Hey,
Sadly I couldn't make the open days in July and also can't do the one in September so I was wondering if any of you could tell me what you learned from going to an open day? Any new insights / new thoughts? Did it make you feel more or less inclined to apply?
Thankssss :biggrin:

Pity you couldn't make it! The Open Day was absolutely amazing and the people were very friendly (more then I would've expected :smile: ). Have to admit that I was feeling a bit skeptical on applying to Oxford but after visiting I really made up my mind. Are you interested in knowing anything in particular?
Original post by personage
What was your friend's college?

We're at New College
Reply 1093
Original post by adynaton
Pity you couldn't make it! The Open Day was absolutely amazing and the people were very friendly (more then I would've expected :smile: ). Have to admit that I was feeling a bit skeptical on applying to Oxford but after visiting I really made up my mind. Are you interested in knowing anything in particular?

Thanks for replying! Which colleges did you visit and what did you think of them? :biggrin:
Original post by lucyx
Thanks for replying! Which colleges did you visit and what did you think of them? :biggrin:

bUTTING in here, but LMH is lovely. Worth going to look at. Glad I did. Ten mins walk out of centre, but tourist-free zone! Good food, good accommodation, and there are no better gardens in summer....new entrance and quad being built as we speak, soon to be completed. Friendly tutors. near North Oxford's Jericho for cinema, bars and shops. Walk across University Parks for Science and English faculties...
Original post by lucyx

I visited Balliol, BNC, Corpus Christi, Christ Church, Merton, Trinity and Hertford. Out of those, the one's I liked the most for my subject are Balliol and BNC but Corpus Christi and Christ Church were very good as well. It really depends on what kind of college you want: large or small, central or a bit far a way etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since it looks like I'm going to apply to Oxford I might as well write here :smile:

Course: PPE
College: possibly Balliol or BNC.

Does anyone know what would be the % at the TSA test of a successful applicant for PPE? Also, which of the sections would be more relevant: Critical Thinking or Problem Solving?

Candidates applying to Brasenose for PPE and who were invited to interview last year (either with us or at another college) scored as follows (rounding up to 2 sf):

problem solving: minimum 53, median 64, maximum 83
critical thinking: minimum 58, median 72, maximum 83
essay: minimum 54, median 65, maximum 72
overall: minimum 60, median 68, maximum 76

We think these scores are in line with the rest of Oxford. All sections count. If you are reading this, would like to read PPE, and think you can post a competitive test score ... the closing date for applications is October 15th!
I visited Balliol, BNC, Corpus Christi, Christ Church, Merton, Trinity and Hertford. Out of those, the one's I liked the most for my subject are Balliol and BNC but Corpus Christi and Christ Church were very good as well. It really depends on what kind of college you want: large or small, central or a bit far a way etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the endorsement! What did you like about Brasenose and Balliol (apart from the latter's designer goody bag of course)?
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Thanks for the endorsement! What did you like about Brasenose and Balliol (apart from the latter's designer goody bag of course)?

As repeatedly said at the Open Day by the tutors, the differences between colleges were far less then the similarities so I based my choice solely on personal preferences. Both colleges present a balance between green areas, history and central setting: all the characteristics that I am looking for (yes, Balliol's bag was very nice, but the Brasenose prospectus was by far the best among all the colleges I visited).
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Candidates applying to Brasenose for PPE and who were invited to interview last year (either with us or at another college) scored as follows (rounding up to 2 sf):

problem solving: minimum 53, median 64, maximum 83
critical thinking: minimum 58, median 72, maximum 83
essay: minimum 54, median 65, maximum 72
overall: minimum 60, median 68, maximum 76

We think these scores are in line with the rest of Oxford. All sections count. If you are reading this, would like to read PPE, and think you can post a competitive test score ... the closing date for applications is October 15th!

Thank you very much for this data. I'm an EU student from Italy and was wondering, what sort of predicted grade would be ideal (other then the minimum required of 95 at our Esame di Stato) for PPE at Brasenose? Is there anywhere I could gather some information on italian PPEists at Oxford?

Latest

Trending

Trending