The Student Room Group

Further maths module confusion

Hey

I'm just finishing year 12 and would love some advise on which maths modules to pick for next year and how choosing modules for further maths works.
My teacher seems to think that you only need 1 further pure module for AS level, then 1 more for A2. This does not correlate with various things I've read on the internet which say that 2 extra further pure modules are needed for the A2.
Also, does anyone have any preferences as to which modules to choose? I've done C1, C2, S1, FP1, D1, M1 & M2 this year.

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by castlechef
Hey
I'm just finishing year 12 and would love some advise on which maths modules to pick for next year and how choosing modules for further maths works.
My teacher seems to think that you only need 1 further pure modules for AS level, then 1 more for A2. This does not correlate with various things I've read on the internet which say that 2 extra further pure modules are needed for the A2.
Also, does anyone have any preferences as to which modules to choose? I've done C1, C2, S1, FP1, D1, M1 & M2 this year.

Thanks

For AS Further Maths, you need FP1 + 2 Applied.
For A2 Further Maths, you need (FP2 or FP3) + any two of the remaining applied modules (assuming you have the sufficient prerequisite modules) or FP3. So your teacher is correct. A lot of people do both FP2 and FP3, but you don't need to. I did FP2 + 2 applied modules.

I'd probably do C3, C4 (core), FP2, FP3 and S2.
Reply 2
Original post by brittanna
For AS Further Maths, you need FP1 + 2 Applied.
For A2 Further Maths, you need (FP2 or FP3) + any two of the remaining applied modules (assuming you have the sufficient prerequisite modules) or FP3. So your teacher is correct. A lot of people do both FP2 and FP3, but you don't need to. I did FP2 + 2 applied modules.

I'd probably do C3, C4 (core), FP2, FP3 and S2.

Thanks, that's cleared things up.

Since I'm on AQA, can I use FP4 as my further pure module for A2 or does it specifically have to be either FP2/FP3?
Also is there any advantage to doing another FP module over doing an applied module? Since applied modules are often easier, surely I would be putting myself at a disadvantage to do 2 FP modules?
Thanks, that's cleared things up.

Since I'm on AQA, can I use FP4 as my further pure module for A2 or does it specifically have to be either FP2/FP3?
Also is there any advantage to doing another FP module over doing an applied module? Since applied modules are often easier, surely I would be putting myself at a disadvantage to do 2 FP modules?

Oh, sorry. I naively assumed you were on edexcel. I'm not 100% certain then, but I'd assume it would be the same for AQA, in that you have to do one of the FP modules.

Personally, I found the pure modules easier than the applied. My lowest pure mark was the same as my lowest applied mark, and I wish my teacher let us do FP3/ I had the initiative to self teach FP3. I also found the pure modules much more interesting.
Reply 4
Original post by brittanna
Oh, sorry. I naively assumed you were on edexcel. I'm not 100% certain then, but I'd assume it would be the same for AQA, in that you have to do one of the FP modules.

Personally, I found the pure modules easier than the applied. My lowest pure mark was the same as my lowest applied mark, and I wish my teacher let us do FP3/ I had the initiative to self teach FP3. I also found the pure modules much more interesting.

I have a feeling that FP4 is treated more like an applied module because it focuses almost exclusively on matrices and vectors, whereas the other pure modules are more varied in their content.
How did you find FP2? I've heard that it is terrible and should be avoided...
I think my teacher's plan is it do FP3, M2 (athough only for the other 2 in my class as I have already taken it) and M3 next year. I was thinking of doing D2 as well, just as a backup in case I have a really horrible exam in any of the others. But now I'm also considering taking FP4 because the uni courses I'm looking at are quite heavily based around matrices.
I have a feeling that FP4 is treated more like an applied module because it focuses almost exclusively on matrices and vectors, whereas the other pure modules are more varied in their content.
How did you find FP2? I've heard that it is terrible and should be avoided...
I think my teacher's plan is it do FP3, M2 (athough only for the other 2 in my class as I have already taken it) and M3 next year. I was thinking of doing D2 as well, just as a backup in case I have a really horrible exam in any of the others. But now I'm also considering taking FP4 because the uni courses I'm looking at are quite heavily based around matrices.

I did edexcel, and so FP2 on that is very different to FP2 on AQA, so unfortunately what I thought of FP2 won't be particularly relevant to you.

For what it's worth, D2 was my lowest module. I achieved 100 UMS in all my pure modules (except C3 which I got 97 in due to a silly mistake) and then 88 in D2. I'd say the stats modules are probably the easiest to do well in.

The linear algebra modules at uni have a lot of matrices in them. I hadn't done much on matrices or vectors before coming to uni. I had done C4 vectors, and FP1 matrices (so basic operations with 2x2 matrices). So I didn't know what a cross product was, I didn't know how to find the inverse of a 3x3 matrix, and didn't know what eigenvalues/eigenvectors were etc.

If you could do all three, then that would probably be best. However, if you can only do two out of FP2/3/4, I would probably do FP2 and FP3. Some of the more relevant parts of FP4 I think were covered in my first year linear algebra module. My lecturer also gave a revision lecture for those who hadn't covered eigen-stuffs before.

Quick Reply

Latest