The Student Room Group

How can Democracy in Britain be Improved

Hey Guys
Just needed some help, I will very much appreciate it :smile:
So, I've signed up for this project, I'm in year 12
And this project requires me to do university style work, and your essays get marked and awarded a 1st, 2.1 or 2.2 or 3rd or fail

And thing is I'm from a A level Science Background and don't really know much about government and politics
I was given a bit of guidance in my handbook, but I think I'd need someone (if willing) to help me out

So
Here's what it says in the handbook

Firstly it says in the introduction which should be 400 words
-why is this essay question important to answer
-the first problem I have identified with British democracy is..
-another problem or criticism of British democracy is..
-a possible Solution to these problems to improve British democracy would be...

Main Body (400 words)
- one important problem or criticism of British democracy would be..

- the reason this is a problem for democracy in the UK is..
-Some evidence that this is a problem for democracy in the UK is..

And problem 2 also but in this I am supposed to include a counter argument

And then explain which of the two criticisms is more important to solve
How would you introduce the solutions

Any help will be appreciated :smile: thank you for reading all of that
Watch this video, it's about our voting system and why it is such a failure:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r9rGX91rq5I

You can go into a lot of detail with this aspect of our democracy and there are a lot of facts and figures to back it up.
You should only look at the latest election to see what could and should be changed. The UK needs a voting reform that would decrease Parliament error rate and increase voter happiness and satisfaction. This is most easily done by shifting away from first-past-the-post to either Mixed-Member Proportional Representation or Single Transferable Vote. Take a look into that and it should be rather easy to write your essay.

If in doubt, turn to CGP Grey's Youtube channel, which should explain everything in considerably more detail then myself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EverybodyHz
Watch this video, it's about our voting system and why it is such a failure:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r9rGX91rq5I

You can go into a lot of detail with this aspect of our democracy and there are a lot of facts and figures to back it up.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you :smile:
By any chance do you know of any academic resources that I can use for my essay,

Posted from TSR Mobile
When if ever did the UK ever have a major voting reform? :confused:
i think it would be good to bring up the argument of the British constitutions and how we do not have a fully written codified and entrenched constitutions in comparison to USA and could be the reason why many British citizen lack political apathy and why there is a low turnout at elections or even why many of don't know our rights which can be easily infringed by government because we don't actually have a bill of rights like USA in written form . i dunno if you know what im talking about since you come from a science background but i think it something you can research on and i'd recommend seeing a history teacher or i they do politics at your sixth form asking them.i don't want to give u a whole essay on it but if u need any further help i don't mind helping. :colondollar:

i just finished 2 year a level in politics and i'm studying politics and international relations at uni:u:
Reply 7
Two of my favourite 'theories' (I'll keep this v brief and only include stuff that's strictly relevant) are:

- Downs (1957) who claimed (based on rational choice theory) that a huge part of what politicians/political parties did was seeking and securing office and votes.
- Storm (1990) added to this that they only seek office office as long as its advantageous.

Both are v. well respected political scientists with theories that have been cited a huge number of times. These ideas are relevant to this scenario because the UK is a country in which the will of the parliament is supreme and we have no codified constitution or supreme court. Therefore, political parties are the actors who 'safeguard' democracy and guarantee a democratic mandate; but this may interfere with their goal of seeking votes/office which - if they are rational actors - will be their priority.

Quick Reply