The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilfred Little
:biggrin:

Assuming you got my point. You're English if you're a Londoner.

Of course :wink:

Everyone wants to be a bit different though
Original post by Zürich
Of course :wink:

Everyone wants to be a bit different though

:biggrin:

I get what you're saying but it's the other way round for me.
Original post by Depleted
It's Tayyabs u fool

It has poverty reviews as well. Dishoom's is supposed to be nice, if you're near one (even though it's more breakfast based). Amaya's has good reviews.

Go in the evening if you don't want the breakfast menu.

Thanks to whoever - I'll go to Flat Iron tomorrow.
Tayyabs in Whitechapel? overrated as **** but still better than most of the scum curryhouses up the road

Always quite surreal to be in Tower Hamlets anyway, like stepping from the City straight into Bangladesh
Original post by Zürich
Tayyabs in Whitechapel? overrated as **** but still better than most of the scum curryhouses up the road

Always quite surreal to be in Tower Hamlets anyway, like stepping from the City straight into Bangladesh

Trust me man.
It's overrated in that it's trendy as **** (or it was a few years back anyway), but the food is good there, ngl.
Yeah it hit the big time with some restaurant review in a broadsheet, but I went there first in 08 I think. My friend's lived in Redbridge his whole life and he swears by it. Brick Lane is a crap tourist trap, towards Aldgate/Whitechapel your best bets are Tayyabs unless it's packed, in which case walk to Lahore Kebab House on Commercial Road.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Yeah it hit the big time with some restaurant review in a broadsheet, but I went there first in 08 I think. My friend's lived in Redbridge his whole life and he swears by it. Brick Lane is a crap tourist trap, towards Aldgate/Whitechapel your best bets are Tayyabs unless it's packed, in which case walk to Lahore Kebab House on Commercial Road.

Allow going that far east

Lets be real anyway, the kebab shops on Edgware Road/Paddington is the GOAT ethnic foot area of London. Used to play poker in the Victoria and always grab a lamb doner on the way home. Unreal
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Allow going that far east

Lets be real anyway, the kebab shops on Edgware Road/Paddington is the GOAT ethnic foot area of London. Used to play poker in the Victoria and always grab a lamb doner on the way home. Unreal

Commercial Road is probs pretty long because LHK is more west than Tayyabs.

Lol if you're eating doner then don't expect much quality variation (except for the true dirt places). If you want proper meat, cooked Arab style, Bayswater/Westbourne Grove is nicer than Edgware Road.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Tayyabs is better than both of them (as long as you eat grilled, I've rarely had a curry there) according to general consensus and my own tasting, for Dishoom.

Hehe I've never heard of either (other than Tayyab's and only because you mentioned it), just saw them on trip advisor
Either way AR just go to bodeans.

Also did 300 calf raises tonight. Did about 100 before hand so around 400 for the day, did some light weighted squats(20kg) and did over 250 curls/hammercurls(didn't count the till failure set).

Started to get into that phase where I'm seeing good results and I'm incorporating gym/exercise as part of my routine. It's so darn easy to buy a set of cheap dumbells and lift. Same way it's so easy to just go out and start running in the open air. You can always go hard on a set and do yourself proud but if you're eating junk majority of the time when you're trying to lose weight or don't lift for the next week then you've wasted your ****ing time.

I can see where Shia Labeouf is coming from.
(edited 8 years ago)
Or go to red true BBQ opening in shoreditch in a few days
(edited 8 years ago)
Also while we're at it London is the best city in the UK by a country mile, only Edinburgh and Manchester come close.

Rest is a dump or just too boring to live in, unless you are there for University.
Breaking news: capital city is best city in country. Cue shock horror.
Breaking news: capital city is best city in country. Cue shock horror.

Well it's not the case in a lot of countries
Original post by difeo
Well it's not the case in a lot of countries

It's true in most, unless you're a hipster. Few examples come to mind (Turkey and Australia), but in general London, Paris, Brussels etc. fit the mould. Post was more at an obvious statement Jam made though, he's trying to bait people as well but it's awful in all honesty lol.
It's true in most, unless you're a hipster. Few examples come to mind (Turkey and Australia), but in general London, Paris, Brussels etc. fit the mould. Post was more at an obvious statement Jam made though, he's trying to bait people as well but it's awful in all honesty lol.

Also USA, South Africa, Spain, Brazil, Germany maybe (Munich better than Berlin? Zurich pls) - quite a few. But yeah was probably bait lel.
Original post by difeo
Also USA, South Africa, Spain, Brazil, Germany maybe (Munich better than Berlin? Zurich pls) - quite a few. But yeah was probably bait lel.

Pakistan, India
Original post by jam277
Also while we're at it London is the best city in the UK by a country mile, only Edinburgh and Manchester come close.

Rest is a dump or just too boring to live in, unless you are there for University.

I really cant imagine living in any other UK city. The sense that something was going on in LDN that I was missing would drive me up the wall.

London has real character and depth though, amazing city.
Original post by difeo

Germany is different because they've organised things so that no city dominates like London in the UK. Berlin has the culture/nightlife/politics, Hamburg has the media, Dortmund/Essen the industry, Frankfurt the banks, Bremen brewing, Munich a bit of everything, and SW Germany and Stuttgart clean up from tourists. Only in Eastern Germany do you get real ****holes full of nothingness(not to mention that East Germans are ****ed up in the head, that Stasi education policy messed them up bad imo)

I prefer Berlin to Munich now because Im 23. Berlin is basically just like one big Hackney/Dalston and just the definitive cool city with beautiful girls and nightclubs open until 9am every night of the week. Munich is beautiful, charming and rich but also quite boring. I was there for nearly a year and by the time youve checked out the beerhalls you just have loads of posh shops and spotless streets. But you can be in the alps in 2 hours and the health benefits etc are unreal. If youve got kids though living like 1 hours drive from Munich is GOAT.

And people in Munich are just rich whereas Berliners are pretty poor tbh.
But that's part of the charm of Berlin, rich people arent interesting.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest