The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stefano93
Love Juventus but how can they be offering 28.8M for Ozil? That's a pisstake

Because it's absolute bs perhaps?
Original post by Stefano93
Man like Ramsey don't wanna be defending fam, half of the time he's in Girouds position.

Nah he does his bit, at least he did at rw, i think his defensive work goes under the radar a lot of the time
Original post by Zürich
You think Chelsea's title bid wont be hurt playing Loftus Cheek? No moreso than Arsenal playing Arteta or just Wilshere as the deeper CM.

Youve also been lucky, some injuries cant be prevented and it just happens that none of your players have been clattered by some hatchet man recently. It can happen and the only way for your injury record to go is down atm, reversion to the mean is inevitable. Hazard or JT get snapped and you lot are absolutely done

Yeah it would be hurt somewhat. I guess if we were to get Witsel and sell Mikel(as an example) then we can afford to use Loftus Cheek over the season.

I agree there is luck involved but it's been like this for years, very rarely do our best players get injured for long periods over a month. So I doubt this is the season it will happen.
Original post by e aí rapaz
I'm kinda disappointed we didn't get schneiderlin, except I'm sure it's cos Wengs is going for Carvalho instead. :K:

Wengers more like

Karim over a midfielder
If Coquelin is still first choice by August/Sept Arsenal won't do any better than last season

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arsene saying he's happy with the squad and we have the "strength" to win the title with this team, why am I not suprised. Could easily just be a cover-up until the man goes beserk and unveils Vidal and Benzema before our Community Shield tie with Chelsea :colonhash:.
I think that's an absolute garbage opinion with no real credible reason to think that. Our problems last season were pre Christmas when our defense was abysmally lacking in depth. Since then we've added cech and Gabriel for depth at CB.
If we don't sign a striker or winger we may have issues but other than that I think we have the perfect mix of improvement in the squad whilst not losing squad cohesion.
Original post by leinad2012
I think that's an absolute garbage opinion with no real credible reason to think that. Our problems last season were pre Christmas when our defense was abysmally lacking in depth. Since then we've added cech and Gabriel for depth at CB.
If we don't sign a striker or winger we may have issues but other than that I think we have the perfect mix of improvement in the squad whilst not losing squad cohesion.

Nowadays you're calling everything garbage or some one stupid at least

Do take in mind that a CB was bought whilst it was too late (i.e most of our defensive mishaps happened pre January, where we lost the most points, so by the time we bought Paulista it didn't really have any effect due to Merte/Koscielny returning to fitness).
https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/620881602013343744

Lmao which is why you'll never win the league.
Original post by AR_95
Nowadays you're calling everything garbage or some one stupid at least

Do take in mind that a CB was bought whilst it was too late (i.e most of our defensive mishaps happened pre January, where we lost the most points, so by the time we bought Paulista it didn't really have any effect due to Merte/Koscielny returning to fitness).

Sorry but it just seems as though people think the transfer window ends tomorrow or something when it's only been open for 2 weeks. Maybe I'm underestimating the shortcomings at cdm, but when we have 5 excellent players who primarily play down the middle and are playing for 3 positions, as well as ox being capable of playing cdm without even considering flam or arteta is it really surprising that Wenger probably isn't in for a cdm? Only way I see it happening is if Santi is sold tbh.

With regards to defensive issues, I thought we all felt it was due to us not having back up. That problem has now been fixed with Gabriel being signed in Jan (well hopefully he should be good enough).

For me us signing a cdm AND st would make us favourites, but signing a st would still put us right at the top with squad depth AND no loss of cohesion.
Arsene being misquoted again. I would be absolutely amazed if we don't sign another offensive player, man's just playing it cool to knock the journos off the scent
Don't see the need for another attacking player unless someone exceptional become available. We're pretty well equipped up front and in the wings.

Another DM is absolutely essential in my eyes. I'd have no complaints if Cech and another DM was our only business
Original post by sevchenko
Don't see the need for another attacking player unless someone exceptional become available. We're pretty well equipped up front and in the wings.

Another DM is absolutely essential in my eyes. I'd have no complaints if Cech and another DM was our only business

I'd disagree, on the wing we have 3 out and out wingers really; Sanchez Walcott and Ox, 2 of whom were injured for large chunks of last season and the other has played god knows how many games this last year. Up front we have Giroud and Welbeck, neither of which are good enough. Then there is the like of Campbell and Gnabry who are just about as useful as Arteta and Flam are at CDM.

A front three of Sanchez-Benzema-Walcott would be just :u: and would still leave us with a back up of Ox-Giroud-Welbeck if all 3 got injured (Welbeck the obvious weak link but he has his good points I guess)
Original post by leinad2012
Sorry but it just seems as though people think the transfer window ends tomorrow or something when it's only been open for 2 weeks. Maybe I'm underestimating the shortcomings at cdm, but when we have 5 excellent players who primarily play down the middle and are playing for 3 positions, as well as ox being capable of playing cdm without even considering flam or arteta is it really surprising that Wenger probably isn't in for a cdm? Only way I see it happening is if Santi is sold tbh.

With regards to defensive issues, I thought we all felt it was due to us not having back up. That problem has now been fixed with Gabriel being signed in Jan (well hopefully he should be good enough).

For me us signing a cdm AND st would make us favourites, but signing a st would still put us right at the top with squad depth AND no loss of cohesion.

Don't mean to come across in a bad way but do you not think that you're more than capable in an attacking sense as it stands? Of course if injuries should come then there could be problems, but Sanchez is exceptional, Giroud will score goals, Walcott as well and your midfielders are more than capable of chipping in. Schneiderlin would have been a brilliant signing for you, you've sorted out the keeper problem now but if you could get a good holding midfielder then you would have a very good squad.

Of course you watch Arsenal more than I do but a holding midfielder should be priority IMO.
With Chelsea, city and united spending like they are, we can only expect a top 4 finish. We need to make quality signings if we want a fair chance at the title. We have made quality signings over the past few years but signings which were only sufficient to compete for the title, not enough to actually have a good chance of taking it home.
Lol City are screwed. They need to do a United style revamp quite soon, more likely that they'll finish 5th than win the title.
Original post by jam277
Lol City are screwed. They need to do a United style revamp quite soon, more likely that they'll finish 5th than win the title.

I expect them to make a good signing for every crap signing they make.
They have the money to do that.
Original post by Dan1607
With Chelsea, city and united spending like they are, we can only expect a top 4 finish. We need to make quality signings if we want a fair chance at the title. We have made quality signings over the past few years but signings which were only sufficient to compete for the title, not enough to actually have a good chance of taking it home.

Lolwut? Chelsea have bought a no. 2 keeper and loaned a flop striker (who may turn good but may not). City have just spent £45mil in a player who's worth half that and have an aging squad, I agree with jam I'd be stunned if they compete
Original post by ANippyWinger
Don't mean to come across in a bad way but do you not think that you're more than capable in an attacking sense as it stands? Of course if injuries should come then there could be problems, but Sanchez is exceptional, Giroud will score goals, Walcott as well and your midfielders are more than capable of chipping in. Schneiderlin would have been a brilliant signing for you, you've sorted out the keeper problem now but if you could get a good holding midfielder then you would have a very good squad.

Of course you watch Arsenal more than I do but a holding midfielder should be priority IMO.

The way I see it (and I'm probably in a minority) I split the team into the central 3 (cdm, dlp/b2b, cam) and the front 3 (rw, lw, st).
For the central 3 we have 5 top players, 1 of which is world class (Ozil) and then 1 who can play central if needed (ox), then flam and Arteta who are **** but bring experience. Against the bottom half a Wilshere-Ramsey-Ozil or Coq-Santi-Ozil will win every game, and against the 5-10 teams we could play Coq-Wilshere-Ozil and be more defensive. Sneiderlin would have been wonderful to play alongside Coq against the top 4 but we already have players there so can see why he wasn't signed. What I'm trying to say is he didn't improve the squad by £25mil.

Up top we have only 4 top players, 1 of which is class (Sanchez), and 4 players who can play poorly out of position on wing if needed, then Welbeck, Campbell, Gnabry who are all pretty poor. Because of that I think a ST or winger would be much more important for us especially as 2 injuries and we're down to playing welbeck. Benzema, Reus etc. Would add £40mil in quality up top imo.

Basically, if it's a choice between st/winger and cdm (which I personally would think it is) then I'd be choosing the st/winger all day long

Latest