The Student Room Group

Birmingham University bans students from throwing caps in the air at graduation

Staff at the University of Birmingham have killed-off a beloved graduation day tradition because of ‘health and safety’ fears the throwing of caps into the air.

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/birmingham-university-bans-students-from-throwing-caps-in-the-air-at-graduation-ceremony-10386053.html

:facepalm:
And just last year, an entire class from Ridgewood High School in Chicago were denied their diplomas until they publicly apologised for defying a cap-throwing ban

Awkward...
Health and safety gone mad...
Of course, they are totally right what happens if you throw your hat and it ends up piercing the intestines of someone else. lel
Good on the university for taking a stand, I for one believe there should be nationwide ban on hat throwing. How many more thousands of people have to be killed and or maimed in hat throwing related incidents before the government takes action against this scourge?
Does the university not have better things to do? -_-
They should let them throw their hats but have a room set aside as a panic room for anybody triggered by it all where they can go and cuddle stuffed dogs etc.
I'm really sad for the graduates - it's one of the funnest parts of graduation and it's the one photo you must take!

As Brum Alumna I'm pretty disappointed - health & safety gone bonkers. Students will still do it anyway.

Prevention is better than cure :nod:
Original post by She-Ra
Students will still do it anyway.

:biggrin:

and rightly so
Original post by puddingbot
And just last year, an entire class from Ridgewood High School in Chicago were denied their diplomas until they publicly apologised for defying a cap-throwing ban

Awkward...

Although I'm aware that it has happened in the "land of the free" (my arse) I wonder if any British university (or any other school) could actually legally withhold students' diplomas for the mentioned reason?
Original post by simon_g
Although I'm aware that it has happened in the "land of the free" (my arse) I wonder if any British university (or any other school) could actually legally withhold students' diplomas for the mentioned reason?

I don;t think they could as the certificates are not issued by the university

But will be interesting to see what happens
Trust me, we still threw our caps. I graduated yesterday and the presiding officer actually told us to do it in the hall.....So its not banned!
Reply 13
One detached retina in a girl in 2013 and another serious eye injury in 2014 is enough to cause concern, as a celebration suddenly turns into an upset day for everyone and lasting injuries for others. These are just two reported serious incidents in the West Midlands, but dozens of graduates each year complain about injuries caused by this activity. I avoid the use of the word 'tradition' as we never threw hats in this country until the American Navy started it in the 20s, way after graduation ceremonies in the UK were established. This is an activity adopted from American naval personnel, not a tradition from British history.
Banned at Falmouth University as well.
Are these people kidding me? :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest