The Student Room Group

Durham or Royal Holloway

Hey,

I was accepted to both Durham and Royal Holloway for Management, Durham being my firm choice and Royal Holloway my insurance. I did not meet the conditions for Durham, missed them by a bit and am considered as a "near miss applicant".

My question is, if I should wait to hear from Durham (in mid August) about whether they can still offer me a place (chances seem very slim as they already tell near miss applicants that they might be redirected to a different course) or if I should firmly accept Royal Holloway and get mentally settled there.

Thank you in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medahoe
Hey,

I was accepted to both Durham and Royal Holloway for Management, Durham being my firm choice and Royal Holloway my insurance. I did not meet the conditions for Durham, missed them by a bit and am considered as a "near miss applicant".

My question is, if I should wait to hear from Durham (in mid August) about whether they can still offer me a place (chances seem very slim as they already tell near miss applicants that they might be redirected to a different course) or if I should firmly accept Royal Holloway and get mentally settled there.

Thank you in advance!

Over the past two years, Durham have messed around a lot of "near miss applicants", for example leaving them with a long wait to find out if they have a place, only to reject them, or just not getting back to them at all. There are threads about this on TSR, I'm not sure how easy they would be to find, but it would be worth having a search.

At another uni, I might say it would be worth holding on and waiting, but Durham have been pretty crap in previous years, so I would say it's only worth doing if your heart is absolutely set on Durham, and you don't mind missing out on going to uni at all this year (and potentially dealing with being messed around quite a bit by Durham).
If you're set on Durham then you should wait, as there is still a chance. However if you aren't too bothered then maybe it'd be good to accept RH.
Royal Holloway
I second what slowloris says about the way Durham has messed around the clearing students in the past two years, which was pretty shameful.
Original post by will_jg
If you're set on Durham then you should wait, as there is still a chance. However if you aren't too bothered then maybe it'd be good to accept RH.

I agree with this . If there is a chance then hang in there if you are really keen on going to Durham. Good luck:smile:
Reply 6
If Management is taught at the Stockon Queen's campus, I'd say give it a miss and go for Royal Holloway. Durham, whilst on paper a far better brand name, it isn't yet established in this field, and you sure won't get the full university experience in lowly Stockton.
If you're completely set on Durham, wait. Otherwise Royal Holloway is a brilliant university to go to as an alternative :smile:
Reply 8
Have Durham introduced better shuttle buses to get students to and from Stockton yet?
Reply 9
Original post by thecatwithnohat
If you're completely set on Durham, wait. Otherwise Royal Holloway is a brilliant university to go to as an alternative :smile:

RH is a good university, but not a brilliant one. I have been there a few times over the years, girls in particular seem to like it. It seems a classy place to be, middle class.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Novelist
RH is a good university, but not a brilliant one. I have been there a few times over the years, girls in particular seem to like it. It seems a classy place to be, middle class.

It isn't one of the elite Russel Group universities but it's doing well regardless.
It isn't one of the elite Russel Group universities but it's doing well regardless.

I'd chose RH over a few in the Russell Group, such as Liverpool and Queen Mary. But not over the likes of Bristol or York.
I'd chose RH over a few in the Russell Group, such as Liverpool and Queen Mary. But not over the likes of Bristol or York.

To be fair, not all Russel Group unis deserve to be in the RG e.g. the one's you've listed are a few.

Clearly there's a difference between the prestigious universities in the Russel group and the mediocre non-RG ones. However, with the supporting posts earlier made by other users, Durham seem to be a bit iffy about OP's situation, and I don't think it would be a bad idea if they settled for RH. However, if they had their heart set on Durham, then they could just hang on and see what Durham says in August...
To be fair, not all Russel Group unis deserve to be in the RG e.g. the one's you've listed are a few.

Clearly there's a difference between the prestigious universities in the Russel group and the mediocre non-RG ones. However, with the supporting posts earlier made by other users, Durham seem to be a bit iffy about OP's situation, and I don't think it would be a bad idea if they settled for RH. However, if they had their heart set on Durham, then they could just hang on and see what Durham says in August...

True, but Stockton doesn't seem very appealing to me. I wonder what the OP thinks of the area. It would not be an easy commute from Durham, if that were an option.
True, but Stockton doesn't seem very appealing to me. I wonder what the OP thinks of the area. It would not be an easy commute from Durham, if that were an option.

Stockton? I thought Royal Holloway was in like Surrey/Egham :ninja:

oops if not

oops if not

The Stockton Campus of Durham University.

oops if not

RH is in Egham, and Management is taught by Durham at Stockton-on-Tees last I heard.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
The Stockton Campus of Durham University.
Oh :colondollar: didn't know the name of the area.

@Novelist Haha, don't worry my confusion has been cleared up
Oh :colondollar: didn't know the name of the area.

@Novelist Haha, don't worry my confusion has been cleared up

No particular reason why you should unless you applied to Durham. Not everyone is aware of the Stockton campus and I think over the years a few people have had an unpleasant surprise.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No particular reason why you should unless you applied to Durham. Not everyone is aware of the Stockton campus and I think over the years a few people have had an unpleasant surprise.

Is it really dire there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending