The Student Room Group

Sikh and Hindu Interfaith relationships

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by e^x
Is it well known whether Punjabi Hindu girls find Gujarati Hindu boys irresistible?

You will have to ask them about that about that. lol I don't really come across many Punjabi Hindu girls. If there are any Punjabi Hindu girls on here please let us know your thoughts on Gujarati Hindu boys?

But I am probably sure they do since we are naturally attracted to people who share the same traits as us. ie religion/culture ect.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm with a sikh guy and don't know how my parents would react. I don't think they would care tbh, my mom has told me she would prefer me with an indian guy but never actually said whether it meant strictly Hindu.
I think some of my older relatives might have something to say though
Reply 22
Original post by gt46d
As a Punjabi Sikh male living in London, I have always wondered why we dont see more of these relationships happening. When there are large population of both Sikhs and Hindus in London.

I mean we have so much in common in terms of a rich cultural backgrounds ect that we should be proud of.
But it seems Sikhs and Hindus or shall we say Punjabi Sikhs and Gujarati Hindus will more likely date a person of another race altogether such as white person then with each other.This is ridiculous.

This is not right. we should be sticking together not marrying white or non Sikh or non Hindu people.
But its a shame that we are seeing many of our people marrying other races and religions.

I can imagine the hate and abuse a white English person would get if he asked "why are so many of us dating outside our race, we should be sticking together" double standards double standards everywhere. Not going to answer the question as its stupid I just want to point out the hypocrisy and ignorance of people.
Reply 23
Original post by Berchtold
It is not racist to want a relationship within your race. It is racist to as you have done condemn others who want a relationship outside their race and accuse them of non sticking together.

My point stands, you're a racist and a waste of oxygen.

Bertchtold,
well then you are accusing billions of people around the world of being racists as most parents be they Indian/white ect encourage their kids to marry someone of the same race. did your parents not marry into the same race? and will you let your kids marry someone of another race? I guess that makes you a racist if you dont

I guess all white people encourage their kids to marry any race and if they came home with a black person their parents would accept it without any hesitation.

white people must be great that way. Maybe we all should aspire to follow the white people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
I'm with a sikh guy and don't know how my parents would react. I don't think they would care tbh, my mom has told me she would prefer me with an indian guy but never actually said whether it meant strictly Hindu.
I think some of my older relatives might have something to say though

Just say you said ' Indian' . So I got married to a Indian Sikh boy.

Im sure they wont mind . Sikhs and Hindus are very similar. In terms of our culture and religion and we are also very hardworking community. We even celebrate the same festivals and have similar traditions.
Depends on the families I guess. My family are Punjabi Sikh but are quite liberal in the sense they really don't mind whom I date (Barring Muslims), but it's obvious that others place more of an emphasis on tradition and maintaining single faith relationships.

Also I'd appreciate you don't refer to anyone as a 'whitey' thank you. They're at liberty to post where they like.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gt46d
I do not know why there are so many 'Whitey's' like yourself replying to this thread. This is about Sikhs and Hindus.I guess some people just like to meddle in others peoples business!!

Calling somebody a "whitey" is rude. You're very concerned about marriage, but you seem to forget the fundamentals of Sikhism: treating everybody equally and not allowing yourself to become fickle or angry.
Original post by MrDystopia
Depends on the families I guess. My family are Punjabi Sikh but are quite liberal in the sense they really don't mind whom I date (Barring Muslims), but it's obvious that others place more of an emphasis on tradition and maintaining single faith relationships.

Also I'd appreciate you don't refer to anyone as a 'whitey' thank you. They're at liberty to post where they like.

Well you family are clearly religious bigots who think they are superior to 1.6 billion muslims. Very liberal indeed. Disgusting... I am white and I always knew Indians had a racist cast system.that many of them still follow today.
Original post by TheSexyApple
Well you family are clearly religious bigots who think they are superior to 1.6 billion muslims. Very liberal indeed. Disgusting... I am white and I always knew Indians had a racist cast system.that many of them still follow today.

I wouldn't say 'religious bigots'. It's more that that's how they were raised (As for example, they lived in India where such a view is often normal in traditional families, this is for my grandparents btw). However by that very definition my parents are most definitely liberal in that they've no interest in dictating whom I can/can't date, or they don't impose such things as 'Only Sikhs' etc

I find it amusing however that you've decided to tar all Indians with the same brush. Does that make you a bigot?
Original post by gt46d
I do not know why there are so many 'Whitey's' like yourself replying to this thread. This is about Sikhs and Hindus.I guess some people just like to meddle in others peoples business!!

Anyway back to the the original topic. Instead of all the irrelevant replies that have nothing to do with the topic.

This is a nice Sikh and Hindu interfaith wedding I saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdJtJjQqlW4

Why shouldn't I comment? This is a public forum with users of a huge range of ethnicities, not to mention a range of ages, genders, education, disability, sexuality, etc. OP made a racist statement that Sikhs and Hindus should "stick to their own kind." We've all heard that before regarding apartheid. Anyone of any background is free to call out and stand up to racism. It has no place in modern society, let alone on a forum of young people. We're supposed to be more educated and more tolerant than previous generations. Shame you're clearly not.
Reply 30
Original post by MrDystopia

Whats wrong with calling someone whitey?.
I wouldn't mind if someone called me brownie because I am brown.

But if that is the protocol on this forum then I will refrain from using this term. I even call white people 'pink skins with my white friends and no one has an issue with it. They know I am not using it in a racist way. same as when they sometimes call me brownie.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Musie Suzie
Why shouldn't I comment? This is a public forum with users of a huge range of ethnicities, not to mention a range of ages, genders, education, disability, sexuality, etc. OP made a racist statement that Sikhs and Hindus should "stick to their own kind." We've all heard that before regarding apartheid. Anyone of any background is free to call out and stand up to racism. It has no place in modern society, let alone on a forum of young people. We're supposed to be more educated and more tolerant than previous generations. Shame you're clearly not.

Okay then have it your way.

will you marry me? and you better not refuse because im Indian.

lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Jasaron
Calling somebody a "whitey" is rude. You're very concerned about marriage, but you seem to forget the fundamentals of Sikhism: treating everybody equally and not allowing yourself to become fickle or angry.

So do you think Sikhs should be allowed to marry Hindus?. Or That we should only stick with our own religion? The reason I say Hindus because the religion and culture is similar. Lets just forget about white people for a moment. this topic is mainly about Hindu and Sikh marriages/Relationships. And why they are certain issues that stop theses taking place.

Anyway sorry I must apologies for calling Suzie whitey. Its just her skin was so beautifully white i couldn't resist.
Original post by gt46d
Okay then have it your way.

will you marry me? and you better not refuse because im Indian.

lol

I'm already engaged, I'm afraid. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sikhs should be marrying sikhs and hindus with hindus, why should more of these interfaith marriages happen? UK Sikh organisations are currently trying to ban interfaith marriages in gurdwaras.
Reply 35
My dad and my Grandma still believe in the caste system :frown: they want me to marry a Jat
Reply 36
Original post by Musie Suzie
I'm already engaged, I'm afraid. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats discrimination
your just saying that because im a brownie. maybe if I was white you would give me your number.

lol only jokin...

what race is the person marrying just out of interest?
Original post by gt46d
So do you think Sikhs should be allowed to marry Hindus?. Or That we should only stick with our own religion? The reason I say Hindus because the religion and culture is similar. Lets just forget about white people for a moment. this topic is mainly about Hindu and Sikh marriages/Relationships. And why they are certain issues that stop theses taking place.

Anyway sorry I must apologies for calling Suzie whitey. Its just her skin was so beautifully white i couldn't resist.

Sikhs should marry whoever they want. I am a Sikh because I love my fellow man and woman; not because I believe Sikhi is some sort of exclusive party that we must create marriages to prolong.

If I'm honest, if you're comparing cultures and religions, Sikhism and Hinduism are very, very different. Sikhism is based on monotheism, whereas Hindus believe in multiple Gods. Sikhism is based on total equality, while Hinduism enforces the caste system. I think a comparison between Sikhs and Buddhists would be more accurate. That being said: Hinduism and Sikhism being different has nothing to do with whether or not a Sikh should marry a Hindu. People should marry who they want, regardless of religion.

By saying that we must "stick to our kind" is pretentious and ridiculous. People should marry whoever they want: not who their parents want them to. Life is for living, and not trying to adhere to a set of traditions that are based on bigotry. I'm sure Guru Nanak Ji would never have called other people "another kind", and I don't think you should either.
Reply 38
Original post by Jasaron
Sikhs should marry whoever they want. I am a Sikh because I love my fellow man and woman; not because I believe Sikhi is some sort of exclusive party that we must create marriages to prolong.

If I'm honest, if you're comparing cultures and religions, Sikhism and Hinduism are very, very different. Sikhism is based on monotheism, whereas Hindus believe in multiple Gods. Sikhism is based on total equality, while Hinduism enforces the caste system. I think a comparison between Sikhs and Buddhists would be more accurate. That being said: Hinduism and Sikhism being different has nothing to do with whether or not a Sikh should marry a Hindu. People should marry who they want, regardless of religion.

By saying that we must "stick to our kind" is pretentious and ridiculous. People should marry whoever they want: not who their parents want them to. Life is for living, and not trying to adhere to a set of traditions that are based on bigotry. I'm sure Guru Nanak Ji would never have called other people "another kind", and I don't think you should either.

I disagree according to the Sikh faith we are only allowed to marry another Sikh. If you want to marry anyone of any race go ahead. But I don't think you should dictate what other Sikhs should do and who they should marry which goes against our faith. If there is an exception it should be Hindus as the faith is similar to ours.

As for you comments on Hinduism. You are wrong Hindus also believe in one God. They just have different deities for the many manifestations of God. But they ultimately believe in one God like Sikhs do. Sikhs also believe in re-incarnation which is the same as Hinduism.

I think you are forgetting that this is thread is not just about marriage and relationships. its about having unity with our Hindu brothers and sisters. We are not united enough . maybe because we dont have strong leaders who can bring us together. Think how strong we would be if we were more united.

its common sense. Sikhs and Hindus are both minorities in the UK. we need to stick together more instead of just sticking to our own community. weather this be in marriage, friendships ect. instead we have extremist who try and divide us.

I personaly take time to engage with Hindus community whenever I can. I attend the mandir on festivals such as Neasden and celebrate diwali ect. I also do Raksha bandan. like may Sikhs do. and you say we have more in common with Buddhism??? lol when was the last time you went to a Buddhist monastry?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by skb95
My dad and my Grandma still believe in the caste system :frown: they want me to marry a Jat

You are not Jat first of all. There is no caste in Sikhism.

You are only Sikh!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending