The Student Room Group

Why did the SNP vote on english hunting laws?

I know, some of you are going to spout me the old "they're westminster MPs so they can vote on any thing" , or "most english people don't believe in the right of hunting"

but in terms of political rules/constitutionality (modern day), why should scottish MPs, of a country that has its own parliament whereby they as a nation can vote on their own domestic affairs which england doesn't have the right of as of now, vote on english-only matters? why should they poke her big noses into england's legislative affairs? should we begin to poke *our* noses into *scottish* affairs if we think what they're doing in the scottish parliament is wrong? they are truly without principles. they are going to override the constitutional will of the english electorate. if the english electorate cannot be represented by english MPs, who *can* they be represented by? how is it scottish MPs with all the context of the scottish having their own parliament with the english having no such parliament?

I don't agree with the conservatives over this hunting reintroduction, by the way. I only care about constitutional legitimacy within parliament.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Constituentially there is nothing preventing them and most of their supporters are lefties who would be outraged if they didn't. That's why basically.
has nothing to do with foxes

conservatives are just trying to win over english voters by proving a point

but no one in england cares that scotland votes on english matters, why do the Conservatives think they do ?
Reply 3
Original post by zippity.doodah
but in terms of political rules/constitutionality (modern day), why should scottish MPs, of a country that has its own parliament whereby they as a nation can vote on their own domestic affairs which england doesn't have the right of as of now, vote on english-only matters? why should they poke her big noses into england's legislative affairs? should we begin to poke *our* noses into *scottish* affairs if we think what they're doing in the scottish parliament is wrong? they are truly without principles.

Why would they adhere to principles when there's potential advantage to be found? Why would you expect the SNP, of all parties, to have principles? In short, why do you find this remotely surprising?

None of their supporters care about what they have pledged in the past. They don't even care about foxes - the Government's proposals are largely to change the law in England to the same as it has been in Scotland, where the SNP has had the power to change it for eight years.
Because leftists are notorious for sticking their hands in someone else's business.
Reply 5
Why did the SNP vote on english hunting laws?

I didn't think they had. I thought the threat of the SNP's vote against the proposal forced the Conservatives to pull tomorrow's vote.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Constituentially there is nothing preventing them and most of their supporters are lefties who would be outraged if they didn't. That's why basically.

in our parliament, convention = constitution, seeing as we have nothing codified.
it has usually been customary for NI and scottish MPs to back off concerning matters for england. or for "england and wales, and now if the SNP are going to go against that principle, then they are going against a matter of the constitution that they themselves created. don't you believe that they should stay out of english legislation/debates? should we start voting on matters devolved to scotland to see how *they* like it seeing as technically nothing codified exists to stop us?
Original post by democracyforum
has nothing to do with foxes

conservatives are just trying to win over english voters by proving a point

but no one in england cares that scotland votes on english matters, why do the Conservatives think they do ?

got any evidence for that? as an english voter, *I* certainly do
Original post by L i b
Why would they adhere to principles when there's potential advantage to be found? Why would you expect the SNP, of all parties, to have principles? In short, why do you find this remotely surprising?

None of their supporters care about what they have pledged in the past. They don't even care about foxes - the Government's proposals are largely to change the law in England to the same as it has been in Scotland, where the SNP has had the power to change it for eight years.

english parties at the very least have the principle of not becoming involved in matters devolved to the regions - the SNP don't even respect the rule that if you have a parliament in your region, you should vote on matters which you are legally entitled to do in that one, not in the national one where england has its representation there solely. SNP are being anti-democratic regarding politics. whatever smidge of respect I had for them is obliterated now if they are trying to tell my country what to do from another country entirely.
Original post by SotonianOne
Because leftists are notorious for sticking their hands in someone else's business.

I can't disagree with this seeing as that's what left-wing politics is all about
Ah boohoo, those horrible leftists won't let us kill foxes.
Original post by SH0405
I didn't think they had. I thought the threat of the SNP's vote against the proposal forced the Conservatives to pull tomorrow's vote.

after some research that would seem to be true - a threat to vote against it, as opposed to already doing it. but it's basically the same effect seeing as they wouldn't mostly go back on their word seeing as it's not going to make scottish voters change their opinion
Original post by SotonianOne

Yeah not like two right wing leaders (Blair and Bush) stuck their fingers in Iraq's business is it?
Original post by Bornblue
Ah boohoo, those horrible leftists won't let us kill foxes.

like I said in the opening post - I completely disagree with hunting
however, there are some things I disagree with more in society, and that's one country telling another country what to do when it's not their electoral business. it's entirely undemocratic given the circumstances and the SNP are dictating to the institutions which give england political/democratic representation. we don't have very democratic institutions, but the SNP are stepping all over the constitutional-legitimacy of their MPs if these MPs are trying to dictate to the english when the english didn't vote for them.
like I said in the opening post - I completely disagree with hunting
however, there are some things I disagree with more in society, and that's one country telling another country what to do when it's not their electoral business. it's entirely undemocratic given the circumstances and the SNP are dictating to the institutions which give england political/democratic representation. we don't have very democratic institutions, but the SNP are stepping all over the constitutional-legitimacy of their MPs if these MPs are trying to dictate to the english when the english didn't vote for them.

No such thing as 'constitutional legitimacy'. As members of the HoC they can vote on all measures in the house.
In the same way the tories of England can impose austerity on Scotland.
No such thing as 'constitutional legitimacy'. As members of the HoC they can vote on all measures in the house.
In the same way the tories of England can impose austerity on Scotland.

english MPs have committed to *not* voting on scottish matters, and for a long time, the scottish MPs agreed to not vote on english matters. however, they're turning their backs on this rule/convention of basic fairness now. this is why I *completely* agree with the principle of EVEL (english votes for english laws), because obviously and clearly, the scottish (or at least the SNP) can't be trusted in politics to be fair for ****
english MPs have committed to *not* voting on scottish matters, and for a long time, the scottish MPs agreed to not vote on english matters. however, they're turning their backs on this rule/convention of basic fairness now. this is why I *completely* agree with the principle of EVEL (english votes for english laws), because obviously and clearly, the scottish (or at least the SNP) can't be trusted in politics to be fair for ****

English MPs can vote on matters for Scotland such as budget cuts, don't see why the can't do the same.
I would say voting against fox hunting is a great thing - stop complaining.
Reply 17
after some research that would seem to be true - a threat to vote against it, as opposed to already doing it. but it's basically the same effect seeing as they wouldn't mostly go back on their word seeing as it's not going to make scottish voters change their opinion

It's annoying. We need to have an English Parliament.
English MPs can vote on matters for Scotland such as budget cuts, don't see why the can't do the same.
I would say voting against fox hunting is a great thing - stop complaining.

a fair democracy is more important than a fox hunting law.
It's completely irrelevant, People hunt anyway, it's been unenforceable. Why change a law if nobody obeys it anyway from a governments perspective. At least the U turn has further shown Cameron as the useless bastard he is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending