The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sirocco11
Rafa has shown time and time again that you should never write him off, and while I'd like to believe it right now, I can't see it happening. He usually spring boards from the clay season and then burns like a comet through the rest of the season, but that didn't happen this year and Wimbledon was another false start. When he hits back he usually winds up with some strong tournament performances beforehand so hopefully he'll try to regain that brilliant form he experienced from March 2013 on the hard courts right up till the World Tour Finals.

Krish has got it spot on though, if nothing is going to happen at all for him at the end of this year he should just try to experiment with his game, change things maybe and enter some smaller tournaments for ranking points. Rafa's a player who needs to build and peak for the majors, so the more tennis, the better.

This... All of the other top players have made changes to their games by bringing in new coaches, while I understand the difficulty of replacing his uncle as coach, nothing is stopping him for adding an extra voice for opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ibrahimbasar
I actually think he will, Rafa always seems to turn it up when people least expect it. Roland Garros shocked him but he'll bounce back.

You shouldn't write him off, of course. I'd be more confident if Rolland Garros was following Wimbledon rather than the US Open, though. I just can't see him winning currently.
Well remember when Fed was sweeping the slams everyone was saying they can't see Nolé or Murray getting a chance.
In 2011/2012 they were saying only nolé will win writing off Nadal and fed and what happened Nadal and fed sweeped up the French and Wimbledon.
Nadal came back winning 2 majors in 2013 when I remember Sue Barker and Tim henman said after 2013 Wimbledon final only nolé and Murray will fight for major titles.
Murray hasn't won a slam since and it took 1 year for nolé to pick up his next slam.
So predictions are hard to make. Who saw a cilic and nishikori final last year US?
In an interview Roger said anyone who plays sensational tennis for 7 matches can win a slam. He looks for longevity and obviously only the big 3 have been able to sustain semis and finals for like 12 years straight.
It's only now where it's perhaps beginning to change, even though 3 of the big 4 were in the semis last week.
Original post by Mackay
You shouldn't write him off, of course. I'd be more confident if Rolland Garros was following Wimbledon rather than the US Open, though. I just can't see him winning currently.

Well remember when Fed was sweeping the slams everyone was saying they can't see Nolé or Murray getting a chance.In 2011/2012 they were saying only nolé will win writing off Nadal and fed and what happened Nadal and fed sweeped up the French and Wimbledon.Nadal came back winning 2 majors in 2013 when I remember Sue Barker and Tim henman said after 2013 Wimbledon final only nolé and Murray will fight for major titles.Murray hasn't won a slam since and it took 1 year for nolé to pick up his next slam.So predictions are hard to make. Who saw a cilic and nishikori final last year US?In an interview Roger said anyone who plays sensational tennis for 7 matches can win a slam. He looks for longevity and obviously only the big 3 have been able to sustain semis and finals for like 12 years straight.It's only now where it's perhaps beginning to change, even though 3 of the big 4 were in the semis last week.
A bit late but very disappointed with Federer losing another Wimbledon final. He was great in the first two sets but had nothing left in the tank after that. Looks like he needs to avoid Djokovic to win another slam. That loss against Cilic at the US Open last year is looking more and more idiotic now.
Davis Cup, always great fun to watch, 2 sets to 1 up in the doubles, 1 more to go!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by eugenius 8
Davis Cup, always great fun to watch, 2 sets to 1 up in the doubles, 1 more to go!
Love watching the DC as well, it's something different & the atmosphere is usually great! :smile: If GB can get past France they have a real chance of winning the whole thing imo :yy:
Looks like France will get another chance this year. Murray seems to have nothing left in the tank unfortunately

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skkc16
Looks like France will get another chance this year. Murray seems to have nothing left in the tank unfortunately

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's physically broken isn't he, his footwork is awful. All the tantrums aren't helping, and he did the thing where he mentally collapses when the other guy is injured, but he just can't move properly when the points go long.

Not a clue how he won that tiebreak. I'm drifting in and out of watching it but it feels like the standard of the match is abysmal. It's dramatic and a really good watch but neither of them are playing very well.
Fabulous effort from Andy. He was completely drained at the end. He was in tears, Leon was in tears. What a team performance. Don't doubt Mr Murray, chaps!
its sad that the two greatest tennis players ever may never win another slam again :frown: nadal obvs if at even 50% fitness can do so at the french, otherwise fed aint ever winning Wimbledon again with novak the beast around, and he aint winning any hard courts either. thoughts?
Original post by welcometoib
its sad that the two greatest tennis players ever may never win another slam again :frown: nadal obvs if at even 50% fitness can do so at the french, otherwise fed aint ever winning Wimbledon again with novak the beast around, and he aint winning any hard courts either. thoughts?

The way I think about it is nadal still has the French, sure he's had a bad year but he'll bounce back, and with federer I still consider him a favourite during the hardcourt swing, the guy reached two finals of Wimbledon back to back and sure if he didn't meet Djokovic he might've won, but he's still up there for the us open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by welcometoib
federer won't win the french or australian. they are slow courts which federer doesn't like and guys like djokovic/nadal are superior on those surfaces. federer has a decent chance on the fast hard courts at the us open, but still can't see him winning the whole thing.
Original post by snowman77
federer won't win the french or australian. they are slow courts which federer doesn't like and guys like djokovic/nadal are superior on those surfaces. federer has a decent chance on the fast hard courts at the us open, but still can't see him winning the whole thing.

I can see him winning the us open...hope he does

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatMadClown

Posted from TSR Mobile
on what basis do you think he will win the us open? he hasn't reached the final since 2009. he hasn't beaten djokovic there since 2009. in the last 3 years, he's lost to players he would have never lost to in his prime. he could reach the quarters or semis, maybe even the final, but winning the whole thing? almost no chance.
Original post by ThatMadClown

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd like to see him win it as well, but he hasn't won it since 2008. He had a good opening last year, but blew it by playing a poor match in the QFs (and was unlucky to run into Cilic in such great form). He'll need a decent draw again and probably Djokovic would have to not be in the final.
on what basis do you think he will win the us open? he hasn't reached the final since 2009. he hasn't beaten djokovic there since 2009. in the last 3 years, he's lost to players he would have never lost to in his prime. he could reach the quarters or semis, maybe even the final, but winning the whole thing? almost no chance.

I agree with this, he had decent chances to win in 2009, 2011 and 2014 (imo he blew the 2009 final - could have been 6 in a row)

Djokovic, as it stands now, is the heavy favourite. We will see how things stand after Montreal and Cincinnati.
Only way Federer is winning the US Open is if he Murray takes out Djokovic in the SF because he ain't beating Djokovic in a slam ever again. He could still Murray in slams. Djokovic is the favourite for US Open but he isn't a massive favourite imo. He is quite vulnerable at US Open and has a 1-4 finals record there. US Open is one of the most open slams in last few years. Even Berdych can win it lol.
Original post by Krish4791
I agree with this, he had decent chances to win in 2009, 2011 and 2014 (imo he blew the 2009 final - could have been 6 in a row)

Djokovic, as it stands now, is the heavy favourite. We will see how things stand after Montreal and Cincinnati.

He should have won it in 2009 and 2014. 2011 was also a decent chance. It was probably the last time where he could physically compete and maybe beat Nadal in slams.

He had a chance last year as well...it was just his luck that he came across GOATing cilic in the semi finals...he enjoys the us open, and if by luck he gets a good draw he should reach the finals, I don't understand why people keep writing the guy off, he just made the Wimbledon finals and for a guy who's almost 34 that's pretty damn good. I don't normally predict the winner of tournaments, but if federer is playing well, and has a good draw don't bet against him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest