The Student Room Group

Sikh and Hindu Interfaith relationships

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gt46d
I disagree according to the Sikh faith we are only allowed to marry another Sikh. If you want to marry anyone of any race go ahead. But I don't think you should dictate what other Sikhs should do and who they should marry which goes against our faith. If there is an exception it should be Hindus as the faith is similar to ours.

It isn't against our faith to marry somebody that isn't Sikh. Find some proof, and I'll shut up. I'm not dictating what other Sikhs should do: I'm saying that they should do what they want. It's the complete opposite.

Original post by gt46d

As for you comments on Hinduism. You are wrong Hindus also believe in one God. They just have different deities for the many manifestations of God. But they ultimately believe in one God like Sikhs do. Sikhs also believe in re-incarnation which is the same as Hinduism.

We're both right, after researching I've found that Hindus are considered both polytheists and monotheists. Sikhs do believe in reincarnation: but so do Buddhists. If the believers in the Flying Spaghetti Monster believe in reincarnation, are they allowed to marry Sikhs by your ruling?

Original post by gt46d

I think you are forgetting that this is thread is not just about marriage and relationships. its about having unity with our Hindu brothers and sisters. We are not united enough . maybe because we dont have strong leaders who can bring us together. Think how strong we would be if we were more united.

We do need unity. We need unity with everybody. Sikhi is the belief that we are all brothers and sisters; not just those that share our beliefs. Surely, as a Sikh, you should be advocating unity with everybody? Not trying to advocate unity for the sake of "strength". You're right in saying that we aren't united enough; we should be united with blacks, whites, Hindus, Christians and anybody else that is loving and fundamentally 'good', be it through marriage or other means.

Original post by gt46d

its common sense. Sikhs and Hindus are both minorities in the UK. we need to stick together more instead of just sticking to our own community. weather this be in marriage, friendships ect. instead we have extremist who try and divide us.

"We need to stick together". We need to stick together with EVERYBODY! Why are you so ardent on only wanting to move closer to Hindus? Surely, by definition, "sticking together" with one group whilst moving away from the majority results in EVEN MORE division?

Original post by gt46d

I personaly take time to engage with Hindus community whenever I can. I attend the mandir on festivals such as Neasden and celebrate diwali ect. I also do Raksha bandan. like may Sikhs do. and you say we have more in common with Buddhism??? lol when was the last time you went to a Buddhist monastry?

Alright. Congratulations (?) on your taking part in Hindu festivals. I feel that we have more in common with Buddhism because Buddhism is quite peaceful and relatively liberal, like Sikhism. You seem to speak a lot about culture. Culture and religion are different. Christian culture is a set of traditions and festivals that change as time goes on. The religion of Christianity, however, is outlined in the Bible, which has not changed for about 1500 years. Know the difference.

What has me visiting a monastery got to do with anything? I've got things in Common with Nick Clegg, but I've never been to his house. You don't need to physically be with a person to have things in common with them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
jasoron, You seem be obsessed with white people and turn everything into some kind of prejudice towards whites. First of all Sikhs are already well established in Britian. we are well integrated already. so there is no need for more unity with white people as you put it. But you seem to be insistent on bringing white people in whenever you can. I dont have anything against white people.

I have many white friends. Infact that is exactly my point. we probably have more white friends then Hindu. why is that? Is it because we have extremist who want to divide us and encourage us not to mix with our fellow Hindus? Sikhs and Hindus are not as united as they should be. That is a fact. I am just addressing this issue in the thread. yet you keep bringing white people into it for no reason. Its simply and observation that I have noticed. I am not saying we dont mix with Hindus at all. We do to a certain extent but we should do alot more. what is wrong with that?

THIS TOPIC IS JUST ABOUT SIKHS AND HINDUS WHEN WILL YOU GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD.. T
o clarify its is common sense that Sikhs should get along with everyone. why you must bring white/black/Chinese in to it i have no idea. i guess you just like labeling people as racist. and you are probably the racist yourself, judging by your comments on Hinduism,

Are you saying Hinduism is not a peaceful religion btw?

As for Sikhs can only marry Sikhs . Just do some research you will find information on it .

Anyway thanks to you I think this topic has be diverted to something else. when it should be about Hindu and Sikh relationships and why we dont see more of them. I am not suggesting that Sikhs go out of their way to marry a Hindu. But we should not discriminate based on their faith like some of the stories we have seen on this thread already.

I think will be my last post as we have addressed the main points. any many people have repped my topic so i have done my job.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by gt46d

This is not right. we should be sticking together not marrying white or non Sikh or non Hindu people.
But its a shame that we are seeing many of our people marrying other races and religions.

You know how bad that sounds, right? You're saying that you can marry another faith as long as they're Indian, otherwise it's bad. If you're going to attempt to promote interfaith and race marriages/relationships, you can't pick and choose the faiths/races. You should accept all interfaith/race relationships.
Reply 43
Original post by Jasaron
It isn't against our faith to marry somebody that isn't Sikh. Find some proof, and I'll shut up. I'm not dictating what other Sikhs should do: I'm saying that they should do what they want. It's the complete opposite.

We're both right, after researching I've found that Hindus are considered both polytheists and monotheists. Sikhs do believe in reincarnation: but so do Buddhists. If the believers in the Flying Spaghetti Monster believe in reincarnation, are they allowed to marry Sikhs by your ruling?

We do need unity. We need unity with everybody. Sikhi is the belief that we are all brothers and sisters; not just those that share our beliefs. Surely, as a Sikh, you should be advocating unity with everybody? Not trying to advocate unity for the sake of "strength". You're right in saying that we aren't united enough; we should be united with blacks, whites, Hindus, Christians and anybody else that is loving and fundamentally 'good', be it through marriage or other means.

"We need to stick together". We need to stick together with EVERYBODY! Why are you so ardent on only wanting to move closer to Hindus? Surely, by definition, "sticking together" with one group whilst moving away from the majority results in EVEN MORE division?

Alright. Congratulations (?) on your taking part in Hindu festivals. I feel that we have more in common with Buddhism because Buddhism is quite peaceful and relatively liberal, like Sikhism. You seem to speak a lot about culture. Culture and religion are different. Christian culture is a set of traditions and festivals that change as time goes on. The religion of Christianity, however, is outlined in the Bible, which has not changed for about 1500 years. Know the difference.

What has me visiting a monastery got to do with anything? I've got things in Common with Nick Clegg, but I've never been to his house. You don't need to physically be with a person to have things in common with them.

YES! Yes, yes, yes! Sikhi is a peaceful religion with promotes equality amongst everyone, regardless of race or faith. I don't know why the OP is stating it should only be between Hindus and Sikhs.

Another thing, Sikhs don't believe in superstitious worship, so we shouldn't be celebrating Diwali, Raksha Bandhan, or any other Hindu custom. Many modern Sikhs put so much effort into celebrating customs belonging to other faiths, such as Christmas and Diwali, yet don't know about their own, such as Bandi Chhor Divas and Puranmashi.
Reply 44
Original post by kaykayM
YES! Yes, yes, yes! Sikhi is a peaceful religion with promotes equality amongst everyone, regardless of race or faith. I don't know why the OP is stating it should only be between Hindus and Sikhs.

Another thing, Sikhs don't believe in superstitious worship, so we shouldn't be celebrating Diwali, Raksha Bandhan, or any other Hindu custom. Many modern Sikhs put so much effort into celebrating customs belonging to other faiths, such as Christmas and Diwali, yet don't know about their own, such as Bandi Chhor Divas and Puranmashi.

why cant Sikhs celebrate Diwali and Raksha Bandan?? yet jasron thinks we should mix and integrate with white people more and celebrate christmas?

I thought that we eventually get some Sikh extremist like yourself on this topic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gt46d
x

Original post by kaykayM
x

You've got this awful habit of not reading what other people have written. KaykayM did NOT say that we shouldn't celebrate Christmas. She's saying we should focus on our own celebrations FIRST, and then look to branch our into other celebrations. She's saying that we shouldn't substitute non-Sikh celebrations for Sikh ones; not that we shouldn't celebrate non-Sikh festivals at all.

By the way: it's 'Jasaron, not 'jasron'.
Reply 46
Original post by gt46d
why cant Sikhs celebrate Diwali and Raksha Bandan?? yet jasron thinks we should mix and integrate with white people more and celebrate christmas?

I thought that we eventually get some Sikh extremist like yourself on this topic.

You make no sense whatsoever. You were being racist by stating that people should "stick to their own kind" and then when a person of that kind, i.e. me, comes along and expresses their view you call them an extremist?

Plus, the fact you completely ignored Bandi Chhor Divas and Puranmashi just proves my point.
What about a white British person of no religion and a Sikh. Would that be accepted?? Would that be alright?? Or do Sikh only want arranged marriages between Sikhs
I think some people commenting on here about not allowing interfaith relationships have been brainwashed with the prejudices of their parents.

I know growing up in a 'sikh' family my parents always told me to stick with my own and that I would marry into the same caste or whatever.

My old sister is now engaged to a guy from a hindu family. (Wedding planned for next year). They've been together over 7 years. I think as long as you're happy and inlove then who cares about what others think.

Im wondering if 1984 has anything to do with all the hatred towards each other?
Original post by gt46d
A VERY LONG, LOUD, AND VERY POORLY WRITTEN PIECE THAT CALLS ME A RACIST AND ADDRESSES NONE OF MY POINTS

Find me some proof saying that Sikhs aren't allowed to marry non-Sikhs. I'm obviously too much of a stupid racist to do it myself. Do it. Enlighten me.
Original post by Jasaron
Find me some proof saying that Sikhs aren't allowed to marry non-Sikhs. I'm obviously too much of a stupid racist to do it myself. Do it. Enlighten me.

I do know I Sikh who I think has to marry a Sikh, though I'm saying "think" so I'm not certain which is why I'm keeping an eye on this thread to know if they do or not
Reply 51
Original post by Jasaron
You've got this awful habit of not reading what other people have written. KaykayM did NOT say that we shouldn't celebrate Christmas. She's saying we should focus on our own celebrations FIRST, and then look to branch our into other celebrations. She's saying that we shouldn't substitute non-Sikh celebrations for Sikh ones; not that we shouldn't celebrate non-Sikh festivals at all.

By the way: it's 'Jasaron, not 'jasron'.

This is exactly what I was saying, you worded it perfectly!
Original post by EliteWolf98
I do know I Sikh who I think has to marry a Sikh, though I'm saying "think" so I'm not certain which is why I'm keeping an eye on this thread to know if they do or not

I am a Sikh, and neither the Gurus, nor our holy book, have called inter-faith marriage a sin. That's why I'm begging the user to give me proof that says otherwise. I suspect he'll send me a piece of opinion, if anything at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jasaron
I am a Sikh, and the Gurus, nor our holy book, have called inter-faith marriage a sin. That's why I'm begging the user to give me proof that says otherwise. I suspect he'll send me a piece of opinion, if anything at all.

Ah interesting, fair enough, if that's what your religion says I respect that, just wondered out of personal interest :smile:

Edit: I think I read that wrong, so Sikhs can marry non Sikhs which is a good thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Jasaron
I am a Sikh, and neither the Gurus, nor our holy book, have called inter-faith marriage a sin. That's why I'm begging the user to give me proof that says otherwise. I suspect he'll send me a piece of opinion, if anything at all.

Well if You want to have a Sikh marriage in the Gurdwara both girl and boys needs to be Sikh. This is a ruling directly set out by the Akal Takt. The highest authority on Sikhsm otherwise the marriage will not be recognized That is our faith.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by kaykayM
You make no sense whatsoever. You were being racist by stating that people should "stick to their own kind" and then when a person of that kind, i.e. me, comes along and expresses their view you call them an extremist?

Plus, the fact you completely ignored Bandi Chhor Divas and Puranmashi just proves my point.

Extremist extremist, extremist and militant Sikhs like you are the ones that cause all the trouble. why discriminate against Hindu festivals? yet you will marry a non sikh and probably celebrate their festivals??

Is that not a contradiction?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by candlejsra
I think some people commenting on here about not allowing interfaith relationships have been brainwashed with the prejudices of their parents.

I know growing up in a 'sikh' family my parents always told me to stick with my own and that I would marry into the same caste or whatever.

My old sister is now engaged to a guy from a hindu family. (Wedding planned for next year). They've been together over 7 years. I think as long as you're happy and inlove then who cares about what others think.

Im wondering if 1984 has anything to do with all the hatred towards each other?

If a Sikh or Hindu only wants to marry in their own faith. Why are they brainwashed?
Original post by gt46d
Well if You want to have a Sikh marriage in the Gurdwara both girl and boys needs to be Sikh. This is a ruling directly set out by the Akal Takt. The highest authority on Sikhsm otherwise the marriage will not be recognized That is our faith.

The Akal Takt do not speak for the Gurus. They speak for what they think Sikhs should do. Your proof is the opinion of people who did not write the Guru Granth Sahib, nor even spoke to the Gurus. That's not proof at all. Whether Gurdawaras allow inter-faith marriages is irrelevant. They are not run by the Gurus. They are run by committees with certain opinions.

Either find me a quote from the Guru Granth Sahib or accept that inter-faith marriage is not against Sikhism.
Reply 58
Original post by Jasaron
The Akal Takt do not speak for the Gurus. They speak for what they think Sikhs should do. Your proof is the opinion of people who did not write the Guru Granth Sahib, nor even spoke to the Gurus. That's not proof at all. Whether Gurdawaras allow inter-faith marriages is irrelevant. They are not run by the Gurus. They are run by committees with certain opinions.

Either find me a quote from the Guru Granth Sahib or accept that inter-faith marriage is not against Sikhism.

Well I am sure people from the supreme Akal Takt know more about Sikhism and its teachings then you and me. And dont make decisions without the help and knowledge from Sikh religious custodians. regarding inter-faith weddings

are you saying you know more then the Akal Takt and its hundreds of scholars who have researched our religion . who then make rulings based on our teachings in the SGGS?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gt46d
Well I am sure people from the Akal Takt know more about Sikhism and its teachings then you and me. And dont make decisions without the help and knowledge from Sikh religious custodians. so there is your answer about inter-faith weddings?

are you saying you know more then the Akal Takt and its hundreds of scholars who have researched our religion?

I'm saying that you need to find me a quote from the Guru Granth Sahib saying that inter-faith marriage is sinful. If no such quote exists, then the Akal Takt are just as knowledgeable on the matter as you or I. If such a quote exists, then I am incorrect in saying that inter-faith marriage isn't a sin.

Find a quote, or accept that you're wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest