The Student Room Group

A-Level Subject Options

I've been debating on which courses to take for my A levels for quite some time. I know for definite I want to study English Literature, History and Psychology; however I am unsure on which fourth subject would be best for me. I have considered taking Law as it is a subject that I am very interested in and fascinates me, however I have seen mixed reviews on the subject as it is considered 'soft' and isn't a well respected subject. I want to take subjects that are respected and Universities admire, please can someone help me choose a subject? Is Law really that bad? Thank you!
Original post by lolariley
I've been debating on which courses to take for my A levels for quite some time. I know for definite I want to study English Literature, History and Psychology; however I am unsure on which fourth subject would be best for me. I have considered taking Law as it is a subject that I am very interested in and fascinates me, however I have seen mixed reviews on the subject as it is considered 'soft' and isn't a well respected subject. I want to take subjects that are respected and Universities admire, please can someone help me choose a subject? Is Law really that bad? Thank you!

I think that the real subjects to take at A level are subjects that interest you, subjects which will compel you to work hard and achieve the top grades in them. Talk of 'soft' A levels is nothing more than subject elitism! The Russell Group Universities have recently published a list of so-called 'facilitating subjects', which include History, Geography, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Modern/Classical Languages and English Literature. However, people are mistaken in thinking that RG universities look upon any of these A levels any more favourably than, say, Law, for example. This list of subjects was intended only as guidance for people who do not know what to study at university; it was hoped that, through publishing a list of subjects that are most-commonly asked for to study courses at university, people with no idea of a future career would choose four of these subjects at AS level and thus have all pathways open for them when they eventually apply for university.

Eg: Biology is a facilitating subject, because a vast array of courses from Medicine to Psychology can specify that they want their appliants to possess an A level in Biology.

Read page 17 here: http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

In response to your question, I think Law is a commendable subject to study at A level. My friend studies it: it requires good written English skills and there is a lot of material to cover. Don't change your choices on the grounds that someone has told you a subject is 'soft'; the subjects you take are YOUR choice :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Elisha Rebekah
I think that the real subjects to take at A level are subjects that interest you, subjects which will compel you to work hard and achieve the top grades in them. Talk of 'soft' A levels is nothing more than subject elitism! The Russell Group Universities have recently published a list of so-called 'facilitating subjects', which include History, Geography, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Modern/Classical Languages and English Literature. However, people are mistaken in thinking that RG universities look upon any of these A levels any more favourably than, say, Law, for example. This list of subjects was intended only as guidance for people who do not know what to study at university; it was hoped that, through publishing a list of subjects that are most-commonly asked for to study courses at university, people with no idea of a future career would choose four of these subjects at AS level and thus have all pathways open for them when they eventually apply for university.

Eg: Biology is a facilitating subject, because a vast array of courses from Medicine to Psychology can specify that they want their appliants to possess an A level in Biology.

Read page 17 here: http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

In response to your question, I think Law is a commendable subject to study at A level. My friend studies it: it requires good written English skills and there is a lot of material to cover. Don't change your choices on the grounds that someone has told you a subject is 'soft'; the subjects you take are YOUR choice :smile:

Thank you so much, that was really helpful! I think I may stick with studying Law! :smile:
Even if Law is a bit softer, your other A levels are good! It's advisable to take a softer 4th, I took Philosophy and Ethics for example.

Often because universities like to start the course from scratch, in their own way, Law isn't considered the best. But it's safe to say, it's not as respected as something like maths or a language.

But most importantly, choose what you enjoy, English and History are excellent A levels :smile:

you're taking all difficult subjects, if you enjoy law, choose law as your fourth. :smile:
it's probably not gonna make much difference to universities anyway. :smile:
Reply 5

Most schools are really flexbile with letting you drop an A Level and picking up a different one early on so I wouldn't worry about it too much!

Quick Reply

Latest