The Student Room Group

Degree to study to get into criminal justice?

I want to become a DCI (detective) and go into criminology or I either want to go into law and become a solicitor. What would be the best degree to study to keep my options open? Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WaywardWriter
I want to become a DCI (detective) and go into criminology or I either want to go into law and become a solicitor. What would be the best degree to study to keep my options open? Thanks :smile:

DC is a detective. DCI is a detective chief inspector.

Do law, innit. With that, you leave many doors open and it's a lot more useful with regard to crime fighting than criminology. Knowing what makes a murder case, what makes something a robbery instead of a burglary, what makes something GBH instead of ABH. These things can be taught on the job as a copper, but the law grad will have a much deeper understanding. Criminology is just sociology which looks at crime. It's not too useful.
Original post by callum_law
DC is a detective. DCI is a detective chief inspector.

Do law, innit. With that, you leave many doors open and it's a lot more useful with regard to crime fighting than criminology. Knowing what makes a murder case, what makes something a robbery instead of a burglary, what makes something GBH instead of ABH. These things can be taught on the job as a copper, but the law grad will have a much deeper understanding. Criminology is just sociology which looks at crime. It's not too useful.

Thanks for the reply :smile: Yeah, I was leaning more towards law but I'm scared that I'm just going to become one of many law graduates. It's extremely competitive these days and employment is not exactly guaranteed. :confused:
Thanks for the reply :smile: Yeah, I was leaning more towards law but I'm scared that I'm just going to become one of many law graduates. It's extremely competitive these days and employment is not exactly guaranteed. :confused:

I'd rather be one of many law graduates who have studied a demanding academic subject than one of few who have studied criminology, which is a bit lighter of a subject. If you're a law grad, no one is saying you have to go the solicitor route. I think you learn many things as part of your studies which helps everyone in their day-to-day lives, be it in their professional lives (as a copper, maybe) or private lives when it comes to Virgin Media telling them you owe them an extra 15 quid this week. Most law grads will not become lawyers and will end up in business, or something equally tedious.

If you want to become a solicitor, it's going to be competitive no matter what route you take. Doing a law degree is hardly a disadvantage! It's a good general degree to have, even if you don't want to practice.
That career choice sounds quite interesting and i suggest choosing law to study. Not all universities have criminology as an option however i think all have law. This will also allowyou to keep your options open. I was wondering if you were thinking of becoming a DCI by working your way through the ranks or by fast track?
I'd rather be one of many law graduates who have studied a demanding academic subject than one of few who have studied criminology, which is a bit lighter of a subject. If you're a law grad, no one is saying you have to go the solicitor route. I think you learn many things as part of your studies which helps everyone in their day-to-day lives, be it in their professional lives (as a copper, maybe) or private lives when it comes to Virgin Media telling them you owe them an extra 15 quid this week. Most law grads will not become lawyers and will end up in business, or something equally tedious.

Yeah I get what you mean. Thanks for the advice I'll try and take some of it on board:biggrin:
Original post by Clarafehybelle
That career choice sounds quite interesting and i suggest choosing law to study. Not all universities have criminology as an option however i think all have law. This will also allowyou to keep your options open. I was wondering if you were thinking of becoming a DCI by working your way through the ranks or by fast track?

That's another thing, if I do want to become a DC isn't it compulsory that you work your way through the ranks? I heard all DC have to do a minimum 2 years as a regular officer? Which is kinda off putting
Original post by User1214833
If you want to become a solicitor, it's going to be competitive no matter what route you take. Doing a law degree is hardly a disadvantage! It's a good general degree to have, even if you don't want to practice.

yeah true. What do law graduates tend to go into other than law?
You don't need a degree to be a policeman.

A degree in Law will be a complete and utter waste of time - and money.
What do law graduates tend to go into other than law?

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/law.htm
Original post by returnmigrant
You don't need a degree to be a policeman.

A degree in Law will be a complete and utter waste of time - and money.

Policeman? What is this, 1972?

As the poster said, they were unsure about their career path and wanted to take a degree which would give them the most options. Also, do you appreciate how hard it is to become a police officer? It's a very competitive application procedure. Having a degree behind you, especially an LLB, would be helpful.

have you considered a joint honours? perhaps law with criminology/ criminology and criminal justice
Original post by cherryred90s
have you considered a joint honours? perhaps law with criminology/ criminology and criminal justice

I have considered joint honours but the problem is that not many institutions offer it. Or if they do they aren't exactly top institutions, (not to sound like a prude) However, I have spotted a few like Birmingham and Manchester which gives me hope :redface:
I have considered joint honours but the problem is that not many institutions offer it. Or if they do they aren't exactly top institutions, (not to sound like a prude) However, I have spotted a few like Birmingham and Manchester which gives me hope :redface:

Don't sully your law degree with criminology. For the love of all that is holy, don't do it.
Don't sully your law degree with criminology. For the love of all that is holy, don't do it.

If that's where the interest of the OP lies, I don't know why you would tell them not to do it :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
You don't need any qualifications to join the police.
However a graduate entry might speed up promotion.

A law degree would be of more use if you change your mind later.
Don't be influenced by TV programmes.

Haha :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending