The Student Room Group

Angela Merkel openly admits on TV that Germany can't cope with the migrant crisis

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/16/angela-merkel-comforts-teenage-palestinian-asylum-seeker-germany?CMP=fb_gu
The Guardian got hold of a video with Angela Merkel talking to a Palestinian refugee who is facing deportation back to Palestine. In it, Merkel openly admits the obvious, that Germany, like Italy and Greece, is buckling under the strain of the African/Middle East migrant crisis unfolding in the Mediterranean. What are your thoughts on the crisis? I'm of the belief that this is now, alongside the fiscal crisis in Greece and the crisis in Ukraine, one of the major issues facing Europe as a whole. What do you believe needs to be done to tackle this? Do we deny migrants entry into the EU by amending asylum law or do we take any and all in? Or do we follow a sensible hybrid policy that is more thorough and thought out properly? Do you feel that the UK is in a lucky position to not be facing the added pressure of the crisis in the Mediterranean?

Scroll to see replies

It is not the EU's responsibility to house every refugee in the world. Merkel was harsh, but she was being truthful.
Original post by Fango_Jett
It is not the EU's responsibility to house every refugee in the world. Merkel was harsh, but she was being truthful.

So who's responsibility is it?

I think Merkel was fair in what she said however, that much is true.

However, I think all the countries should bear the brunt of it all.

I think it's just the geography of the world, there's no way migrants can stow away on ships to America or on flights.

Russia would probably roast them alive.

They're fleeing from the middle east.

Where else is there for them to go?

Of course a better solution would be to eradicate the stem of the problem and make it worth living in for them so no one has to seek asylum.
In practice I completely agree with her but I don't know why, when I read this story I felt really sorry for the girl. I agree we can not house the world, there are billions who would desire a life in Europe but we can not support them all. Our citizens come first and foremost. Since there is poverty in European countries already until that is sorted we can not fix poverty else where.
Original post by L'Evil Fish

I think Merkel was fair in what she said however, that much is true.

However, I think all the countries should bear the brunt of it all.

I think it's just the geography of the world, there's no way migrants can stow away on ships to America or on flights.

Russia would probably roast them alive.

They're fleeing from the middle east.

Where else is there for them to go?

Of course a better solution would be to eradicate the stem of the problem and make it worth living in for them so no one has to seek asylum.

America neither wants or cares about the refugees. Given that America is one of the staunchest advocates of Israel, it would be pretty odd to send Palestinian refugees to them. Russia wouldn't be great for them either.

I don't know where they go, and it frankly isn't our responsibility. The best we should do is take in people who will be useful to our economy, such as refugees who are skilled in STEM fields.
Reply 5
Make use of the sea. Start building!
Reply 6
such as refugees who are skilled in STEM fields.

Pigs might fly...? Seriously, I doubt that more than 0.1% of refugees have any skill in a stem field. Firstly, no women or children will have that much education. which knocks out roughly 75% of the field. Then. most refugees are poor and won't have had a good education, so it's highly unlikely.
America neither wants or cares about the refugees. Given that America is one of the staunchest advocates of Israel, it would be pretty odd to send Palestinian refugees to them. Russia wouldn't be great for them either.

I don't know where they go, and it frankly isn't our responsibility. The best we should do is take in people who will be useful to our economy, such as refugees who are skilled in STEM fields.

Bloody hell, that's ridiculous.

No one chooses where they're born, so the fact they could be subject to horrendous conditions as a result is unjust.
Original post by marco14196
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/16/angela-merkel-comforts-teenage-palestinian-asylum-seeker-germany?CMP=fb_gu
The Guardian got hold of a video with Angela Merkel talking to a Palestinian refugee who is facing deportation back to Palestine. In it, Merkel openly admits the obvious, that Germany, like Italy and Greece, is buckling under the strain of the African/Middle East migrant crisis unfolding in the Mediterranean. This is now, alongside the fiscal crisis in Greece and the crisis in Ukraine, one of the major issues facing Europe as a whole.

Finally someone has the balls to say it.
Reply 9
Stop taking refugees. It isnt helping anyone. We are just making our own countries poorer and not solving any problems in the countries these people come from.
We should focus on helping in those countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pvdp
Stop taking refugees. It isnt helping anyone. We are just making our own countries poorer and not solving any problems in the countries these people come from.
We should focus on helping in those countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem is that would make us even poorer, we'd have to send in troops, promote democratic proceedings and discourage violence, donate supplies, build infrastructure and potentially even set up countries. Given how that's worked out in Iraq and Afghanistan, it doesn't work particularly well and it's still much cheaper to accept the refugees.
there is plenty of room in Australia.
Australia does it best, they ensure there is no illegal immigration by stopping illegal immigrants from setting foot on their soil.

We have no obligation to take anyone, and even if they arrive here, under the rules of asylum we should just bung 'em back - we won't be the first safe country they come to. Maybe a change of benefit rules would keep them away.
Bloody hell, that's ridiculous.

No one chooses where they're born, so the fact they could be subject to horrendous conditions as a result is unjust.

Tough. Life isn't fair. This kind of pseudo guilt does no one any favours.

We aren't obligated to do anything for them. Merkel is right in choosing to protect the interests of Germany over the interests of the refugees.
Original post by hello135
Pigs might fly...? Seriously, I doubt that more than 0.1% of refugees have any skill in a stem field. Firstly, no women or children will have that much education. which knocks out roughly 75% of the field. Then. most refugees are poor and won't have had a good education, so it's highly unlikely.

Then we only take 0.1% of the refugees and their immediate families? I don't get what your point is.
Reply 15
Original post by Helloworld_95
The problem is that would make us even poorer, we'd have to send in troops, promote democratic proceedings and discourage violence, donate supplies, build infrastructure and potentially even set up countries. Given how that's worked out in Iraq and Afghanistan, it doesn't work particularly well and it's still much cheaper to accept the refugees.

We are sending ****loads of money to these countries - result: no result. Here in switzerland we have one of the highest percentages of refugees and they get so much money and misbehave. This is so not working

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed.

More respect for someone willing to tell me the truth, rather than lie to ones face.

Weird. I lost respect for Merkel on her comment about marriage recently and her role in the absolute abuse of Greece but this video has sort of made me soften my attitude towards her (a bit).

No-ones. if it's anyone's it's the responsibility of the ****-heads in the middle-east to stop the abuse, fighting and killing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Living in a rich country is like being in a boat and seeing a drowning person. "If we let them in the boat, we'd have to give them a share of our food and water, which means less for us. It's not our problem they're drowning. Ok, now pass the chocolate biscuits."
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Indeed.

More respect for someone willing to tell me the truth, rather than lie to ones face.

Weird. I lost respect for Merkel on her comment about marriage recently and her role in the absolute abuse of Greece but this video has sort of made me soften my attitude towards her (a bit).

No-ones. if it's anyone's it's the responsibility of the ****-heads in the middle-east to stop the abuse, fighting and killing.

Well all you people are **** quite frankly.

No point saying anything because you don't believe anyone should help, it's their own problem, let them deal with it is all some people here seem to think.
The west needs to stop messing things up in the east

Quick Reply