The Student Room Group

School Direct Trainees 2015 *those who have accepted an offer* :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pineapple pie
Are any of you TA's?
I am worried that I will fall into my old TA roll whilst the teacher is in the class.
How can I avoid this?

Thanks in advance x
Posted from TSR Mobile

I was a TA last year.... And also at the same school I have for my home placement too!

I think they ease you into it. On my course they give you a plan at first and kind of make you do it. I don't think you will be able to go to the TA role tbh x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find it interesting to find out how they are all structured and compare notes x
We have to go to our placement school inset days on 1 and 2 sep so no more time for inductions now!!
Big day tomorrow as I meet my school. Trying to think what to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have the induction on 2nd then 3rd and 4th in school starting placement.

Eek im meeting mine next week (although I've been there!) what age are you doing general primary or early years? Do you know what year you are in x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find it interesting to find out how they are all structured and compare notes x
We have to go to our placement school inset days on 1 and 2 sep so no more time for inductions now!!
Big day tomorrow as I meet my school. Trying to think what to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignore me just read your other post properly! I would ask whether there are any EAL students, any with additional needs if so what. What phonics program they use. I always like to ask people how their career has gone I.e teacher for x amount of years, tutor for x amount gets them on board! About their policies etc x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beanbrain
YAY! Thank goodness, now you have time to prepare and get sorted for when you're leaving. Will you work up until the very end, or are you going to take a little time off?

Well I finish work for the summer hols on Friday so will have a month off :smile: think I'll return & earn some extra money - I'm planning to work until fri 4th sept & start teacher training on mon 7th. Mad I know - but it think I'd prefer to keep busy! Have u heard anything yet?
Original post by shanzy_91
Well I finish work for the summer hols on Friday so will have a month off :smile: think I'll return & earn some extra money - I'm planning to work until fri 4th sept & start teacher training on mon 7th. Mad I know - but it think I'd prefer to keep busy! Have u heard anything yet?

I just got a weird letter from UCAS telling me some stuff that I didn't need to know! But otherwise, I know that I have 3 induction days at the beginning of September at the lead school, then start my main placement on the 7th.

I'm counting the days now until I leave my job! 14 days of work left, then I disappear to Australia for 3 weeks, return the last week of August and visit a few family members before starting. I'm really hating my job at the moment, unfortunately, because of staffing issues :frown: it's horrible how one person has ruined a job that I really enjoy for the last few weeks... Roll on August!
I just got a weird letter from UCAS telling me some stuff that I didn't need to know! But otherwise, I know that I have 3 induction days at the beginning of September at the lead school, then start my main placement on the 7th.

I'm counting the days now until I leave my job! 14 days of work left, then I disappear to Australia for 3 weeks, return the last week of August and visit a few family members before starting. I'm really hating my job at the moment, unfortunately, because of staffing issues :frown: it's horrible how one person has ruined a job that I really enjoy for the last few weeks... Roll on August!

Ahh that's ****ty about your job but you've really not got long left - you could do a countdown. I am! Australia - wow, I'm jel. In sure you'll have an amazing time :smile: sounds like you have an exciting summer planned.
Original post by shanzy_91
Ahh that's ****ty about your job but you've really not got long left - you could do a countdown. I am! Australia - wow, I'm jel. In sure you'll have an amazing time :smile: sounds like you have an exciting summer planned.

Yep, I'm quite literally telling myself "just 3 weeks, just 3 weeks" whenever I get annoyed about something!

I was in Australia for a couple of years, until last June, so I'm going back to visit some of the people there. Exciting is definitely the word, and there was no way I was going to work all the way up until September when going back was an option!
Yep, I'm quite literally telling myself "just 3 weeks, just 3 weeks" whenever I get annoyed about something!

I was in Australia for a couple of years, until last June, so I'm going back to visit some of the people there. Exciting is definitely the word, and there was no way I was going to work all the way up until September when going back was an option!

Haha! Don't blame you for by working until September when you could be travelling. It's always nice to meet with old friends & even better if it's hot and there's a beach nearby! I've just found out induction info - first 3 weeks are induction at school/uni. So excited - it seems REAL now. your last 3 weeks at work will probs go by really quickly
Original post by fenella1987
Hey Amy!

I've accepted on a secondary English too - mines non-salaried so a little different. Be great to hear how much prep you've done and any recommendations/tips so far?!

Hannah

Hi Hannah

It is really nice to hear from a fellow Secondary English trainee :smile:

I had my induction last week and I felt a bit overwhelmed with all the information we were given. Teaching standards e-portfolio, timetable, assignments, pre-course tasks and reading just to name a few! But saying that, now that I have had a couple of days to digest it all I am super excited and cannot wait for September.

I haven't done much prep so far to be honest because I was waiting to see what happened at my induction. Now that it's out the way, I plan on reading the set texts my placement school have told me they will be teaching next year, making sure my subject knowledge is up to scratch and reading up on some teaching basics (like pedagogy, behaviour management and lesson planning).

Have you had any induction days yet? What sort of prep are you planning on doing ready for September?
Just been told where my second placement is and its right out in the middle of nowhere.. :frown: I was one of the two unlucky ones from my alliance who will have to travel to second placements (ur leader said his idea was that our second placements would be close by due to bad weather in January). Its only a 30 minute drive which I guess is not that bad but if there is bad weather then I wouldn't get in as its all back country roads. However the school looks lovely. A very high achieveing CEVA village school!
Anyone else got second placements sorted yet?
Original post by Stephhcharlene
Just been told where my second placement is and its right out in the middle of nowhere.. :frown: I was one of the two unlucky ones from my alliance who will have to travel to second placements (ur leader said his idea was that our second placements would be close by due to bad weather in January). Its only a 30 minute drive which I guess is not that bad but if there is bad weather then I wouldn't get in as its all back country roads. However the school looks lovely. A very high achieveing CEVA village school!

Wow you are lucky we were told we won't find out until December maybe even January!

Is your initial placement close?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This sounds like my main placement school: in the middle of nowhere, difficult to get to in bad weather, but a nice school. Personally I am welcoming the 30 minute commute... gives me time to think about things and take my mind of things while I'm driving.

Lucky you, though. I have no idea when my second placement will be confirmed, because currently my main placement and my lead school aren't sure which classes I'll be placed in during my terms there, so until they confirm that, the second placement is entirely unknown! They try to give us experience in a school that seriously contrasts with our main placement, as well as giving us an entirely different Key Stage experience... but wherever I end up, I'll still have to travel for 30 minutes at least. But like I say, I'm not bothered by that at all :smile:

Like others have said, we don't find out 2nd placements until Dec either. I think they like to see how we go in our 1st placement and then see if a particular school will plug any gaps in our experience.
Met the class teacher and head at my 1st placement last week. It was all very informal butcI got a good feel about it. The teacher does seem like my kind of person with a very similar outlook and belief about how to teach

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louise88x
Wow you are lucky we were told we won't find out until December maybe even January!

Is your initial placement close?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This sounds like my main placement school: in the middle of nowhere, difficult to get to in bad weather, but a nice school. Personally I am welcoming the 30 minute commute... gives me time to think about things and take my mind of things while I'm driving.

Lucky you, though. I have no idea when my second placement will be confirmed, because currently my main placement and my lead school aren't sure which classes I'll be placed in during my terms there, so until they confirm that, the second placement is entirely unknown! They try to give us experience in a school that seriously contrasts with our main placement, as well as giving us an entirely different Key Stage experience... but wherever I end up, I'll still have to travel for 30 minutes at least. But like I say, I'm not bothered by that at all :smile:

Like others have said, we don't find out 2nd placements until Dec either. I think they like to see how we go in our 1st placement and then see if a particular school will plug any gaps in our experience.
Met the class teacher and head at my 1st placement last week. It was all very informal butcI got a good feel about it. The teacher does seem like my kind of person with a very similar outlook and belief about how to teach

Posted from TSR Mobile

We sort ours now as we are such a big Alliance so they want to get ahead of the game! They put us into contrasting places too, such as SEN or high EAL, and opposite key stage. My initial placement is only 10 minutes away and I started there at Easter as a TA to get a feel for the school which is nice! Its a SEN school 4-19, and I will be in a Year 8 class (with two year 7's) but working on KS1 and 2 curriculum! My second placement will be KS1 mainstream. Just been told however that my alliance leader has looked over the placements again and realised that two of us have bee allocated second place whereby we would literally dirve past one another to get there so we have swapped around! It will be a 20 minute journey now but less miles as along a main road in the middle of town; the other lady lives only 10 minutes away from the other school as she is in the next village!! Makes much more sense this way. At least now if we get caught out with snow or anything, its a bit closer, and I will be driving along main roads which would be gritted! :smile:
We sort ours now as we are such a big Alliance so they want to get ahead of the game! They put us into contrasting places too, such as SEN or high EAL, and opposite key stage. My initial placement is only 10 minutes away and I started there at Easter as a TA to get a feel for the school which is nice! Its a SEN school 4-19, and I will be in a Year 8 class (with two year 7's) but working on KS1 and 2 curriculum! My second placement will be KS1 mainstream. Just been told however that my alliance leader has looked over the placements again and realised that two of us have bee allocated second place whereby we would literally dirve past one another to get there so we have swapped around! It will be a 20 minute journey now but less miles as along a main road in the middle of town; the other lady lives only 10 minutes away from the other school as she is in the next village!! Makes much more sense this way. At least now if we get caught out with snow or anything, its a bit closer, and I will be driving along main roads which would be gritted! :smile:

Well that's lucky! How big is your alliance? Just curious as to what constitutes large :smile:
😬 My home school placement details have been confirmed! It's for the whole of autumn term, half of spring term and all of summer term in year 1 at the school I used to TA at. First off in year 1 with the teacher and TA's people I know too..... Feeling much more relaxed about it but scared too as only have a weeks experience in year 1!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone on this thread one Nottingham Trent School's Direct Salaried. I'm hitting a bit of a brick wall regarding tuition fees. I thought, from all of my research before applying, that tuition fees were paid by the school but I have had a letter stating I need to pay £6,000. Anyone had this if so how did you pay, are the professional development loans any good?

Feeling very stressed now 😡😡😡
Original post by Wadders86
Anyone on this thread one Nottingham Trent School's Direct Salaried. I'm hitting a bit of a brick wall regarding tuition fees. I thought, from all of my research before applying, that tuition fees were paid by the school but I have had a letter stating I need to pay £6,000. Anyone had this if so how did you pay, are the professional development loans any good?

Feeling very stressed now 😡😡😡

Did you not apply for a student loan for it? That's how mine is paid :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I cannot get a student loan as the position is salaried, every other university, and the government website says the university funds this but Nottingham Trent doesn't.
Summer holidays. The beginning of...the beginning. I feel nervous and excited. I am going to have 16 classes from September. I need to get planning. Already sorted out my classroom, mostly, and made seating plans and other things. I know I've got to rest but I can't rest knowing that I've got so much I need to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending