The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NekoJyo
I prefer subs, but my sister refuses to watch them

Subs are the best, have you watched Shokugeki no soma?
Original post by H.Ibrahim
Subs are the best, have you watched Shokugeki no soma?

I haven't. What's it about?
I just finished Hunter x Hunter, one of the most satisfying but also frustrating endings I've ever seen. In a way it felt to me like the story had only just begun, and that the group would be off on an even more exciting adventure, exploring more of the world. I just wish there was more :frown:
Original post by NekoJyo
I haven't. What's it about?

Cooking anime called food wars, its pretty funny, what I really recommend is kuroko no basket, Red Fox recommended me it and it is one of the best animes I've watched!
I'm trying to compile a list of anime that I want to watch during the summer, I'd appreciate it if anyone could recommend any specific titles on the list since I'm not sure where to start!

My list so far :
Monster
Gankutsuou
Black Lagoon
Aria (all 3 series)
Ergo Proxy
Kaiji
Eureka Seven
Jojo's Bizzare Adventure
Welcome to the NHK
Nichijou
Planetes
Princess Tutu
Rose of Versailles
Samurai Champloo
Serial Experiments Lain
Shinsekai yori
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Technolyze
Soul Eater
Original post by EdwardElric
I'm trying to compile a list of anime that I want to watch during the summer, I'd appreciate it if anyone could recommend any specific titles on the list since I'm not sure where to start!

My list so far :
Monster
Gankutsuou
Black Lagoon
Aria (all 3 series)
Ergo Proxy
Kaiji
Eureka Seven
Jojo's Bizzare Adventure
Welcome to the NHK
Nichijou
Planetes
Princess Tutu
Rose of Versailles
Samurai Champloo
Serial Experiments Lain
Shinsekai yori
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Technolyze
Soul Eater

My initial reaction is 'all the above', but I realize that's not very helpful. :p:

If it were me, I'd go with Monster for plot, but as it's quite slow-going, I'd probably watch a good comedy alongside it for when I feel like a change of pace (Nichijou or Welcome to the NHK would be perfect for that). I'd also highly recommend Gankutsuou and Samurai Champloo. :yes:
Just binged Psycho-Pass in a day. Man, that was great. It's not quite on the same level as Shinsekai Yori when it comes to the dystopian setting but it was still very enjoyable. The last few episodes felt slightly underwhelming compared to the rest of the show though. Hopefully the second season isn't as bad as people say it is.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
My initial reaction is 'all the above', but I realize that's not very helpful. :p:

If it were me, I'd go with Monster for plot, but as it's quite slow-going, I'd probably watch a good comedy alongside it for when I feel like a change of pace (Nichijou or Welcome to the NHK would be perfect for that). I'd also highly recommend Gankutsuou and Samurai Champloo. :yes:

Cheers AJ - I've heard good things about all of them so I want to have a crack at all of them if I have the time.

I've heard great things about Monster, I'll try to start it this weekend.
Original post by Red Fox
Just binged Psycho-Pass in a day. Man, that was great. It's not quite on the same level as Shinsekai Yori when it comes to the dystopian setting but it was still very enjoyable. The last few episodes felt slightly underwhelming compared to the rest of the show though. Hopefully the second season isn't as bad as people say it is.

I thought Psycho Pass 2 was pretty decent actually. I'd say the plot was quite predictable and the ending underwhelming, but it's by no measure a bad anime.
My only real complaint was that certain characters like Ginoza and Kunizuka lacked development, even more so than the first series.

People whined that it didn't feature Kogami, but for me, Akane was always the more interesting of the two (I like a strong, non-sexualised female protagonist). I also like the fact that it contained homosexual characters that 1) weren't there in the name of fan service and 2) they didn't make a big fuss about it.

Also I think style wise, I'm (unintentionally) turning into Akane. :s-smilie:

Hopefully the movie gets a blu-ray release shortly. I want the fansub!

Really enjoying Durarara!!x2 Ten, despite how awkward it is to type. It took me ages to realise Simon and Kiryu, from the Yakuza games, have the same voice actor. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by El Nombre
I thought Psycho Pass 2 was pretty decent actually. I'd say the plot was quite predictable and the ending underwhelming, but it's by no measure a bad anime.
My only real complaint was that certain characters like Ginoza and Kunizuka lacked development, even more so than the first series.

People whined that it didn't feature Kogami, but for me, Akane was always the more interesting of the two (I like a strong, non-sexualised female protagonist). I also like the fact that it contained homosexual characters that 1) weren't there in the name of fan service and 2) they didn't make a big fuss about it.

Really enjoying Durarara!!x2 Ten, despite how awkward it is to type. It took me ages to realise Simon and Kiryu, from the Yakuza games, have the same voice actor. :biggrin:

I'm about halfway through it and I wouldn't call it a bad show by any means, just not as good as the first season so far.

No Kogami is a shame but I do like Akane. Mika just pisses me off though.

I think the blu-ray for the movie came out a few days ago, so a fansub should be out soon.
Original post by El Nombre

Psycho-pass 2 was pretty okay, and even though the quality of the story dropped a little, by no means did that mean the animation and sound quality fell. (It is Production I.G after all :wink: ) I just missed having Kogami around, and the fact that there was a big hole left where Season 1 finished, and that was "what the hell happened to Kogami?!" All we know is that he's on the run (presumably).

Unintentionally watched Game of Laplace today. Felt the same kind of excitement I haven't felt since watching Psycho-pass. I highly recommend it. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone else think that fairy tail 2014 is pretty poor? Fairy tail was a show I was heavily subscribed to and I would watch it every week( when it was airing in 2013). But I haven't seen like the last 20 episodes or more. I personally think that the new season is pretty boring and sort of childish now.. Not sure if it's just my taste changing and me growing up..

Anyone else feel the same way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently binge watching Monster, I haven't been hooked on an anime this much since Death Note. Johan is easily the best anime villain I've ever seen.
I need the opinions of someone who has seen both FMA and FMA: Brotherhood...

I've only seen the original FMA. I am assured by my friend that Brotherhood is so much better, and that the story differs completely. But does it really? Is it worth the time? At the moment I am finding it difficult to justify watching a remake of a series because I tend to like new concepts and characters.

If it is worth it then great, looks like I have something to binge over the summer! Thanks in advance.
Original post by elen90

I've only seen the original FMA. I am assured by my friend that Brotherhood is so much better, and that the story differs completely. But does it really? Is it worth the time? At the moment I am finding it difficult to justify watching a remake of a series because I tend to like new concepts and characters.

If it is worth it then great, looks like I have something to binge over the summer! Thanks in advance.

Yea 110%

I watched FMA first and I wasn't disappointed, although I dropped the series half way and started again to which I enjoyed.

On the other hand I watched FMAB within a couple of days and even when I was pretty ill I still continued because I was that addicted.

The plot is amazing and more complex, watch it, it's amazing.

They're honestly so different and the difference is more apparent around half way through, so don't think you'll be watching a repeat.

Edit: I now have a FMAB poster in my room

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Yea 110%%%%%%%

I watched FMA first and I wasn't disappointed, although I dropped the series half way and started it again and I enjoyed it very much.

On the other hand I watched FMAB within a couple of days and even when I was pretty ill I still continued because I was that addicted.

The plot is amazing and more complex, watch it, it's amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elen90

I certainly preferred Brotherhood to the 2003 anime, and it does differ a lot. The setting, main characters and central themes are the same, but the plot does go in a completely different direction. In some cases it's best to forget what you know about some of the characters (particularly the hormunculi), since their Brotherhood versions are so different.

The first 13-14 episodes of Brotherhood are 'mostly' a fast-paced recap of events from the first series, up to the point where that went in a completely anime original direction. But even in those early episodes there are some key differences. And from then onwards, there's ~50 episodes of all new material.

So yeah, worth it in my opinion at least. :smile:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I certainly preferred Brotherhood to the 2003 anime, and it does differ a lot. The setting, main characters and central themes are the same, but the plot does go in a completely different direction. In some cases it's best to forget what you know about some of the characters (particularly the hormunculi), since their Brotherhood versions are so different.

The first 13-14 episodes of Brotherhood are 'mostly' a fast-paced recap of events from the first series, up to the point where that went in a completely anime original direction. But even in those early episodes there are some key differences. And from then onwards, there's ~50 episodes of all new material.

So yeah, worth it in my opinion at least. :smile:

Have you seen Kyousougiga (2013), if so what's your opinion on it?
Original post by Red Fox
Have you seen Kyousougiga (2013), if so what's your opinion on it?

I have seen it, and I struggled to really form an overall opinion of the series. :p: Nicely animated, fun characters, very chaotic. One of those shows where I didn't really know what was going on a lot of the time, but I liked it anyway.
Original post by elen90

I've seen both series and while I honestly prefer Fullmetal Alchemist, although Brotherhood is a very good anime as well. I would recommend Brotherhood since it introduces new characters and branches off from the original pretty early on since it is more faithful to the manga. It really is worth your time, and it's nice to compare both series in my opinion (although sadly there are often wars over which adaptation is superior).

I'm curious, what did you think of Fullmetal Alchemist. Have you seen the movie Conqueror of Shamballa? That movie resolves the cliffhanger that Fullmetal Alchemist ended with.

Latest