The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samus2
I've had an xbox 360 for as long as i can remember but to be honest, I prefer the exclusives that are coming out on the playstation - I've been desperate to play the Last of Us and Uncharted. That's the only thing that sold it to me - that and the fact I could get the Batman limited edition ps4!

The last of us is immense. We got a playstation just to play it and it was worth it. Trying to get my missus to go for a ps4 but I think she isn't going to go for it now what she's working all of the time and it's only my home.

I did manage to get my actual computer back today. It still all needs plugging in but it's nice to have her back after 18 months. And it's much easier to sneak a couple of components past my ladylove than hiding a new console :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't get bored in free time. Maybe this is why I found it so stressful to give up so many hours to teaching! I can always find something to do. Sometimes I do really want to be with people and or get out of the house but I'm never lacking things to do to amuse myself.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
The last of us is immense. We got a playstation just to play it and it was worth it. Trying to get my missus to go for a ps4 but I think she isn't going to go for it now what she's working all of the time and it's only my home.

I did manage to get my actual computer back today. It still all needs plugging in but it's nice to have her back after 18 months. And it's much easier to sneak a couple of components past my ladylove than hiding a new console :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's worth getting then!? saw SO many good things about it and really wanted to play it. This is my well done for finishing the PGCE/getting a good job present to myself.
Anyone have an idea/know anyone who has experience with the oxford/cambridge PGCE interviews?
Anyone else going stir crazy? My future-wife works a 9 - 5 job and annoyingly was only part time until the week in finished my pgce so I'm bored half to death. I've been knitting but now my fingers are too sore to do that for much longer :frown:( I can't even drive so I'm stuck out in the sticks with my in-laws.

I'm definitely with you on this. Finally getting around to watching Breaking Bad! My list of things to watch over summer is huge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I love the free time and will be thrilled to only be 9-3 from September! My fiancé works all sorts of crazy hours as a nurse so I am just making things easier for us both by keeping the house tidy, cooking etc. couldn't do that on PGCE.

Breaking bad is so good. I watched it while doing my dissertation during my degree! Slow to start but you get gripped towards the end.
Sorry to hijack the thread while you're looking forward to the summer holiday, I just want some of your opinions. As said in my other post, I've been battling with the uni for clarification on the bursary. It has come to the point that I've decided to contact NCTL myself to clarify. But regardless of the outcome, I wonder whether I should continue with the course.

I fear that perhaps by chasing back and froth with the uni, they may view me as troublesome and may not be very supportive on the course. On one hand, I don't know whether my bitter resentment would have a negative impact on the course in general. On the otherhand, I've worked so hard to come this far and it'd be a big disappointment not to proceed any further, afterall there'll be no maintenace grant next year. I have firmed my offer so can't apply to any other course for this year, plus my colleagues are planning for my leaving meal next month!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hana&feather
Sorry to hijack the thread while you're looking forward to the summer holiday, I just want some of your opinions. As said in my other post, I've been battling with the uni for clarification on the bursary. It has come to the point that I've decided to contact NCTL myself to clarify. But regardless of the outcome, I wonder whether I should continue with the course.

I fear that perhaps by chasing back and froth with the admin + course director, they may view me as troublesome and may not be very supportive on the course. On one hand, I don't know whether my bitter resentment would have a negative impact on the course in general. On the otherhand, I've worked so hard to come this far and it'd be a big disappointment not to proceed any further, afterall there'll be no maintenace grant next year. I have firmed my offer so can't apply to any other course for this year, plus my colleagues are planning for my leaving meal next month!

Just had a look at your posts on the other thread. What a bizarre situation! To me its quite clear that the bursary isn't available to primary courses that teach "only maths" because there are no such courses to my knowledge. To become a qualified teacher for primary you have to demonstrate an ability to teach across the core subjects and an understanding of lots of other things.

The university shouldn't treat you badly or be any less supportive because of this, particularly once it's all sorted and they see that there is a bursary entitlement. The admin staff who handle your queries might not even have much to do with the actual course delivery anyway. This is all presuming you've been polite and helpful throughout your discussions :smile:

However, only you can tell if its right for you. You say something about taking a chance with this provider... Did you already have concerns?

One more thing is, make sure you're being honest wih yourself and be sure that you aren't using this as a reason to not do the pgce when it's actually something else that's worrying you.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alabelle
No I love the free time and will be thrilled to only be 9-3 from September! My fiancé works all sorts of crazy hours as a nurse so I am just making things easier for us both by keeping the house tidy, cooking etc. couldn't do that on PGCE.

Breaking bad is so good. I watched it while doing my dissertation during my degree! Slow to start but you get gripped towards the end.

I live with my in laws so there's no cleaning, cooking or anything to do really. I've been living here for about 2 years and it's still a little awkward. I don't really get to do much. They're a bit traditional and very very organised so I just get in the way if I attempt to do anything. Super awks.

I should hopefully finish breaking bad today :biggrin: can't believe I've watched the whole series in so little time. Almost embarrassing.

Original post by Samus2
It's worth getting then!? saw SO many good things about it and really wanted to play it. This is my well done for finishing the PGCE/getting a good job present to myself.

It's definitely worth it. Make sure you have good speakers! It definitely helps. The storyline is good and definitely compelling enough to drag you through an absolutely terrifying world.

Original post by kpwxx
I don't get bored in free time. Maybe this is why I found it so stressful to give up so many hours to teaching! I can always find something to do. Sometimes I do really want to be with people and or get out of the house but I'm never lacking things to do to amuse myself.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only have my in laws to be with. My friends are all in Nottingham or Manchester and have full time jobs so nobody is really around. future-wife has no sense of adventure so we don't really get to do much at the weekend either. Think I'll probably crack up over the break. I have knitting, gaming, Netflix and a metre long titanic to build but I'm more of an adventuring kinda girl.

I have the boat too but I think supervision is required for that one :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Just had a look at your posts on the other thread. What a bizarre situation! To me its quite clear that the bursary isn't available to primary courses that teach "only maths" because there are no such courses to my knowledge. To become a qualified teacher for primary you have to demonstrate an ability to teach across the core subjects and an understanding of lots of other things.

The university shouldn't treat you badly or be any less supportive because of this, particularly once it's all sorted and they see that there is a bursary entitlement. The admin staff who handle your queries might not even have much to do with the actual course delivery anyway. This is all presuming you've been polite and helpful throughout your discussions :smile:

However, only you can tell if its right for you. You say something about taking a chance with this provider... Did you already have concerns?

One more thing is, make sure you're being honest wih yourself and be sure that you aren't using this as a reason to not do the pgce when it's actually something else that's worrying you.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. It is extremely bizarre. I called Teaching Line at work who says the table on the website is the up-to-date information, but ultimately it is up to the providers to determine their course is eligible and arrange bursaries accordingly.

The PGCE and the age-group is what I really want to do, having now completed my post-offer pre-course observation 'week', there is no doubt about it. Even if a pure primary maths course does exist, I wouldn't take it as that wouldn't be much use in mainstream schools. It's the provider that I'm starting to doubt, also a bit sick of being 'pushy' as normally I can be rather complacid.
(edited 8 years ago)
Got my transcript today and it's so annoying seeing my award title as QTS instead of PGCE because of those essays :frown: . I haven't told my college about those, but they need to see my transcript so I guess I'll have to admit it!
Anyone else going stir crazy? My future-wife works a 9 - 5 job and annoyingly was only part time until the week in finished my pgce so I'm bored half to death. I've been knitting but now my fingers are too sore to do that for much longer :frown:( I can't even drive so I'm stuck out in the sticks with my in-laws.

I'm definitely with you on this. Finally getting around to watching Breaking Bad! My list of things to watch over summer is huge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I loooooove being bored. It's a luxury. I'm enjoying not having anything to do. Catching up on some missed out gaming time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't like TLOS! I am the only person in the world who didn't though.
Original post by Samus2
I've had an xbox 360 for as long as i can remember but to be honest, I prefer the exclusives that are coming out on the playstation - I've been desperate to play the Last of Us and Uncharted. That's the only thing that sold it to me - that and the fact I could get the Batman limited edition ps4!

That sounds like me. Got a xbox 360 when I was like 16, then I purposely bought a ps3 last year so I could play a long list of exclusives I'd been dying to play. Most disappointed me so it wasn't really worth it but at least I know now :tongue: .
Original post by Airfairy
Got my transcript today and it's so annoying seeing my award title as QTS instead of PGCE because of those essays :frown: . I haven't told my college about those, but they need to see my transcript so I guess I'll have to admit it!

I loooooove being bored. It's a luxury. I'm enjoying not having anything to do. Catching up on some missed out gaming time.

I didn't like TLOS! I am the only person in the world who didn't though.

That sounds like me. Got a xbox 360 when I was like 16, then I purposely bought a ps3 last year so I could play a long list of exclusives I'd been dying to play. Most disappointed me so it wasn't really worth it but at least I know now :tongue: .

QTS is all that matters. I was a bit miserable about my pgce not being a PGDE but I've made peace now. I haven't heard about my QTS bit yet. I'm going to worry until that turns up.

I've done all of the gaming I wanted to do. I might have to buy myself a new console. I do now have my lovely gaming pc back (and it runs... woohoo!) so there's potential gaming in there. I think I'm just an outdoors kinda person and I don't handle being alone well so being inside with just my in-laws is a nightmare! And they totally judged me for not emerging from my bedroom until midday today.

I've never met anyone who doesn't love it except for one of the assistant heads at my placement school he just couldn't get into it whereas I played it a couple of times in a week. I might replay the bioshocks (I wrote an absolutely amazing essay on the series for my undergrad and got a mark of 84% for it but haven't played it since because I couldn't stop analysing it.

We did the same! We got a ps3 for that reason too. Dragging my missus over the next gen line is the hardest.
I live with my in laws so there's no cleaning, cooking or anything to do really. I've been living here for about 2 years and it's still a little awkward. I don't really get to do much. They're a bit traditional and very very organised so I just get in the way if I attempt to do anything. Super awks.

I should hopefully finish breaking bad today :biggrin: can't believe I've watched the whole series in so little time. Almost embarrassing.

It's definitely worth it. Make sure you have good speakers! It definitely helps. The storyline is good and definitely compelling enough to drag you through an absolutely terrifying world.

I only have my in laws to be with. My friends are all in Nottingham or Manchester and have full time jobs so nobody is really around. future-wife has no sense of adventure so we don't really get to do much at the weekend either. Think I'll probably crack up over the break. I have knitting, gaming, Netflix and a metre long titanic to build but I'm more of an adventuring kinda girl.

I have the boat too but I think supervision is required for that one :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

When doing an online course on play I found out about Mission: Explore.
http://www.missionexplore.net/

It's designed for kids really but I still think it's cool :P They have loads of 'challenges' in the local area to complete. Some very fun ones on there. It's meant to be about seeing the world from a different perspective to your normal one so could be pretty useful for teaching.

xxx
What is the pass mark for a PGCE written assignment?
Would having an undergraduate masters (MPhys) be beneficial when applying for a PGCE or wouldnt it matter?
Original post by xjay1234
What is the pass mark for a PGCE written assignment?

Original post by TunaTunnel
Would having an undergraduate masters (MPhys) be beneficial when applying for a PGCE or wouldnt it matter?

If you're applying for a science subject like the 'MPhys' suggests then it probably wouldn't make much difference because they want people that badly anyway.
I can finally go back to preparation and writing up my dissertation - the uni has been great once I emailed them the latest bursary guidance.

Are the subject handbooks in English and Maths (maybe science too) worth buying? They are on the recommended list and relate to the curriculum; whether I should buy them for future teaching references, or they are used so sparingly that the library copies would be sufficient?
(edited 8 years ago)
By the way, when do we get our QTS confirmed? My uni told us that we were awarded QTS last month.But ,I looked at the NCTL and found out that they still haven't got mine confirmed yet :s
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hana&feather
I can finally go back to preparation and writing up my dissertation - the uni has been great once I emailed them the latest bursary guidance.

Are the subject handbooks in English and Maths hand (maybe since too) worth buying? They are on the recommended list and relate to the curriculum; whether I should buy them for future teaching references, or they are used so sparingly that the library copies would be sufficient?

Personally I'd wait until you start and see what the library has and what you actually need. I found that if its a subject you're unsure about a book with explanations of terms etc can be helpful. But I never referred to any of my books that much, apart from for essays where subject handbooks are not the most useful.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TunaTunnel

It will help, and make you a better candidate given all other things being equal (subject knowledge is really important, particularly for physics/maths). But honestly, even the best universities aren't very competitive for physics, maths or physics and maths PGCEs. Where it will help you, though, is in negotiating a wage after the PGCE, where a masters in physics would generally allow you to move one point up the payscale, which I think is about £2500/year.

If you're worried about getting on to the PGCE, provided you have a little bit of experience, can show an interest in the job and aren't unsafe to work with children you won't have a problem getting onto the course.
Original post by tory88
It will help, and make you a better candidate given all other things being equal (subject knowledge is really important, particularly for physics/maths). But honestly, even the best universities aren't very competitive for physics, maths or physics and maths PGCEs. Where it will help you, though, is in negotiating a wage after the PGCE, where a masters in physics would generally allow you to move one point up the payscale, which I think is about £2500/year.

If you're worried about getting on to the PGCE, provided you have a little bit of experience, can show an interest in the job and aren't unsafe to work with children you won't have a problem getting onto the course.

I was looking at Cambridge, I'll have an MPhys from Durham at 2:2/2:1 borderline with 3-4 weeks experience in 10 different schools (so far this amount want me) and 3 volunteer projects with school children. The experience side I'll be okay, im just worried if I get a 2:2 it might hinder me, even if I have a masters from a good uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending