The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Britain was built on slavery - how does that make you feel (black/white people)?

Britain was built on slavery - how does that make you feel (black/white people)?

Just want to hear some views, vast fortunes were made by white families on the backs of blacks.

I have always called for a repatriation fund for black people from families who directed benefited. We can now find out the families involved:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/

please state if you are white or black or other.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Same as it made me feel before reading this thread.
Totally indifferent.
Reply 3
Original post by spanker
Same as it made me feel before reading this thread.

which is? could you state if you are white or black thank you
Reply 4
It's history, it doesn't really change any of my views.
Reply 5
Original post by rhadawey
It's history, it doesn't really change any of my views.

hmm not sure black people would agree.
I know my family were involved with the slave trade and yeah it's pretty awful but I don't feel ashamed or anything cause at the time slavery was considered acceptable. Not trying to justify it, just it's history and things have changed.
We are not responsible for the actions of our forefathers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Bill_Gates
which is? could you state if you are white or black thank you

It's history - we can't do anything about it, so why bother dwelling on the past.
It's not like we go round saying
"Ohhh the Romans invaded us, Italy should repay us for all the slavery they put us through."

I don't see why my skin colour is relevant.
It does make me feel ashamed of my country for being so inhuman but did I have a hand in it? No, of course not. I have no moral dilemma to contend with, I was not responsible for such horrid acts. I'm happy that the UK abandoned this practice over a century ago so that it did not tarnish this nation any longer
Original post by will_jg
I know my family were involved with the slave trade and yeah it's pretty awful but I don't feel ashamed or anything cause at the time slavery was considered acceptable. Not trying to justify it, just it's history and things have changed.

hmm that's quite a harsh reply tbh. It's still morally wrong. Even now i think it's wrong to be bombing muslims in the middle east even though now it might appear acceptable due to the rise of "ISIS", innocent people still live on the ground and will get hurt.
Original post by spanker
It's history - we can't do anything about it, so why bother dwelling on the past.
It's not like we go round saying
"Ohhh the Romans invaded us, Italy should repay us for all the slavery they put us through."

I don't see why my skin colour is relevant.

lol @ the last sentence.

Well we still live in a very heavily divided society the black community still face great injustices and the only way to cure them is to look back at history and how our current construct of society has occurred.
lol @ the last sentence.

Well we still live in a very heavily divided society the black community still face great injustices and the only way to cure them is to look back at history and how our current construct of society has occurred.

And what about whites who live in a black community? Do they not get discriminated against?
Original post by spanker
And what about whites who live in a black community? Do they not get discriminated against?

what a weak reply.
put a ****ing sock in it. and i am black before you say anything. I think you're missing the Magna Carta, countless wars, nd simply being an innovative culture that 'made the UK great'...lol. Slavery was a factor but not even the major factor.
what a weak reply.

Not really, it's a valid question.
Original post by darthentantius
put a ****ing sock in it. and i am black before you say anything. I think you're missing the Magna Carta, countless wars, nd simply being an innovative culture that 'made the UK great'...lol. Slavery was a factor but not even the major factor.

Slavery was a leading factor without a doubt. I'm not saying the UK is still a major player it has dwindled everybody else has got on with life i.e China, US, India. However the black community still faces struggles and that's largely due to slavery.
No-one alive is affected by it, all repercussions have ended, so why should we care?
Slavery was a leading factor without a doubt. I'm not saying the UK is still a major player it has dwindled everybody else has got on with life i.e China, US, India. However the black community still faces struggles and that's largely due to slavery.

Due to something that ended over 200 years ago?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest