The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kaouthar
It's not that, It's just that english, as you can tell, is not my first language, and when writing this post I asked a friend of mine who's english about whether or not the word utopia existed in the english vocabulary ( since I translated it from french Utopie, and Italian Utopia), and she simply told me that she had never heard that word and "according to her" it doesn't exist.
I still wrote Utopia in the post because, .. well I went searching for the word on an eng vocabulary and found it , but just to avoid misunderstandings I thought adding the word Illusion , which I know doesn't mean exactly the same thing but for me it represented better what I was trying to say with "Dream(Achieveble) and Utopia/Illusion (idyllic but immaginary , not achievable)

But again, I wrote the two wordout of personal uncertainty, and especially not because I didn't think you capable of knowing its meaning,
I apologize if I made you think that, again it was not my purpose .. :smile:

But a dream is often not achievable either - e.g. it's much less likely that someone will win the lottery (their dream) than gain a place a Cambridge. So Dream / Utopia in your usage are actually pretty much synonyms.

An alternative question (perhaps) would be to ask if people think it is their destiny vs a dream to go to Oxbridge.
Original post by jneill
But a dream is often not achievable either - e.g. it's much less likely that someone will win the lottery (their dream) than gain a place a Cambridge. So Dream / Utopia in your usage are actually pretty much synonyms.

An alternative question (perhaps) would be to ask if people think it is their destiny vs a dream to go to Oxbridge.

I thought he was asking if it lives up to its expectations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know we have to fax or scan in our results statements if we narrowly miss our offer, well do you think I could get away with using one of those iOS scanner apps to save hassle?
Original post by HeyThereHarry
You know we have to fax or scan in our results statements if we narrowly miss our offer, well do you think I could get away with using one of those iOS scanner apps to save hassle?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not that, It's just that english, as you can tell, is not my first language, and when writing this post I asked a friend of mine who's english about whether or not the word utopia existed in the english vocabulary ( since I translated it from french Utopie, and Italian Utopia), and she simply told me that she had never heard that word and "according to her" it doesn't exist.
I still wrote Utopia in the post because, .. well I went searching for the word on an eng vocabulary and found it , but just to avoid misunderstandings I thought adding the word Illusion , which I know doesn't mean exactly the same thing but for me it represented better what I was trying to say with "Dream(Achieveble) and Utopia/Illusion (idyllic but immaginary , not achievable)

But again, I wrote the two wordout of personal uncertainty, and especially not because I didn't think you capable of knowing its meaning,
I apologize if I made you think that, again it was not my purpose .. :smile:

No need to apologize, I just thought it was funny, but clearly I interpreted it differently than you meant it. In any event, going to Cambridge is not an illusion or a Utopia if you're clever, because it is realistically possible.
Original post by Tian1Sky
No need to apologize, I just thought it was funny, but clearly I interpreted it differently than you meant it. In any event, going to Cambridge is not an illusion or a Utopia if you're clever, because it is realistically possible.

Well thank you, you've answerd my question. I think it in the same way you do, and the project I'm trying to realize shows how, as you said, it is realistically possible with all the due hard work behind it, despite the opinion of some people about it being a haphazardly thing.. and for that I'm trying to collect people's opinion about it.
So thank you for your answer !

P.S. I'm a she :smile:
Well thank you, you've answerd my question. I think it in the same way you do, and the project I'm trying to realize shows how, as you said, it is realistically possible with all the due hard work behind it, despite the opinion of some people about it being a haphazardly thing.. and for that I'm trying to collect people's opinion about it.
So thank you for your answer !

P.S. I'm a she :smile:

Glad I could help.
Hey guys,

All the remarks came back and all my subjects are now one scaled mark below the grade above ( :frown: ) bar English, which went down one UMS, so is two away and French which was a massive **** up. Unfortunately this most probably won't be enough for Cambridge so here's hoping Durham will take pity.

I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck in August and I hope you all get what you deserve :h:.
Original post by ILovePancakes
Hey guys,

All the remarks came back and all my subjects are now one scaled mark below the grade above ( :frown: ) bar English, which went down one UMS, so is two away and French which was a massive **** up. Unfortunately this most probably won't be enough for Cambridge so here's hoping Durham will take pity.

I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck in August and I hope you all get what you deserve :h:.

That's ridiculous, did you get any scripts back? And do you agree with remarks compared to them?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
That's ridiculous, did you get any scripts back? And do you agree with remarks compared to them?

I paid for my English and French scripts, but still haven't received them. My teachers disagreed with the marking of my ToK essay and EE, but they can't actually do anything unless moderation changes the mark by at least 15%. I didn't bother with physics or maths scripts as marking on them tends to be linear, although I went through each exam afterwards with the textbook and past mark schemes and didn't think I'd cocked it up as terribly as it seems. The main reason I didn't reach my grades was that my coursework went down as a result of moderation - if that hadn't happened I'd be ok in every subject bar maths, where it didn't change.
I paid for my English and French scripts, but still haven't received them. My teachers disagreed with the marking of my ToK essay and EE, but they can't actually do anything unless moderation changes the mark by at least 15%. I didn't bother with physics or maths scripts as marking on them tends to be linear, although I went through each exam afterwards with the textbook and past mark schemes and didn't think I'd cocked it up as terribly as it seems. The main reason I didn't reach my grades was that my coursework went down as a result of moderation - if that hadn't happened I'd be ok in every subject bar maths, where it didn't change.

Can you appeal of you think it is definitely wrong?

Wait, you can pay to see your actual paper?? Sorry that remarking didn't work out though :/ Also, they can't do anything about coursework unless the entire class got downgraded by 15%. So if you individually got moderated down by 15% or more, it is definitely worth emailing your unis and explaining the situation.
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Can you appeal of you think it is definitely wrong?

As far as I'm aware, only if there's a 15% disparity in marking.

Original post by ShellySpielberg
Wait, you can pay to see your actual paper?? Sorry that remarking didn't work out though :/ Also, they can't do anything about coursework unless the entire class got downgraded by 15%. So if you individually got moderated down by 15% or more, it is definitely worth emailing your unis and explaining the situation.
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, you can get your scripts back, although that's taking a very very long time. None of my coursework is 15%, but a few are 13%. One more mark and it would've reached the 15% sigh.

Yeah, you can get your scripts back, although that's taking a very very long time. None of my coursework is 15%, but a few are 13%. One more mark and it would've reached the 15% sigh.

Ugh, 13% is still a lot though, so defs include that in emails you send to unis!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did my exams last June and had my English and History papers go up by over 20 marks each, the former after a remark and the latter after an appeal to Edexcel. My understanding of the system was that you can appeal anything if you think that there was some procedural fault in the way it was marked, and then they'll go and do some investigation into it and get the chief examiner to review your script (that's how it was with Edexcel at least...)

So basically I remarked my history and it came back unchanged, so then we said something like 'yeah but you mark things on computers so that disadvantages people with terrible handwriting like me' to get a foot in the door and have someone senior look at my paper. They came back and said there was nothing wrong with they way they marked, but the chief examiner would review my paper and then it came back with an extra 20 or so marks...

Can you do something similar?
Random question for A-level people... how does remarking work for you guys? As far as I know, your results come out August 13, and the summer pool closes August 14... so how do they take your remarks into account? Sorry I'm just curious :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShellySpielberg
Random question for A-level people... how does remarking work for you guys? As far as I know, your results come out August 13, and the summer pool closes August 14... so how do they take your remarks into account? Sorry I'm just curious :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd need to get a priority remark which gets it back to you asap.

If you meet your offer before the 30th August, they have to take you in had they made an offer
Should we have had any information regarding accommodation by now? Or is it all sorted out after results day?
Original post by a123a
Should we have had any information regarding accommodation by now? Or is it all sorted out after results day?

After results day for Caius at least :smile:
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
After results day for Caius at least :smile:

Ok thank you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending