The Student Room Group

gcse maths c

Hello,

So I'm trying to enroll at a UK university (I'm From Libya) and it says:

you are required to demonstrate a competence in Mathematics equivalent to a pass at GCSE/GCE 'O' level in a mathematical subject at Grade C or above.

Now i've take physics and Statistics in College and maths in High school. Is this equivalent to what they're asking for?
And if not, what is the easiest way (and cheapest) to sit an exam in this subject only? preferably over the internet.

thank you.
Original post by freelibyansg
Hello,

you are required to demonstrate a competence in Mathematics equivalent to a pass at GCSE/GCE 'O' level in a mathematical subject at Grade C or above.

Now i've take physics and Statistics in College and maths in High school. Is this equivalent to what they're asking for?
And if not, what is the easiest way (and cheapest) to sit an exam in this subject only? preferably over the internet.

thank you.

'
Just look at the grading system given by your school/college to see if it's a GCSE or O level anyway. And I don't think we do O levels any more, they're A levels now and thats Level 3 so irrelevant.

I dont know if it needs to be GCSE specifically or just a level 2 maths grade C, it might be worth contacting the universities to see if you already qualify or your college to tell you how to sit these exams
Hello,

thank you.

O level is the old name for GCSE - you need to find out whethwer your exams are equivalent to this or not. Phone the uni and tell them what exams you have passed in maths.

You won't be able to take an online exam for this ...
Original post by All-rounder
'
Just look at the grading system given by your school/college to see if it's a GCSE or O level anyway. And I don't think we do O levels any more, they're A levels now and thats Level 3 so irrelevant.

I dont know if it needs to be GCSE specifically or just a level 2 maths grade C, it might be worth contacting the universities to see if you already qualify or your college to tell you how to sit these exams

All rounder you are wrong - O level is what existed before GCSE ...
Reply 4
Original post by All-rounder
'

There's quite a shortage of information around here, and no obvious grading system is published, this is a third world country after all.

However, i'm interested in knowing if i could sit an exam equivalent to what they are asking for online? or close to where I'm at right now. as I'm understanding I can take IGCSE or BTEC ?? are there any official websites that show where these exams are offered?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
O level is the old name for GCSE - you need to find out whethwer your exams are equivalent to this or not. Phone the uni and tell them what exams you have passed in maths.

You won't be able to take an online exam for this ...

I'm guessing this last resort is the only thing i'll be left with to solve this complex dilemma!

thank you.
I'm guessing this last resort is the only thing i'll be left with to solve this complex dilemma!

thank you.

GCSE is the exam we take at 16 and then we go on to A levels which are the level needed for uni entrance.

https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/2015-international-qualifications.pdf is this any help?
(edited 8 years ago)
All rounder you are wrong - O level is what existed before GCSE ...

Ahhh okay then, my mistake. Though it was replaced by the AS and A2
There's quite a shortage of information around here, and no obvious grading system is published, this is a third world country after all.

However, i'm interested in knowing if i could sit an exam equivalent to what they are asking for online? or close to where I'm at right now. as I'm understanding I can take IGCSE or BTEC ?? are there any official websites that show where these exams are offered?

I dont think BTEC's will work or IGCSE's as not any colleges accept the IGCSE's and even fewer Uni's...

You may be best of finding the websites for UK GCSE exam boards and contacting them of the 'Conatct Us' page. It's likely that they'll have the best advice for you, having dealt with this regularly
Reply 9
GCSE is the exam we take at 16 and then we go on to A levels which are the level needed for uni entrance.

https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/2015-international-qualifications.pdf is this any help?

No Libya. :|
No Libya. :|

Are there countries that do the same exams?
Are there countries that do the same exams?

thought of this already. We have a very unique system of high school.

is edexel the only company that offers IGCSE?
thought of this already. We have a very unique system of high school.

is edexel the only company that offers IGCSE?

Not many English schools do iGCSEs .. so no idea.

I googled 'equivalence of Libyan qualifications' and clearly some unis have dealt with this before ... so I'd contact the ones you are interested in.
Not many English schools do iGCSEs .. so no idea.

I googled 'equivalence of Libyan qualifications' and clearly some unis have dealt with this before ... so I'd contact the ones you are interested in.

thanks.
Take a look at this. If you can answer all of the questions marked "C" on there, you're sorted.
Hello,

thank you.

GCSE, IGCSE or GCE O level are equivalent qualifications and any would meet the requirement.
Although O levels were replaced by GCSE and have not existed in the UK for many years, other countries still awarded them and I think a few may still do.
The best advice you have received is to contact your target university and ask them if your current qualifications meet their entry requirements. If they have prior experience of candidates educated in your country they will be able to tell you. If not, there is a process to establish the equivalence of your qualifications but it can be expensive. Otherwise you may have to take a GCSE/IGCSE exam, which one would depend where you are. There would be no need to attend a course, just sit the exams as a private candidate. IGCSE can be taken internationally with the CIE or Edexcel examiner, certainly in Egypt, I'm unsure about Libya.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, useful link actually. However many things seem alien, it's been quite sometime since I've had a go at math!
Original post by gdunne42
GCSE, IGCSE or GCE O level are equivalent qualifications and any would meet the requirement.
Although O levels were replaced by GCSE and have not existed in the UK for many years, other countries still awarded them and I think a few may still do.
The best advice you have received is to contact your target university and ask them if your current qualifications meet their entry requirements. If they have prior experience of candidates educated in your country they will be able to tell you. If not, there is a process to establish the equivalence of your qualifications but it can be expensive. Otherwise you may have to take a GCSE/IGCSE exam, which one would depend where you are. There would be no need to attend a course, just sit the exams as a private candidate. IGCSE can be taken internationally with the CIE or Edexcel examiner, certainly in Egypt, I'm unsure about Libya.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for this, that's what i've figured so far. Could you please tell me were I should start if I wanted to see where I can sit an IGCSE in Libya? are edexcel doing those exclusively?
Thank you for this, that's what i've figured so far. Could you please tell me were I should start if I wanted to see where I can sit an IGCSE in Libya? are edexcel doing those exclusively?

Either Edexcel or CIE
It tends to be British Council offices that offer an exam service, I dont know what they could offer in Libya, you may want to contact them and explain your situation.
http://www.britishcouncil.ly/en

Quick Reply

Latest