The Student Room Group

Sikh and Hindu Interfaith relationships

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Jasaron
I'm saying that you need to find me a quote from the Guru Granth Sahib saying that inter-faith marriage is sinful. If no such quote exists, then the Akal Takt are just as knowledgeable on the matter as you or I. If such a quote exists, then I am incorrect in saying that inter-faith marriage isn't a sin.

Find a quote, or accept that you're wrong.

There are many quotes. just look them up.

find me a quote that says Interfaith marriages are allowed in Sikhism. then accept you are wrong my friend. you seem to be very sure that they are allowed. so find me a quote?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gt46d
There are many quotes. just look them up.

find me a quote that says Interfaith marriages are allowed in Sikhism. then accept you are wrong my friend.

No quotes exist, either for or against my points. However, read this from the Guru Granth Sahib:
“The Lord of man and beast is working in ALL; His presence is scattered everywhere; There is none else to be seen.”

If Waheguru works within us all, Sikhs and non-Sikhs, why can't a Sikh marry a non-Sikh? They are both blessed and loved by God; why would he disapprove of their matrimony?
Original post by gt46d
As a Punjabi Sikh male living in London, I have always wondered why we dont see more of these relationships happening. When there are large population of both Sikhs and Hindus in London.

I mean we have so much in common in terms of a rich cultural backgrounds ect that we should be proud of.
But it seems Sikhs and Hindus or shall we say Punjabi Sikhs and Gujarati Hindus will more likely date a person of another race altogether then with each other.This is ridiculous when we are the same people.

This is not right. we should be sticking together not marrying white or non Sikh or non Hindu people.
But its a shame that we are seeing many of our people marrying other races and religions.

why is it not right for us to marry white/non sikh/non hindus?

I don't think its fair for you to go around saying that certain people from certain backgrounds shouldn't mix. Relationships, love and marriage are personal things.
Reply 63
Original post by gt46d
Extremist extremist, extremist and militant Sikhs like you are the ones that cause all the trouble. why discriminate against Hindu festivals? yet you will marry a non sikh and probably celebrate their festivals??

Is that not a contradiction?

If I married a non-Sikh, I wouldn't celebrate their festivals before celebrating my own first. That was my point. That does not make me an 'extremist'. You're putting more importance on celebrating Hindu festivals rather than Sikh ones. You're saying I'm discriminating against Hindu festivals, but I'm saying you shouldn't celebrate any other faith festivals before your own faith and that goes for all faiths, not just Sikhism.

By definition, an 'extremist' is "a person who holds extreme political or religious views, especially one who advocates illegal, violent, or other extreme action." I am not advocating illegal, violent, or extreme action. I am simply saying celebrate Sikh festivals before other faiths' festivals.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by gt46d
You are not Jat first of all. There is no caste in Sikhism.

You are only Sikh!

well tell them that
Reply 65
Original post by Jasaron
No quotes exist, either for or against my points. However, read this from the Guru Granth Sahib:
“The Lord of man and beast is working in ALL; His presence is scattered everywhere; There is none else to be seen.”

If Waheguru works within us all, Sikhs and non-Sikhs, why can't a Sikh marry a non-Sikh? They are both blessed and loved by God; why would he disapprove of their matrimony?

Jasron, do you think we should take your word for it instead of the Akal Takt? Are you higher than the Akal Takt? Why don’t we just forget what the Akal Takt has to say even though they have the collective knowledge of all the Sikh experts and professionals is interoperating the holy Sikh scriptures. When we have Jasaron.

Thats right from now on let’s just listen to Jasaron as he believes that his tiny and insignificant mind is higher then the Akal Takt. Is that what you think all Sikhs should do? Listen to your views instead of Sikhs highest authority on Sikhism. somehow I dont think this will catch on

If all humans are equal then why do Sikhs preach not to marry outside their religion?A:

Sikhs preach to marry a Sikh because of greater compatibility. Sikhs still consider people from all religions equal. Everyone has a goal in life. If you have a similar goal as your partner, you will achieve that goal with a companion and with less obstacles. However, if you have a goal which varies from your spouse's goal, then you will experience lots of disagreement, arguments, and eventually a lot of obstacles to reach your goal. Sikhism preaches that the purpose of our life is to become One with God. One can achieve this goal by following Guru's teachings and the lifestyle shown by Sikh Gurus. If one marries a Sikh, they will have the same lifestyle and great compatibility. Husband and wife can help each other and walk hand in hand on the path shown by Sikh Gurus to achieve the goal together.Sikhs have a great respect for other religions. Sikhs consider all humans as equal. No one is shunned away from entering theGurdwara Sahib. Everyone eats Langar sitting at the same level on the ground signifying humbleness and equality. Sikhs are not to discriminate based on religion, class, culture, color, ethnicity, or gender. Meaning no one is denied rights because of their looks or which religion they belong to. However, when it comes to marriage, one has to find a compatible match with similar values and beliefs.This does not mean a Christian, Hindu, or a Muslim is not good enough for a Sikh. The belief system practiced by some Christian, Hindus, and Muslim is not compatible with Sikhism. Sikhs with great respect disagree with some beliefs and practices followed by some religions.Sikh Gurus' teachings are logical, practical, and moral. One who believes in them and follows them is known as a Sikh. Since the purpose of human life is to become One with God. We should love God, Meditate on Him, and live a lifestyle shown by Sikh Gurus to keep ourselves focused to meet God. Marrying a Sikh makes us stronger and much more focused to achieve this goal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by drsahib101
why is it not right for us to marry white/non sikh/non hindus?

I don't think its fair for you to go around saying that certain people from certain backgrounds shouldn't mix. Relationships, love and marriage are personal things.

Well I dont think its fair that you should tell Sikhs who believe they should stick to their own faith and are practicing their religion to the best of their abiity that they should marry anyone and everyone? Why should you dictate who they should be able to marry?

If you believe that yourself and your children should be allowed to marry non Sikhs including white/muslim ect then by all means go ahead with your beliefs and live your life that way. But do not tell other Sikhs that they should marry non Sikhs When they do not want to. You have no right and it is offensive and disrespectful!

You are actually accusing me of something but at the same time you are saying the same thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 67
Nothing wrong with Sikh/Hindu intermarriages. Better that than some of the alternatives.
Reply 68
Original post by kaykayM
If I married a non-Sikh, I wouldn't celebrate their festivals before celebrating my own first. That was my point. That does not make me an 'extremist'. You're putting more importance on celebrating Hindu festivals rather than Sikh ones. You're saying I'm discriminating against Hindu festivals, but I'm saying you shouldn't celebrate any other faith festivals before your own faith and that goes for all faiths, not just Sikhism.

By definition, an 'extremist' is "a person who holds extreme political or religious views, especially one who advocates illegal, violent, or other extreme action." I am not advocating illegal, violent, or extreme action. I am simply saying celebrate Sikh festivals before other faiths' festivals.

So can we celebrate Hindu festivals at all or should they all be banned as we are Sikh?
Original post by gt46d
A LONG, COPY-AND-PASTED PARAGRAPH, CONTAINING NO QUOTES FROM THE GURU GRANTH SAHIB

Do you worship Waheguru and follow the teaching of the eleven Gurus, or do you worship the Akal Takt?

You asked me to find you a quote from the GGS to support my viewpoint, and I did. Rather than confront my evidence, you opt to ignore it, instead insulting me.

Original post by gt46d
Jasaron as he believes that his tiny and insignificant mind

This is funny. I'm one of the most intelligent people you'll ever have the utter displeasure of debating with. Don't insult me.

Original post by gt46d
Jasron, do you think we should take your word for it instead of the Akal Takt? Are you higher than the Akal Takt? Why don’t we just forget what the Akal Takt has to say even though they have the collective knowledge of all the Sikh experts and professionals is interoperating the holy Sikh scriptures. When we have Jasaron.

I've taken a quote that was written by a Guru. How am I making up my own ideas? I've only selected a passage that was written a few centuries ago in the HIGHEST authority on Sikhism. I'm not claiming authority: I'm directing you towards proof, and you've chosen to stay a bigot and ignore it.

I'll say it again:

Answer the question, with proof from the Guru Granth Sahib, and you may be appear as less of a moron and more of the civilised, reasonable individual that I'm sure you are.
Otherwise, I'm going to stop posting. Debates need two participants; not one making rational arguments and the other completely ignoring them.

EDIT:
Original post by gt46d
As a Sikh I personally feel every religion will lead to God, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism ect. As these religions live peacefully side by side.

If all of these religions lead to God, why can't an inter-faith couple be joined in matrimony to embark on their journey of enlightenment together?

Original post by gt46d
So can we celebrate Hindu festivals at all or should they all be banned as we are Sikh?

If you read what the girl was writing, you'd have an answer to your question.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gt46d
Well I dont think its fair that you should tell Sikhs who believe they should stick to their own faith and are practicing their religion to the best of their abiity that they should marry anyone and everyone? Why should you dictate who they should be able to marry?

If you believe that yourself and your children should be allowed to marry non Sikhs including white/muslim ect then by all means go ahead with your beliefs and live your life that way. But do not tell other Sikhs that they should marry non Sikhs When they do not want to. You have no right and it is offensive and disrespectful!

You are actually accusing me of something but at the same time you are saying the same thing.

Now now paji youve got the wrong end of the stick. All im saying is these choices are personal. Im not telling anyone to marry only their own nor am i telling them to marry people out of their religion or ethnicity. All im saying is that there is pro-choice. People can do what they feel. I did not say Sikhs should marry non Sikhs, youre twisting my words here. If you want to marry within your religion or whatever thats cool, thats your choice no one is judging you. What im saying is that ita unfair to judge someone that isnt doing the samw as you.

The Granth itself states that all people are equal.
Reply 71
Original post by Jasaron
Do you worship Waheguru and follow the teaching of the eleven Gurus, or do you worship the Akal Takt?

You asked me to find you a quote from the GGS to support my viewpoint, and I did. Rather than confront my evidence, you opt to ignore it, instead insulting me.

This is funny. I'm one of the most intelligent people you'll ever have the utter displeasure of debating with. Don't insult me.

People ilke you who live your life of forums where you have noting better to do. dont make me laugh. I unlike you have a life outside of the internet and so dont have the time to come on here and reply. Infact this will be my last post on this topic as people like you are not worth engwe are going around in circles. I stand and will always stand by my post. I guess we we will have to agree to disagree.

I'll say it again:

Answer the question, with proof from the Guru Granth Sahib, and you may be appear as less of a moron and more of the civilised, reasonable individual that I'm sure you are.
Otherwise, I'm going to stop posting. Debates need two participants; not one making rational arguments and the other completely ignoring them.

EDIT:

If all of these religions lead to God, why can't an inter-faith couple be joined in matrimony to embark on their journey of enlightenment together?

As I said live your life the way you want. and I will live mine how I want.

If you read what the girl was writing, you'd have an answer to your question.

I just posted my reasons for why its best to stick with your own faith. but you have ignored it as you know it makes sence. But If you want to have a mixed marriage with anyone and let your kids do the same then go ahead I am not stopping you. But I do not agree with it and I am entitled to my opinion.

People ilke you who live your life of forums where you have noting better to do. dont make me laugh. I unlike you have a life outside of the internet and so dont have the time to come on here and reply to you nonsence posts. Infact this will be my last post on this top.. We are going around in circles. I stand and will always stand by my topic. I guess we we will have to agree to disagree. I am stubborn like that I am afraid. :u:

There is a saying dont feed the troll. I will leave it at that. I dont want to ask your opinion on same sex marriages are but Im pretty sure I know the answer. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gt46d
I unlike you have a life outside of the internet and so dont have the time to come on here and reply.

"Doesn't have time to reply"

*replies*

lmao
Reply 73
Original post by drsahib101
Now now paji youve got the wrong end of the stick. All im saying is these choices are personal. Im not telling anyone to marry only their own nor am i telling them to marry people out of their religion or ethnicity. All im saying is that there is pro-choice. People can do what they feel. I did not say Sikhs should marry non Sikhs, youre twisting my words here. If you want to marry within your religion or whatever thats cool, thats your choice no one is judging you. What im saying is that ita unfair to judge someone that isnt doing the samw as you.

The Granth itself states that all people are equal.

Well I am Sikh and I will have my opinion on other Sikhs that dont follow the Holy scriptures of our Guru and still call themselves Sikh. If you want to do everything against Sikhism that is your choice but dont call yourself Sikh.

Marraiges outside religion are a big no no. Thats my opinion and thats the way it will remain. people like you who probably come from families where you have intermarried with white/black ect . you just stick to what you know and I will stick to what I know.

WJKK WJKF
Reply 74
Yes as a Hindu Gujarati, No problem with Hindus and Sikhs marry each other since they have a lot in common culturally, and many people of either group don't have a problem it.
Original post by gt46d
Well I am Sikh and I will have my opinion on other Sikhs that dont follow the Holy scriptures of our Guru and still call themselves Sikh. If you want to do everything against Sikhism that is your choice but dont call yourself Sikh.

Marraiges outside religion are a big no no. Thats my opinion and thats the way it will remain. people like you who probably come from families where you have intermarried with white/black ect . you just stick to what you know and I will stick to what I know.

WJKK WJKF

Yes keep to what you know. Youre very good at assuming things that are wrong. You have no idea what family or upbringing ive had. Neither do I of yours. All im saying is marriage is personal. Sikh or not everyone is a person before they are a follower of religion. Waheguru to you too.
Reply 76
Original post by skb95
well tell them that

How can i do that , i dont know them :s-smilie:
Reply 77
Original post by Jasaron
"Doesn't have time to reply"

*replies*

lmao

Seems like you always have to have the last comment. lol
Reply 78
Original post by slade p
Yes as a Hindu Gujarati, No problem with Hindus and Sikhs marry each other since they have a lot in common culturally, and many people of either group don't have a problem it.

Yep that is exactly my point.
This topic is not just about marriages/relationships but also about Sikh Hindu unity that is lacking to a certain degree.I am not saying we don't have unity at all, but but it could do with being more stronger.

A way to achieve this is maybe have cultural events or occasions when Sikhs and Hindus get together as a group. At the moment I attend one event which brings both religions together and I have made many new friends.
I also go to my local Mandir on special occasions like Desera. I am Sikh but have no issue with going Mandir and partaking in the religious ceremonies.
(edited 8 years ago)
I see a lot of hindu sikh marriages and I live in London (in fact one of my aunties married a hindu man), but I also don't see the problem with marrying outside of race either. We're all human at the end of the day :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending