The Student Room Group

TSA doing 5/3/1.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSA
Sure but its got to be conventional. No cheaty cheaty sumo here

Sure, I'm expecting progress to slow as I get deeper into the cut but little bit of competition is always good.

Standard GBPF/IPF rules and video must be posted to confirm okay?

Sounds good to me. Im on 5/3/1 as well and behind you currently. I am however bulking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobJ93
Sounds good to me. Im on 5/3/1 as well and behind you currently. I am however bulking

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not on 531 anymore. Started Canditos programme just finished the first cycle. Need to change the title of the thread to something like "TSA lifts".
But I am going to take elements from 531 and change it slightly for my bench as that was working because I'm not progressing on Canditos programme in my bench.

What variation are you doing? BBB?
Original post by TSA
I'm not on 531 anymore. Started Canditos programme just finished the first cycle. Need to change the title of the thread to something like "TSA lifts".
But I am going to take elements from 531 and change it slightly for my bench as that was working because I'm not progressing on Canditos programme in my bench.

What variation are you doing? BBB?

How are you finding it?

Just running it for my deadlifts with some rows and glute work as assistance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 223
I'm curious about how you are finding canditto too. I bombed on it a bit but on reflection I was just pre-injury so that might have been as much to do with it. In theory I like it but at the time it seemed too ambitious. Bench is the only lift I really care about and that's where my problem was so maybe it's a thing with the programme
Original post by RobJ93
How are you finding it?

Just running it for my deadlifts with some rows and glute work as assistance

Posted from TSR Mobile

The first two weeks where you focus on volume and hypertrophy are very difficult. I do think that's because I've never really trained with very high volume with short breaks in between. Like drop sets with 60/90seconds rest is nowhere near enough time for me to recover and I think in the second week after one of the squat sessions I ran outside and threw up and had to stop the workout there. But from about week 3 onwards where the program starts to focus on intensity and starts to lower the volume and increase intensity it felt much easier well not easier but the training just felt more comfortable. I think it might be because I've never limited the amount of rest I can have between sets, I've always rested until I was ready again for the next set so timed rests was a bit of a shock.

What are you doing for the other lifts and how are you finding 531 so far. I miss the fact where I could go in and focus on one main lift a day like on 531. Like just going in with the mindset of "it's deadlift day, gonna hit my last set for AMRAP and I'm done" really helped me kind of push at the end of the workout. The AMRAPs were always fun to do too.
Original post by BKS
I'm curious about how you are finding canditto too. I bombed on it a bit but on reflection I was just pre-injury so that might have been as much to do with it. In theory I like it but at the time it seemed too ambitious. Bench is the only lift I really care about and that's where my problem was so maybe it's a thing with the programme

From what I've read on other forums and watching Candito competing. The program doesn't do too well to help bench well not mine anyway and other people have had similar problems. In hindsight I think it would have been better not to have read up on how ****ty the bench part of the program was because that might have affected my performance mentally. Going in with an attitude of "well the bench programming is **** how am I going to make progress" isn't exactly the type of mentality that will help me break plateaus.
Reply 226
Original post by TSA
From what I've read on other forums and watching Candito competing. The program doesn't do too well to help bench well not mine anyway and other people have had similar problems. In hindsight I think it would have been better not to have read up on how ****ty the bench part of the program was because that might have affected my performance mentally. Going in with an attitude of "well the bench programming is **** how am I going to make progress" isn't exactly the type of mentality that will help me break plateaus.

FWIW I never read up on it enough to know bench is badly rated and it went bad for me, I just stopped being able to get all the reps to the point I gave up on it without completing the cycle

I did think it had potential with a bit tweaking for bench but if pretty much everyone bombs with it then perhaps not
Original post by TSA
Sure but its got to be conventional. No cheaty cheaty sumo here

Sure, I'm expecting progress to slow as I get deeper into the cut but little bit of competition is always good.

Standard GBPF/IPF rules and video must be posted to confirm okay?

I'd it's standard ipf rules then I'll be sumoing all up in this bitch.

Tbh I'm getting 200 next weekend so it's not a fair contest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
I'd it's standard ipf rules then I'll be sumoing all up in this bitch.

Tbh I'm getting 200 next weekend so it's not a fair contest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:colonhash: Sumo DL
Original post by TSA
:colonhash: Sumo DL

Oh it's cheating completely I agree on a moral level but not on a technicalities of the rules level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup you did say standard IPF rules after all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also pulling sumo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobJ93
Also pulling sumo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will just have to beat you whilst pulling conv. Will make the win so much sweeter :u:
That feel when I've pulled 220kg conventional before. Before injuring myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
That feel when I've pulled 220kg conventional before. Before injuring myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you get injured? What weight were you at when you pulled 220 and what weight are you at now?
Original post by TSA
How did you get injured? What weight were you at when you pulled 220 and what weight are you at now?

Conventional deadlifting with terrible very rounded lower back fornm. Not tight etc etc.

I was ~83 ish i think. . 84 now.
Went straight onto new cycle without deloading or testing 1rm because I'll be having a mock meet with some friends to test my 1rm in September and didn't feel it was necessary.

Weight: 83.0kg (post workout and breakfast) will be tracking at a standard time, first thing in the morning from tomorrow. Goal is 73.9kg by mid November as that's my next meet.

Diet: 2000calories (incl. 180g protein)

Todays workout:

SQ: 127.5 x 6 6 6 6 (First two sets felt comfortable not easy but what you'd expect from 80%, last two sets were difficult, especially last two reps on last set but grinded them out)
DL: 155 x 6 6 (First set felt reasonable second set felt heavy, form was okay could have been better need to remember to squeeze lats when setting up)

Legs feel a bit sore but happy with that workout.
(edited 8 years ago)
You've been straight up beasting it lately. What was the turning point for you? I remember back when you were plateauing for ages and were v demotivated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squirb
You've been straight up beasting it lately. What was the turning point for you? I remember back when you were plateauing for ages and were v demotivated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just generally feeling better in life. As cringeworthy as that sounds. Managed to get a few friends onboard so now have some people to discuss lifting with, came to the acceptance that sometimes **** happens and you've just got to rise above it. Also having much less things to focus on, currently revising for delayed sits in August so I'm literally just eating, sleeping, training and revising. Hoping this mentality will travel through to my studies next year as I want a first.
Just taking a much more positive outlook on life and training. Recently broke up with my girlfriend so that my have something to do with it too.

Bench is still kind of crap but made some adjustment to it hoping it will work.

Bench program is
Workout A
3x5 normal grip bench
3x5 close grip bench

Workout B
i) 65%/75%/85% 5 reps
ii)70%/80%/90% 3 reps
iii)75%/85%/95% 531 reps
Accessory work focussing on triceps

Alternate between workout A and B, so will look like
Workout A
Workout B i
Workout A
Workout B ii

Essentially what I was doing on Wenders 531 after I made adjustments that were working for me
(edited 8 years ago)
That's good. I need to take a leaf out of your book. Glad you're doing well now though, it's good to see!

Looks good, close grip bench helped me a lot last summer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest