The Student Room Group

What type of bag is appropriate for Sixth Form?

Hi I was wondering what type of bags are suitable for Sixth Form for a male student. I don't want to turn up to Sixth Form with a Nike bag and look like and idiot and I prepared to spend a big extra ££ for a bussiness like bag if thats what people carry to Sixth Form.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bobthebuilder99
Hi I was wondering what type of bags are suitable for Sixth Form for a male student. I don't want to turn up to Sixth Form with a Nike bag and look like and idiot and I prepared to spend a big extra ££ for a bussiness like bag if thats what people carry to Sixth Form.

Thanks in advance.

Probably depends on your sixth form. The sixth form not far from me has a dress code and boys often carry business like bags because they wear suits, but my sixth form has no uniform and the boys wear backpacks.
To be honest , noone gives a crap how your bag looks(unless it is really bad).

Just get a comfortable , pretty large(to fit in a good amount of folders/books) and sturdy bag.

Think ablut functionality more than fashion when you buy it and make sure it is pretty strong because you will need to carry a lot of books and folders in because you will get lots of work in college.
It doesn't really matter because the weight of the stuff you carry into sixth form disintegrates your bag within two terms anyway.

Thanks in advance.

IKEA backpacks are good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unless there's a dress code just take whatever's most convenient for you. I've been using the same Jeep backpack for years - not exactly a fashion statement but it works.
Don't worry about what it looks like, but get a backpack. They're best for carrying heavy books.
I went for a satchel-style brown bag that lasted me the full 2 years.

It quickly became infamously known as the 'man bag' which amused many! But hey, it was very handy for carrying small folders, though you may find that one of your deltoids becomes notably stronger than the other...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Most of the boys in my 6th form go for backpacks, and then a few have messenger types or sports bags. We have a uniform though, so it isn't like business wear or casual clothes. And I see all sorts of brands, a Nike one wouldn't look out of place if that is what you are thinking of going for.
We don't carry bags to sixth form
Original post by quentinhamilton
We don't carry bags to sixth form

How come? What do you put books and folders in?
Original post by RiahDawson
How come? What do you put books and folders in?

We only carry folders (sometimes books) to lessons - same with the lower years

Thanks in advance.

It depends what you're carrying- some people carry surprisingly little in their bag, they might have their textbooks (or leave these in their locker) one folder divided into four different parts where they put school work for each of their subjects and leave it at home at the end of the week, which would mean that a satchel or smaller rucksack would be fine (these are usually the trendy ones). If you want to carry your folders around and you don't use a locker, then you might want a big rucksack. At a lot of the schools I've been to, people tend to have a variety of bags, so I've never had negative comments about my bag (I've had big rucksacks and trendier ones). Go with what makes you feel comfortable!
We only carry folders (sometimes books) to lessons - same with the lower years

Thats exactly why you need a bag:confused:A Level folders tend to the be very big(full of lots of paper pull work) and I carried lots of books and folders plus a few other things like stationery and a calculator.

For AS I carried a very large sports bag and for A2 for most of the year I carried a large suitcase but 2 suitcases broke due to me carrying it around all the time, so I decided to carry 3 normal sized backpacks instead for the rest of the year.
Original post by Dalek1099
Thats exactly why you need a bag:confused:A Level folders tend to the be very big(full of lots of paper pull work) and I carried lots of books and folders plus a few other things like stationery and a calculator.

For AS I carried a very large sports bag and for A2 for most of the year I carried a large suitcase but 2 suitcases broke due to me carrying it around all the time, so I decided to carry 3 normal sized backpacks instead for the rest of the year.

It's a school policy. We aren't allowed to bring bags which is totally understandable because it is a boarding school since we go back to collect things
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Probably depends on your sixth form. The sixth form not far from me has a dress code and boys often carry business like bags because they wear suits, but my sixth form has no uniform and the boys wear backpacks.

lol thats terrible. I would not conform if I went there.

You made too much notes.
It's a school policy. We aren't allowed to bring bags which is totally understandable because it is a boarding school since we go back to collect things

What sort of strict college do you go to?-what is the big problem with bags?What did you do to carry work and folders to lessons, when weather was really bad(eg. rain,snow etc).When I went to summer/easter school and school trips I brought bags to carry everything.

That explains the name Quentin. What boarding school? A decent one?
What sort of strict college do you go to?-what is the big problem with bags?What did you do to carry work and folders to lessons, when weather was really bad(eg. rain,snow etc).When I went to summer/easter school and school trips I brought bags to carry everything.

The rules with bags doesn't change regardless of the weather. The only bag we have during a school day is a gym bag (if we're doing sports).
However, we obviously have bags for trips as you'd imagine.

Quick Reply

Latest