The Student Room Group

IB or A Levels??? HELP!

Hi there, I'm now in the situation where I need to think seriously about such choices, and my school offers both.

So, do you think I should do IB or A levels?

If I were to do IB I would do English, History, Latin HL and Spanish, Chemistry, Maths SL. I don't really want to do Chemistry and Maths though, it would just be a part of the course. I am still predicted A*s at GCSE in those subjects.

If I did A level then I would do History, English, Latin and Spanish (With the option to do extended essay on top of these) and I would also be doing Gold DofE.

I want to study History and Ancient History at uni, so what do you think my best option would be?
Original post by BuzzyB73
Hi there, I'm now in the situation where I need to think seriously about such choices, and my school offers both.

If I were to do IB I would do English, History, Latin HL and Spanish, Chemistry, Maths SL. I don't really want to do Chemistry and Maths though, it would just be a part of the course. I am still predicted A*s at GCSE in those subjects.

If I did A level then I would do History, English, Latin and Spanish (With the option to do extended essay on top of these) and I would also be doing Gold DofE.

I want to study History and Ancient History at uni, so what do you think my best option would be?

IB is good for keeping your options open if you dont know what you want to do, if you are set on what you want to do at university then A levels are a far better option.
Original post by BuzzyB73

As has already been said, IB can be a little better for keeping your options open as you study more subjects, however universities mainly look at your 3 HL subjects and base base offers on them - i.e. if you suddenly changed your mind and wanted to do a subject for which chem and maths would be required, having them at SL would not be enough anyway. IB is good for people who are all-rounders and would want to do more/a wider range of subjects than A-levels would allow and who are equally interested in sciences and humanities.

By the sound of it you prefer the humanities/arts to the sciences/maths, so it sounds like A-levels might be a better fit for you as you don't really want to do chem and maths and they are not required by the degrees you are interested in.
Having done both IB and A Levels, the best way to make a decision I've found is to ask yourself whether you would study a subject for A Level. You've already stated that you don't really what to Chemistry and Maths and in the IB, you need to actually like the subjects prior to starting (in my experience at least), otherwise you are absolutely going to hate them by the end and lack the motivation to study for them. Also you seem pretty set on that you want to study a humanities at university so a levels seem the natural fit as the IB is more for keeping options open :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest