The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TunaTunnel
I was looking at Cambridge, I'll have an MPhys from Durham at 2:2/2:1 borderline with 3-4 weeks experience in 10 different schools (so far this amount want me) and 3 volunteer projects with school children. The experience side I'll be okay, im just worried if I get a 2:2 it might hinder me, even if I have a masters from a good uni.

I've trained at the IoE with people who've got 2.2s, and I would imagine it's similar for Cambridge (my offer also only required a 2.2 from Warwick). Your experience sounds good - try to be teaching a few lessons if they'll let you, it gives you something to talk about at interview.

As long as you have a degree, classification is far less important than you may think - what matters more is that you have the skills to use to become a great teacher: solid subject knowledge, explanation skills and determination (off the top of my head).
I was looking at Cambridge, I'll have an MPhys from Durham at 2:2/2:1 borderline with 3-4 weeks experience in 10 different schools (so far this amount want me) and 3 volunteer projects with school children. The experience side I'll be okay, im just worried if I get a 2:2 it might hinder me, even if I have a masters from a good uni.

If you're a physicist, the vice-chancellor will probably roll a red carpet down the road and drive in his Rolls Royce to come and pick you up for the interview. I wouldn't worry.
Original post by Airfairy

Original post by xjay1234
What is the pass mark for a PGCE written assignment?

Depends on the university - there is a difference between a PCE and a PGCE. At my university it was 40 for a level six pass and 50 for a level 7 pass. If you achieved 40 out of 60 masters credits (2 out of 3 essays at 50+) then you receive a PGCE. If you achieved 40-49 in 2 or more essays, you would receive a PCE.
Original post by tory88
I've trained at the IoE with people who've got 2.2s, and I would imagine it's similar for Cambridge (my offer also only required a 2.2 from Warwick). Your experience sounds good - try to be teaching a few lessons if they'll let you, it gives you something to talk about at interview.

As long as you have a degree, classification is far less important than you may think - what matters more is that you have the skills to use to become a great teacher: solid subject knowledge, explanation skills and determination (off the top of my head).

Thats really reassuring to hear, asking to teach a lesson, or portion is an amazing idea thanks! Im trying to get primary school experience (although im applying for secondary, broad experience would be good) but no primary schools are replying :frown:
Original post by Samus2
Depends on the university - there is a difference between a PCE and a PGCE. At my university it was 40 for a level six pass and 50 for a level 7 pass. If you achieved 40 out of 60 masters credits (2 out of 3 essays at 50+) then you receive a PGCE. If you achieved 40-49 in 2 or more essays, you would receive a PCE.

Yeah, I was assuming they meant on a standard PGCE at masters level since most are. It really annoys me how much disparity there is between courses in this sense because if I don't pass my next two essays I only get QTS, not even PCE even though I am like 4 marks off 50. Yet if I went to another university in the area I'd get something at least. It's really frustrating. And you only need 40 credits for a PGCE, we need 60. Surely that type of thing should be universal. Gaaaaah. I have no trust in my university whatsoever to guide me through my resubmissions so I'm getting ready for the worst :frown:
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If you're a physicist, the vice-chancellor will probably roll a red carpet down the road and drive in his Rolls Royce to come and pick you up for the interview. I wouldn't worry.

I loved reading this!
Original post by Juichiro
I loved reading this!

It's what an admissions tutor from Brunel once said to me in the context of their Paper Science course being about to close as the result of nobody ever applying for it.
Hello lovely teachers :smile:

I will be starting my PGCE in September and would like to ask a few questions, if that's ok?

1, Which type of folders/files have you found most useful?
2, Has anyone found a planner/diary that they have found to be super special :wink:
3, Have you any other tips for stationary? Is there anything you have found invaluable throughout the year?

Oooh one more question: have any of you needed to refer back to any of your undergrad work?

I have skim read a lot of pages in this thread and I don't 'think' I have seen anything that has put me off :wink: My main concern is being able to get home at a reasonable hour because I have 4 children, 2 of them will be in after-school club. They are booked in until 6pm but I am really hoping I can collect them early each day.

I'm starting to get excited about September (and a teeny bit nervous).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Airfairy
Yeah, I was assuming they meant on a standard PGCE at masters level since most are. It really annoys me how much disparity there is between courses in this sense because if I don't pass my next two essays I only get QTS, not even PCE even though I am like 4 marks off 50. Yet if I went to another university in the area I'd get something at least. It's really frustrating. And you only need 40 credits for a PGCE, we need 60. Surely that type of thing should be universal. Gaaaaah. I have no trust in my university whatsoever to guide me through my resubmissions so I'm getting ready for the worst :frown:

I really don't understand why it isn't standardised it's really unfair that there's such a disparity between providers.
Original post by redmel1621

I will be starting my PGCE in September and would like to ask a few questions, if that's ok?

2, Has anyone found a planner/diary that they have found to be super special :wink:
3, Have you any other tips for stationary? Is there anything you have found invaluable throughout the year?

Oooh one more question: have any of you needed to refer back to any of your undergrad work?

I have skim read a lot of pages in this thread and I don't 'think' I have seen anything that has put me off :wink: My main concern is being able to get home at a reasonable hour because I have 4 children, 2 of them will be in after-school club. They are booked in until 6pm but I am really hoping I can collect them early each day.

A4 level arch files will become your best friend! I filled up about 5 of them over the course of the year :')
Depending on your school, they may give you a planner - some do, some don't. Both of my placements gave me a planner :smile:
Highlighters, post it notes and those sticky tab things! They've been the three most useful things. I also marked in bright felt tips - it was really easy to see for the pupils and it was also really obvious to my department/parents/slt that I had marked their books.

I haven't needed to refer back to it as such - because I'm history though, I ended up going through some old essays and picking up quotes to add to my lessons from various sources
Thats really reassuring to hear, asking to teach a lesson, or portion is an amazing idea thanks! Im trying to get primary school experience (although im applying for secondary, broad experience would be good) but no primary schools are replying :frown:

Primary can be tough, especially at this time of year. Most courses ask for you to complete primary school experience once accepted onto the PGCE anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much. My advice is to start asking for summer experience around christmas time - I started around March and it took a lot of schools before I was accepted for primary school experience. If you're in the area still, picking the primary school you attended will make it more likely they accept you.

1. I used a normal A4 folder for each class I taught, so I could stick all the resources (if pupils claimed to not have them) inside and a seating plan on the back so I would always have it in the classroom. This served me well and made everything really easy to organise. I also used 2 A4 Lever Arch files to store my old teaching things - lesson plans, resources etc. - once I'd finished a term, and for the notes/evidence I'd collected on the course. Lots of people do things in all sorts of ways, so it's about finding something that works for you and sticking with it.

2. I would recommend an A4 planner, as A5 just doesn't have enough space to write down any details at all, particularly is you also want to use it as a markbook (you will). As stated above, some schools issue planners to trainees, and some don't. Once again a lot is personal preference, but I haven't found one I've massively liked to will be watching for responses too.

3. For me, red pens and whiteboard markers have been a must - I lose so many of them that it's always nice to have a supply in a pocket/bag somewhere. If you're that sort of teacher, stickers/stamps can be a nice touch (it's worked very well for some of my peers). One thing I really wish I had is a planner that displayed the weeks to put on my desk, just so I could make little to-do lists and remember all the non-teaching things I had to do.

I used some of my undergraduate work to talk to pupils about what it's like to study physics at university, but not really beyond that.

You shouldn't have to worry about getting out at a suitable time - most teaching work can be done at home provided you're organised.

Nearly all primary schools will have either just finished for the summer or are about to, and will be too busy to respond at the moment. I'm sure something will turn up, but this is not the best time to be asking, to be honest.
Original post by tory88

1. I used a normal A4 folder for each class I taught, so I could stick all the resources (if pupils claimed to not have them) inside and a seating plan on the back so I would always have it in the classroom. This served me well and made everything really easy to organise. I also used 2 A4 Lever Arch files to store my old teaching things - lesson plans, resources etc. - once I'd finished a term, and for the notes/evidence I'd collected on the course. Lots of people do things in all sorts of ways, so it's about finding something that works for you and sticking with it.

2. I would recommend an A4 planner, as A5 just doesn't have enough space to write down any details at all, particularly is you also want to use it as a markbook (you will). As stated above, some schools issue planners to trainees, and some don't. Once again a lot is personal preference, but I haven't found one I've massively liked to will be watching for responses too.

3. For me, red pens and whiteboard markers have been a must - I lose so many of them that it's always nice to have a supply in a pocket/bag somewhere. If you're that sort of teacher, stickers/stamps can be a nice touch (it's worked very well for some of my peers). One thing I really wish I had is a planner that displayed the weeks to put on my desk, just so I could make little to-do lists and remember all the non-teaching things I had to do.

I used some of my undergraduate work to talk to pupils about what it's like to study physics at university, but not really beyond that.

You shouldn't have to worry about getting out at a suitable time - most teaching work can be done at home provided you're organised.

Thank you for your reply. I will stock up on whiteboard pens :smile: I am glad you said about the A4 planner as I had been looking around but always at A5 size!!
Original post by Samus2
A4 level arch files will become your best friend! I filled up about 5 of them over the course of the year :')
Depending on your school, they may give you a planner - some do, some don't. Both of my placements gave me a planner :smile:
Highlighters, post it notes and those sticky tab things! They've been the three most useful things. I also marked in bright felt tips - it was really easy to see for the pupils and it was also really obvious to my department/parents/slt that I had marked their books.

I haven't needed to refer back to it as such - because I'm history though, I ended up going through some old essays and picking up quotes to add to my lessons from various sources

Thanks - I will add those items to my 'must buy' list.
I just can't see myself using my undergrad stuff and I am trying to seriously organise and de-clutter the house, ready for the hectic year ahead. I think I will take a chance and just get rid of it all.
Oh another question - sorry!

Is it easier/better to use plastic wallets in the files or just hole punch and stick it in?

Can you tell I'm bored now I've finished uni :wink:
I am going to get hold of a couple of the texts to read through: Oliver Twist; A Christmas Carol; Jekyll and Hyde; Of Mice and Men; and Blood Brothers seem to be regular texts used in schools.

Is it easier/better to use plastic wallets in the files or just hole punch and stick it in?

I am going to get hold of a couple of the texts to read through: Oliver Twist; A Christmas Carol; Jekyll and Hyde; Of Mice and Men; and Blood Brothers seem to be regular texts used in schools.

I'd say just hole punch and stick it in! Our tutor stated that she hated plastic wallets when we were doing our final portfolio :smile:
Original post by Samus2
I'd say just hole punch and stick it in! Our tutor stated that she hated plastic wallets when we were doing our final portfolio :smile:

Excellent. Thank you :biggrin:

I love plastic wallets for everything as I like to keep stuff an it keeps better, plus stops corners curling and holes ripping. But it really is personal preference... They seem to be a love hate thing for lots of people. One of my tutors hates them!

I will warn you that if you use them, you will get through a lot... I think I used about 500?

For planners think about how you're going to use it too. I got a page to day diary as I thought I'd need the room,but actually ended up not writing many details in it and then not using it, as I didn't like not being able to see a weekly overview. Also I would never personally have an A4 as I wouldn't want to carry it around. But if you want to be pretty comprehensive with what you include then you would certainly need an A4 day to page one.

Afraid I can't comment on the mark sheets thing as I was early years. I used computerised/printed mark sheets for my KS1 things, and didn't use them much tbh, and for early years its all about individual learning records so mark sheets are not a thing!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tory88
Primary can be tough, especially at this time of year. Most courses ask for you to complete primary school experience once accepted onto the PGCE anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much. My advice is to start asking for summer experience around christmas time - I started around March and it took a lot of schools before I was accepted for primary school experience. If you're in the area still, picking the primary school you attended will make it more likely they accept you.

Have you seen the Erin condren teacher planner? Expensive but I always thought it looked amazing, especially if you use it for organising everything like marks etc as you do.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
I love plastic wallets for everything as I like to keep stuff an it keeps better, plus stops corners curling and holes ripping. But it really is personal preference... They seem to be a love hate thing for lots of people. One of my tutors hates them!

I will warn you that if you use them, you will get through a lot... I think I used about 500?

For planners think about how you're going to use it too. I got a page to day diary as I thought I'd need the room,but actually ended up not writing many details in it and then not using it, as I didn't like not being able to see a weekly overview. Also I would never personally have an A4 as I wouldn't want to carry it around. But if you want to be pretty comprehensive with what you include then you would certainly need an A4 day to page one.

Afraid I can't comment on the mark sheets thing as I was early years. I used computerised/printed mark sheets for my KS1 things, and didn't use them much tbh, and for early years its all about individual learning records so mark sheets are not a thing!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think for resources for class I would be better having a file with plastic wallets. I wouldn't want to be handing out worksheets with holes punched in them. Maybe I could just hole punch everything that is going in my personal files, after it has been used etc.
I understand it will be personal preference but one of the things I always struggled with during my undergrad was storing and transporting work :s-smilie: I was hoping to decide on a system for the PGCE and stick to it :wink:

I have looked at the Erin Condron teachers planners. I'm not sure I could justify spending that much money on one but they look lovely. I will trundle off and browse A4 planners and see if any take my fancy.

Thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending