The Student Room Group

Article: Is it possible to predict what universities will do on results day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Origami Bullets
They will change on the day - some will come out and some will go into Clearing as the A Level results become known.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I firmed manchester and was wondering if u heard anyone being let in if their offer was aab and they got abc
Original post by golden tribe
I firmed manchester and was wondering if u heard anyone being let in if their offer was aab and they got abc

There's no way of telling - it will depend on the subject, if they've managed to fill all of their places with people who met their offers / missed their offer more narrowly, if they think they can get better students in Clearing etc etc

However, having missed two grades I wouldn't be overly hopeful - it might happen, but try to have a back up plan (e.g. your insurance choice)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm looking at a Russell Group science course, which previously offered AAA/AAB, and it IS in clearing without specified grades at the moment. My worst case scenario is ABB, so worth a try on results day? :smile:
Original post by Ezme39
I'm looking at a Russell Group science course, which previously offered AAA/AAB, and it IS in clearing without specified grades at the moment. My worst case scenario is ABB, so worth a try on results day? :smile:

If no grades are specified, then give it a go. If grades are specified in clearing and you have below what it says, then there's no point. They will have already dropped as low as they are prepared to go when publishing that set of grades.
My offer was AAB to study neuroscience would I be accepted if I got ABC? Or is there no chance?
Original post by tyrahaywood97
My offer was AAB to study neuroscience would I be accepted if I got ABC? Or is there no chance?

Please read the first two posts. Nobody can tell you. Anyone who claims they can is lying. We'd love to be able to reassure you, but we can't.
Original post by tyrahaywood97

Im in exactly the same position haha, I have to get AAB to study neuroscience and psychology at manchester, but I'm sure I've got ABC:frown: My insurance isn't too bad though, but I'm also trying to prepare myself incase I'm in clearing - stress!!!!
Original post by triplet3
Im in exactly the same position haha, I have to get AAB to study neuroscience and psychology at manchester, but I'm sure I've got ABC:frown: My insurance isn't too bad though, but I'm also trying to prepare myself incase I'm in clearing - stress!!!!

Similar position
Reply 148
if my course has already been advertised as being available in clearing, can a university still accept you with lower grades than they asked for before you phone and ask? i need BBC but i think i may get AC and have BCC from a previous year, if the university thought this as acceptable could I see 'your confirmed place' on ucas on results day? or is this updated automatically if you dont recieve the results?
Original post by 123hc4
if my course has already been advertised as being available in clearing, can a university still accept you with lower grades than they asked for before you phone and ask? i need BBC but i think i may get AC and have BCC from a previous year, if the university thought this as acceptable could I see 'your confirmed place' on ucas on results day? or is this updated automatically if you dont recieve the results?

If Track says your place has been confirmed on the day, then they have decided to take you regardless of what you got. If Track hasn't updated on the day, it means either that they haven't yet got round to updating it or that they haven't yet made up their mind about you. If Track says you have been rejected, then the fact that the course is in clearing makes no difference - they decided they didn't want to take you and that won't change.
Does anyone know if there will still be no student number controll for the people applying in 2016 or was it just a one off for this year? Of course there is no garuntee but I guess this could only work in our favour as uni's can fill up their lecture halls assuming they have the correct number of staff available
Original post by alexp98
Does anyone know if there will still be no student number controll for the people applying in 2016 or was it just a one off for this year? Of course there is no garuntee but I guess this could only work in our favour as uni's can fill up their lecture halls assuming they have the correct number of staff available

The removal of student number controls is an ongoing thing - I'm not aware of any plans to reinstate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know if University of Leicester has been lenient to those in results day? Especially for Law?

I am highly considering calling my insurance in a couple of days to ask if I could go into clearing. But this depends on whether I have a chance if I get into a uni that's similar (in terms of reputation) to Leicester. The places I would be considering is Sussex and Reading (places I originally applied) UEA, Kent and probably Liverpool (places I was considering to apply to). Those uni's have an entry requirement of AAB, same as Leicester (Liverpool has ABB). Would there be any point considering those unis to call up? Or should I just keep my insurance (despite I just don't want to go there, I've been saying this from the day I put the uni as my insurance!)

It's only law I want to do, I'm so passionate about doing law (for like 2 years). I don't want to do any other course, to avoid having to go down the GDL route.
Would accounting and finance count as one of the really popular courses at a Uni like DMU or would they be more lenient? Even though of course it's hard ro tell
Reply 154
Does oxford and cambridge participate in clearing?
Original post by omar4
Does oxford and cambridge participate in clearing?

Nope, they never have done.
A course for business & management is in clearing (BBB), I got BBCCD from last year, likely or unlikely to get in?
Original post by PinkRhinos
A course for business & management is in clearing (BBB), I got BBCCD from last year, likely or unlikely to get in?

What Uni?
Original post by Depleted
What Uni?

Kent
Original post by PinkRhinos
Kent

Worth a shout tbh.

Quick Reply