The Student Room Group

Dropped out of uni.. What to do now?

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm seeking some advise from people that were in the same boat at some point.

So I've decided to drop out of uni at the end of my second year as I was hating my course and the uni campus I went to (multimedia and animation at westminster).

I've worked as a bar manager for an events company for the past couple years but it got to the point when I'd like to move onto something more serious...

The problem is I'm not sure what I'd like doing? I've been looking at apprenticeships but I'd like some advice on what companies I should apply that would take a 23 years old that dropped out of uni?

Thanks guys!
Take a look at Capgemini, its IT related. I see you did animation, maybe you would like todo Software Engineering?

You can read more about it here and see if its for you, they have taken people over 23 if my intake
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3462397
Your age could hold you back, as funding stops from the age of 24.
You have until you're 24 for apprenticeship funding. I would recommend you go through colleges. Depending on where you are for example I am in Huddersfield and am doing an apprenticeship through the national business college. This may not be the case for all colleges but I found them to be very helpful especially through the application process and provided me with plenty of info and advice. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies guys! I'll have a look into that Capgemini apprenticeships..
Original post by Raz00
Thanks for the replies guys! I'll have a look into that Capgemini apprenticeships..

Dont bank it on though. It is extremely competitive.

Good luck though
Original post by Raz00
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm seeking some advise from people that were in the same boat at some point.

So I've decided to drop out of uni at the end of my second year as I was hating my course and the uni campus I went to (multimedia and animation at westminster).

I've worked as a bar manager for an events company for the past couple years but it got to the point when I'd like to move onto something more serious...

The problem is I'm not sure what I'd like doing? I've been looking at apprenticeships but I'd like some advice on what companies I should apply that would take a 23 years old that dropped out of uni?

Thanks guys!

hi I'm going to be in the exact same position as you soon, I'm 21 and i think ill drop out of uni in aug, due to needing a break and also the fact i have no specific career pathway, and a degree isn't all that!, I'm applying for trainee jobs with good career paths and also apprenticeships but only ones with a decent living salary as i can't stand being skint as a student and certainly won't be skint working full time , there should be more support for people in our situation :frown: I'm praying i dont end up signing on lol
Reply 7
Original post by studentLynch
hi I'm going to be in the exact same position as you soon, I'm 21 and i think ill drop out of uni in aug, due to needing a break and also the fact i have no specific career pathway, and a degree isn't all that!, I'm applying for trainee jobs with good career paths and also apprenticeships but only ones with a decent living salary as i can't stand being skint as a student and certainly won't be skint working full time , there should be more support for people in our situation :frown: I'm praying i dont end up signing on lol

They should deff have more apprenticeships out there for people that don't want to go uni or they end up dropping out. There are quite a few but the it's probably 150 or so candidates per one job... Let me know how it goes for u mate! Best of luck!
I dropped out of Westminster, I was doing computer networks security. I've been applying for jobs over the past year but with no success.

I decided to do a different degree at another uni, but I was only in my first year. Apprenticeships sound like a good option, it might be worth doing it for the opportunities afterwards even with the lower wage.
Original post by michael12
I dropped out of Westminster, I was doing computer networks security. I've been applying for jobs over the past year but with no success.

I decided to do a different degree at another uni, but I was only in my first year. Apprenticeships sound like a good option, it might be worth doing it for the opportunities afterwards even with the lower wage.

I also suggest checking out Capgemini which is an IT consultancy and offers one of the top IT apprentices

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3462397

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending