The Student Room Group

Can I apply Oxbridge Simultaneously!!

Hi Guys!

Some one told me, if a student apply to oxford, then he is not eligible to apply cambridge. Is it true. No body apply oxbridge simultaneously for undergarduate Studies!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

This is true. I don't think you can apply to both universities. It would be stupid anyway as if you miss your firm (which would be one of the two presumably), you would be likely to miss your insurance as well.
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
This is true. I don't think you can apply to both universities. It would be stupid anyway as if you miss your firm (which would be one of the two presumably), you would be likely to miss your insurance as well.

This is untrue as Cambridge offers are generally A*AA where Oxford offers are AAA.

To rephrase it for the wannabe pedants:

Where Oxford offers are AAA, Cambridge offers are generally A*AA.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by M.Adnan
Hi Guys!

Some one told me, if a student apply to oxford, then he is not eligible to apply cambridge. Is it true. No body apply oxbridge simultaneously for undergarduate Studies!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, you can only apply to one of them if you're applying for your first undergraduate degree (unless you're applying for an organ scholarship as far as I know). This makes sense - most people applying to Oxford would probably also apply to Cambridge if they had the chance and vice versa, so the universities would have to interview twice as many people so it simply isn't feasible.
Original post by callum_law
This is untrue as Cambridge offers are generally A*AA where Oxford offers are AAA.

Only for humanities. For sciences, it's generally A*A*A at Cambridge and A*AA at Oxford (although an increasing number of sciences at Oxford are asking for A*A*A). But yes, Cambridge generally has higher offers.
(edited 8 years ago)
At undergraduate level, you can't apply to both (unless you're a choral scholar)

Only for humanities.
It's to do with it being considered one goals effectively. People talk of "Oxbridge" and one of the big choices people have to make is which one to choose. Therefore, if you could apply for both, each university would effectivly get twice as many applicants, making it more competitive and harder to get in, but also hard to know as a Uni how many offers to give out as you don't know what one those who have two offers will go for.
Reply 7
Cant apply to both. I picked Oxford see which one suits you best.
As has been said by most people on this thread, you can only apply for one or the other.
Other unis have to estimate how many offers to make because applicants will reject them. I don't see why Oxford and Cambridge can't do the same. It's just an arrogant 'we're better than them' thing they have going on.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Other unis have to estimate how many offers to make because applicants will reject them. I don't see why Oxford and Cambridge can't do the same. It's just an arrogant 'we're better than them' thing they have going on.

Two points.

First of all, universities do the rejecting, candidates who receive offers get to decide whether to accept or decline those offers.

Secondly, the entire Oxbridge candidate assessment system is built around meaningfully interviewing the majority of candidates between the end of term and Christmas (and accommodating them in student accommodation, of course). Doubling the number would overwhelm the system and would not be practical.

But they are better than other universities. They are the top universities in Europe, and among the top 5 in the world, in terms of prestige. Nearly all the best people apply there, regardless of where they're from in the UK. They might not be the best place for every individual person or for every individual subject, but I'm speaking generally.
Reply 12
Original post by M.Adnan
Hi Guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is true. A candidate is not allowed to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge.
Reply 13

To rephrase it for the wannabe pedants:

Where Oxford offers are AAA, Cambridge offers are generally A*AA.

What have the respective offers got to do with whether or not a candidate is allowed to apply to both? (Hint: nothing.)

Because they said so. They can run whatever agreements between themselves they like re admissions. People aren't going to stop applying.

The practical reason why is that they put far greater resources into the recruitment process, which allows them to pick the best students through interviews, written tests, consideration of submitted essays, etc, whereas for most courses at most other unis applicants are judged on the basis of A level grades and 4000 characters worth of generally heavily teacher-influenced ramble.
Original post by Copperknickers
But they are better than other universities. They are the top universities in Europe, and among the top 5 in the world, in terms of prestige. Nearly all the best people apply there, regardless of where they're from in the UK. They might not be the best place for every individual person or for every individual subject, but I'm speaking generally.

People think they're better because they say they're better. The exclusivity of the applications helps this impression they are better.
People think they're better because they say they're better.

I rather think there might be a few other reasons too.
Reply 17
Original post by Caitlan
At undergraduate level, you can't apply to both (unless you're a choral scholar)

organ scholar*
They receive too many applicants so by enforcing this rule (if you will), it will provide them with more time to select candidates.
Do you know if you are allowed to apply to 2 courses at camb or oxf? Eg. Medicine and natsci at Cambridge at the same time.
Someone at the UCAS convention said no but I'm just double checking. Anyone know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending