The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
I'm glad to see so many success stories being posted recently, best of luck to you all! As for me, I won't be going for it just yet. I can't afford to, at the moment I just want to graduate, get into a career and start earning something and start a life for myself with my partner. Perhaps in the future it's something I could consider, but certainly not right now.
Since a lot of people seem to say ''you only need one offer'' and ''you have to apply tactically'', what are people's thoughts about applying to ONE med school and no others?

Original post by lcsurfer
Story of applying to medical school I'm afraid!
there are people with science degrees that struggled with the GAMSAT (even the science part) and there are arts students that bombed sections 1&2 and then aced section 3.
Medical school is very different to a science undergrad (I've been told by my friends I'm an arts grad at med school) as the learning is totally different, you aren't looking at science on a molecular basis you learn a little about a LOT (most of it is a memory test)! Some uni's are just ridiculous and think that you need a science degree to do it... Which many of us have proved not, and it's also to stop 1000's of people applying i recon.

That makes sense. It's so frustrating looking at unis which would be ideal for me which have such great facilities/locations and meet my preferred type of learning but knowing that they flat out won't consider arts grads regardless of whether I sit GAMSAT.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Since a lot of people seem to say ''you only need one offer'' and ''you have to apply tactically'', what are people's thoughts about applying to ONE med school and no others?

Its very risky. Yes, you only need one offer but you need to maximise your chances of getting that offer. Putting all your eggs in one basket is really risky with medicine applications. Is there a reason you would only apply to one?
Original post by ForestCat
Its very risky. Yes, you only need one offer but you need to maximise your chances of getting that offer. Putting all your eggs in one basket is really risky with medicine applications. Is there a reason you would only apply to one?

I think if all four of my options were realistic then I'd consider it risky to only apply to one but I personally feel as though three of my options aren't going to work out for me, at least not for 2016. One requires UKCAT, the others require GAMSAT. I feel okay about UKCAT and I've sat it before so I know what I'm facing but I'm really not okay with GAMSAT. I think with a years worth of prep I'd probably be okay (although not supremely confident) but I've had 2 months prep and I feel out of my depth. I think if I sit the GAMSAT this September it will be a waste of time and money and it's likely to dent my confidence because I'm not prepared. With all that said, I still want to apply...which leaves me with my one UKCAT option.
Reply 804
I think if all four of my options were realistic then I'd consider it risky to only apply to one but I personally feel as though three of my options aren't going to work out for me, at least not for 2016. One requires UKCAT, the others require GAMSAT. I feel okay about UKCAT and I've sat it before so I know what I'm facing but I'm really not okay with GAMSAT. I think with a years worth of prep I'd probably be okay (although not supremely confident) but I've had 2 months prep and I feel out of my depth. I think if I sit the GAMSAT this September it will be a waste of time and money and it's likely to dent my confidence because I'm not prepared. With all that said, I still want to apply...which leaves me with my one UKCAT option.

Sit the GAMSAT in Sept. if only to get to know the beast. Familiarity will help calm your nerves a lot and should be easier the second time around if only because you'll be quicker at settling in.
Biology factual knowledge is actually quite minimal, all of the biology questions have the information in the text. Chemistry is something you should focus on but I'm pretty sure you could get through AS level Chem and Bio in a week, maybe two.

I've met a few arts grads at offer open days who smashed S1 and/or S2 and brought their averages up. Though officially S3 is double weighted, SGUL and Notts use both S3 weighted and equal weighting averages and use the higher one. Swansea always use the official average.

To be honest it would be a shame to not try for the 3 additional unis simply for lack of confidence.
Original post by Zorg
x.

I love the new sig... but won't you finish in 2019?
Just done my UKcat (3rd attempt) and I got 695. There goes my place. Never mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 807
I love the new sig... but won't you finish in 2019?

Thanks, need to find a smaller image; it is unnecessarily big :tongue:

Well I'll be graduating in 2020, though you're not the first to ask that... I might amend it.
Original post by Zorg
Thanks, need to find a smaller image; it is unnecessarily big :tongue:

Well I'll be graduating in 2020, though you're not the first to ask that... I might amend it.

Ahhh do they have a really late graduation or something?

Are you excited? Not too long to go now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the same position as you. Ukcat does seem like the easier option and the uni I really want looks for it, but I'm worried about messing it up on the day and ruining my chances, so I'm taking the gamsat as well. It's easy to get bogged down with gamsat prep, it appears to be designed to scare the hell out of you, but try not to lose your confidence. Most people feel the same way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zorg
Sit the GAMSAT in Sept. if only to get to know the beast. Familiarity will help calm your nerves a lot and should be easier the second time around if only because you'll be quicker at settling in.
Biology factual knowledge is actually quite minimal, all of the biology questions have the information in the text. Chemistry is something you should focus on but I'm pretty sure you could get through AS level Chem and Bio in a week, maybe two.

I've met a few arts grads at offer open days who smashed S1 and/or S2 and brought their averages up. Though officially S3 is double weighted, SGUL and Notts use both S3 weighted and equal weighting averages and use the higher one. Swansea always use the official average.

To be honest it would be a shame to not try for the 3 additional unis simply for lack of confidence.

I've noticed the same thing about the biology questions. They seem to be like the verbal reasoning questions where all the information you need is to be interpreted from the passage. It's a bit annoying actually as biology is my strongest subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zorg

Thanks. Due to your reply I didn't cancel my GAMSAT today as I was planning to.

I'm just generally doubting my ability to do a medical degree at all at the moment, never mind the GAMSAT. Some days I'm determined and other days I think there are other careers in the NHS that wouldn't require me putting myself through this. I'm just very much in a limbo state I guess but I think I'd deeply regret not at least trying to do this.

Original post by Lisagee10
I'm in the same position as you. Ukcat does seem like the easier option and the uni I really want looks for it, but I'm worried about messing it up on the day and ruining my chances, so I'm taking the gamsat as well. It's easy to get bogged down with gamsat prep, it appears to be designed to scare the hell out of you, but try not to lose your confidence. Most people feel the same way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have that worry too. I need 700+ on the UKCAT and that's scaring the pants off me. I think you're right about the GAMSAT. Do you mind sharing what your first degree is and generally your background? You can PM if that's preferable. I don't get to talk to a lot of Arts grads in our position.
Reply 812
Ahhh do they have a really late graduation or something?

Are you excited? Not too long to go now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps I have my numbers wrong... :s

Excited? Understatement of the millennia.
I'm getting tired of this waiting. Received my last rota though and it feels so good to see no shifts to my name after Sept 6th :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zorg
Well no, unless I'm mistaken everyone who enters GEM in 2015 will be graduating in 2020... :tongue:

Excited? Understatement of the millennia.
I'm getting tired of this waiting. Received my last rota though and it feels so good to see no shifts to my name after Sept 6th :tongue:

Now I'm just confused. Or are you counting end of fy1 as graduation?

When do you start? Are you giving yourself a break before you start?
Reply 814
Now I'm just confused. Or are you counting end of fy1 as graduation?

When do you start? Are you giving yourself a break before you start?

Haha I think I have my numbers wrong... It's 2019 that is the end of the course. :tongue:

I have the last two weeks of work down as annual leave, but realistically most of that will be spent moving. Going to spend a weekend away and maybe a day here and there to visit friends before I start.
Original post by Zorg
Haha I think I have my numbers wrong... It's 2019 that is the end of the course. :tongue:

I have the last two weeks of work down as annual leave, but realistically most of that will be spent moving. Going to spend a weekend away and maybe a day here and there to visit friends before I start.

Lol, I wondered if I was missing something that delayed it for a year.
Reply 816
Lol, I wondered if I was missing something that delayed it for a year.

I just added 4 years to 2015 and assumed it was the 19/20 academic year I would finish on.

Though I'm not sure how I managed to make sense of it when someone else asked me before, or maybe I was sleep deprived like most other days...
Original post by Zorg
I just added 4 years to 2015 and assumed it was the 19/20 academic year I would finish on.

Though I'm not sure how I managed to make sense of it when someone else asked me before, or maybe I was sleep deprived like most other days...

I'm not going to lie, a small part of me is slightly sad that we don't graduate 2020. I just really like rounded numbers...
Reply 818
Original post by MJK91
I'm not going to lie, a small part of me is slightly sad that we don't graduate 2020. I just really like rounded numbers...

I knew I wasn't the only one!
Just out of curiosity... Why are there way more university spaces for undergrad medicine than graduate? Competition is much higher for graduate entry due to the few spaces available i.e. we need a higher UKCAT score, already have a degree, need more work experience etc.
When I think about it like this, it makes America's system, where they require that applicants already have a degree (pre-med) before doing medicine, make much more sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending