The Student Room Group

Knowledge and Intelligence.

What is the difference between the two?

I think there is a huge difference, but I would also like to hear what you guys think.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Knowledge is what you know, intelligence is how you use it.
Reply 2
IQ your ability to utilise knowledge. Memory on it's own in recalling facts is useless if you don't use logic to interpret it.
Reply 3
Original post by A5ko
Knowledge is what you know, intelligence is how you use it.

You're talking about the intelligence of using knowledge, which is still part of knowledge.

Define knowledge first.
Reply 4
Original post by Lyserg
IQ your ability to utilise knowledge. Memory on it's own in recalling facts is useless if you don't use logic to interpret it.

Again this is still, in the field of knowledge. I think, intelligence can work independently.
Reply 5
Original post by NHM713
You're talking about the intelligence of using knowledge, which is still part of knowledge.

Define knowledge first.

You may not know enough about your task to go purely on knowledge, thus you apply intelligence to create new knowledge.
Reply 6
Original post by A5ko
You may not know enough about your task to go purely on knowledge, thus you apply intelligence to create new knowledge.

But, knowledge can never be new, you see.
Knowledge is what you logically know. Intelligence is being able to apply this knowledge in the real world (this is very hard for the majority of people).
Reply 8
Original post by NHM713
But, knowledge can never be new, you see.

I knew you'd say that, which was why I was going to give an example such as the wheel.

Say it was invented by accident, Intelligence would be the point at which the accidental-inventor realises it's use. They weren't setting out to make a wheel, it just got away from them. From that point out it is knowledge that a wheel is a good idea.
Reply 9
knowledge is what you know,
intelligence is the how you apply the knowledge.
Two people can have the same amount of knowledge, yet one may seem more intelligent because of how he/she presents it.
Knowledge is power, my friend. Use it wisely.
Reply 11
Original post by A5ko
I knew you'd say that, which was why I was going to give an example such as the wheel.

Say it was invented by accident, Intelligence would be the point at which the accidental-inventor realises it's use. They weren't setting out to make a wheel, it just got away from them. From that point out it is knowledge that a wheel is a good idea.

Yes, but, I would say it is more like this. The intelligence came first (that is a very useful), then the knowledge came afterwards (I must remember it). What do you say?
Reply 12
Original post by Monkey D. Luffy
Knowledge is what you logically know. Intelligence is being able to apply this knowledge in the real world (this is very hard for the majority of people).

Yes, the intelligence of knowledge of that. What about intelligence that works outside of knowledge.
Reply 13
Original post by NHM713
Yes, but, I would say it is more like this. The intelligence came first (that is a very useful), then the knowledge came afterwards (I must remember it). What do you say?

That's exactly what I said in the example above.
Reply 14
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Knowledge is power, my friend. Use it wisely.

True. Seems us humans, have a lot of trouble with that.
Knowledge is learned and gained. It can be quantified. It can be expanded.

Intelligence requires the understanding and application of gained knowledge. It is more of a reflection of the nature of someone's thought process and the effectiveness of this process in a wide variety of situations and settings.
Reply 16
Original post by aamirac
knowledge is what you know,
intelligence is the how you apply the knowledge.
Two people can have the same amount of knowledge, yet one may seem more intelligent because of how he/she presents it.

Isn't that called cleverly using knowledge (intelligence of knowledge).

whereas there is intelligence that works independently of knowledge.
Original post by NHM713
Isn't that called cleverly using knowledge (intelligence of knowledge).

whereas there is intelligence that works independently of knowledge.

So it's application of knowledge you didn't know you possessed in a way...
Reply 18
I'd say that intelligence encourages the pursuit of knowledge.
Original post by NHM713
Yes, the intelligence of knowledge of that. What about intelligence that works outside of knowledge.

It could be the manipulation of your situation to gain a desirable outcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending