The Student Room Group

Opinions on cambridge VET MED

Hi all!

I'm planning on applying to Cambridge to study Vet Med, however student opinions are swaying me otherwise...

It's quite the obvious that vet med in cambridge is purely theoretical for years 1,2 and 4 (with year 3 being the intercollated year). I remember being told that one of the perks of going to Cambridge is the glory of coming out of uni with a cambridge degree and that this degree will make me more employable. However, in regards to vet med, I have been told the contrary, and that in fact, post-grad Cambridge vets are less likely to be employed by veterinarians due to the lack of animal handing experience throughout uni. Liverpool on the other hand start animal handling from DAY ONE, learning clinical skills, familiarisation with surgical instruments and x-ray interpretations etc.

I am a highly academic student and enjoy working, in a sense, however, if this means that my future ahead as a vet is questionable due to the lack of animal experience by doing the cambridge vet med course, I'm questioning whether I should apply to this uni?

If someone could give me the pro's and con's of studying vet med in Cambridge, I'd be EXTREMELY grateful, as I haven't heard a great deal about it, except the minimal animal involvement.

Also, if anyone knows ANY CURRENT VET MED CAMBRIDGE STUDENTS in ANY YEAR or even post-grads! Please tell me their username so I can get in touch with them! It's always better to hear from actual students.

Thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I'm also looking for some info on this so if any current students wouldn't mind messaging me as well that'd be great (sorry to scrape in like this :colondollar: )

Also, this may not be helpful at all but i was browsing the vet med cambridge website and came across this quote (attached).
It didn't come with anything to support it but it's all I've been able to find :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by suofei
Hi! I'm also looking for some info on this so if any current students wouldn't mind messaging me as well that'd be great (sorry to scrape in like this :colondollar: )

Also, this may not be helpful at all but i was browsing the vet med cambridge website and came across this quote (attached).
It didn't come with anything to support it but it's all I've been able to find :smile:

Hmm..the elipses ending the quote doesnt make it very believable haha
Original post by annie79
Hmm..the elipses ending the quote doesnt make it very believable haha

Not quite an elipsis not quite a full stop... mysterious :lol:

There was an article I read several years ago, I believe on Cambridge's website, that would have been exactly what you're looking for. It was aiming to dispel the course's reputation for being so theory based. Thing is, I can't find it for the life of me now :frown: I definitely found it via TSR and I remember how the page looked and everything- there was a picture of a donkey or something :tongue: I think they must have updated the website since then and taken it down but I'll keep looking.
Reply 4
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Not quite an elipsis not quite a full stop... mysterious :lol:

There was an article I read several years ago, I believe on Cambridge's website, that would have been exactly what you're looking for. It was aiming to dispel the course's reputation for being so theory based. Thing is, I can't find it for the life of me now :frown: I definitely found it via TSR and I remember how the page looked and everything- there was a picture of a donkey or something :tongue: I think they must have updated the website since then and taken it down but I'll keep looking.

DAMNIT. when you find it..PLEASE TELL MEE!!!!! which uni's are u applying for this yr?
I am studying at Liverpool, but applied to Cambridge. A Cambridge degree will NOT make you more employable with regards to vet school (but may do so for other degrees). Whether the contrary is true depends on your employer and their own experience of that particular uni, as well as your own connections (often jobs will be offered to students who have seen practice with them). I've also met one employer who almost exclusively recruited Cambridge grads for instance but I'm sure other employers would prefer a different uni. All unis have to do the same EMS requirements and if you feel you clinical/animal handling abilities are lacking you can do extra especially that Cambridge terms are short. Teaching at uni can only go so far - e.g. by the end of uni I would have only castrated one dog, and not spayed anything (excluding practising on models) but employers will want more -- hence the reason why I'm doing a neuter clinic as part of my EMS.

You might be surprised to hear that on the old Liverpool syllabus we barely did anything clinical/animal related until 4th year and this was quite usual in the past for most vet schools. More and more unis seem to be switching to the Nottingham style of teaching. But speaking to Nottingham students this style of teaching also has its drawbacks so no system is perfect by any means!
I'm in my second year of Vet Med at Cambridge and whilst I actually love the theoretical side, many of my friends are starting to regret it.
[QUOTE=MariaTsetse;57712653]I'm in my second year of Vet Med at Cambridge and whilst I actually love the theoretical side, many of my friends are starting to regret it.
Hi
Just finished as levels and would love to study vet med at cam! Any advice or info about uni? Xx
Original post by megan*kate
Hi
Just finished as levels and would love to study vet med at cam! Any advice or info about uni? Xx

That was a fake account :smile:
I'm a first year student at RVC, (practically second year now I guess!) and I was lucky enough to have an offer from Sidney Sussex, Cambridge too. If it helps, here's a few things I considered when I made my decision:

Pros:
1. Cambridge provides guaranteed in-college accommodation, something I definitely should have considered as of greater importance. This is invaluable, and would have saved me a lot of stress! (I ended up in private halls because apparently I live too close to London to get RVC accommodation, even though I'm 120miles away...)
2. Cambridge provides brilliant grants, which would have made my time at university much more comfortable. (In London, I'm racking up 15k debt a year, and soon that will increase to ~17-18k. Would have been far better off at Cam.)
3. Cambridge is unrivalled for theoretical studies, so if you are interested in research then they are definitely the way to go. You also have that extra year of study to gain a Cambridge BA degree.

Cons:
1. Cambridge is considered 'less practical'. At RVC, there is a constant rumour that 3rd year Cam vets have yet to touch an ultrasound scanner, although I don't know whether that is actually true! Anyways, I have to add this because I asked four vets from four different practices, and all of them told me to choose RVC over Cambridge for this very reason. This could be down to the area I'm from or their past experiences with very particular students, but I couldn't ignore the stats. (In my opinion, this wouldn't make much difference in the long run, but I personally wanted a more practical course anyway. If only Nottingham didn't reject me straight off the bat!)
2. You have no choice but to sit the extra year. I wasn't interested in research at the time, and so I wanted to save that decision until I was more informed on the matter. (I'm actually very tempted by an intercalated degree in comparative pathology now).

These two are slightly more personal cons:
3. I didn't want to travel across Cambridge from Sidney Sussex to get to the Vet Med lectures all the time :tongue:
4. Cambridge gave me a conditional offer based on me getting an A in Physics in my gap year, whereas RVC gave me an unconditional offer. This really annoyed me given that I already had A*A*A*A*a (Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics), effectively making my offer A*A*A*A*A.

Sorry for the essay, I just remember being left on my own to decide a year ago, and I was actually shunned by Sixth Form for rejecting Cambridge! Deep down you probably know where you want to go, so make sure you take your gut instinct into account. Message me if you have any questions! Oh... and dear god, start revising for the BMAT :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
I've just finished year 11 and I want to study vet med at uni. I was just wondering how different the courses are. I haven't visited any of the unis but I've done a few weeks of work experience this summer. Most of the vets at the practise I was at studied at Bristol (I live in Bristol as well). One of the vets recommended Nottingham because of the amount of practicals they do. What would people recommend?
Reply 11
Original post by horsewithnoname
I've just finished year 11 and I want to study vet med at uni. I was just wondering how different the courses are. I haven't visited any of the unis but I've done a few weeks of work experience this summer. Most of the vets at the practise I was at studied at Bristol (I live in Bristol as well). One of the vets recommended Nottingham because of the amount of practicals they do. What would people recommend?

the best way to find out what the courses are like is to visit the uni websites and read through the course outlines, I find. As you've probably seen above, cambridge has a more theoretical course than others, but the "best" and "worst" courses really depend on individual preferences :smile:
Original post by suofei
the best way to find out what the courses are like is to visit the uni websites and read through the course outlines, I find. As you've probably seen above, cambridge has a more theoretical course than others, but the "best" and "worst" courses really depend on individual preferences :smile:

People are already asking me where I want to go, even though I haven't been to any open days!
Reply 13
Original post by horsewithnoname
People are already asking me where I want to go, even though I haven't been to any open days!

Aha I know the feeling! There's a lot of pressure to make up your mind early but really we can wait to decide for quite a while :h:
Reply 14
I've had students from a variety of vet schools see practice with me. I honestly would say that in comparison, the Cambridge students were less pratical in both a hands on approach, as well as lacking in practical knowledge. I definitely saw a heavier bearing on theory. I haven't seen any differences when it comes to comparing our skills as vets once qualified.
I wouldn't suggest that this puts anyone off applying to Cambridge. You will still get your MRCVS (providing you pass the exams!) which is the ultimate aim. No vet school is perfect. Most vets claim their vet school is the best, but I wouldn't say this was true in my case.
Reply 15
Original post by ponyvet
I've had students from a variety of vet schools see practice with me. I honestly would say that in comparison, the Cambridge students were less pratical in both a hands on approach, as well as lacking in practical knowledge. I definitely saw a heavier bearing on theory. I haven't seen any differences when it comes to comparing our skills as vets once qualified.
I wouldn't suggest that this puts anyone off applying to Cambridge. You will still get your MRCVS (providing you pass the exams!) which is the ultimate aim. No vet school is perfect. Most vets claim their vet school is the best, but I wouldn't say this was true in my case.

hmm, so which vet school would you say is best? nottingham is heavily practical cambridge is theoretical, is there a vet school which is somewhere between the two?
Original post by annie79
hmm, so which vet school would you say is best? nottingham is heavily practical cambridge is theoretical, is there a vet school which is somewhere between the two?

As a Notts vet student, whilst we are more practical than other vet schools. Heavily practicalled is some what if an oversight tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Are you satisfied with the vet med course at Notts, and do you find you may be better off in an exam if u did more theory?
Original post by annie79
Are you satisfied with the vet med course at Notts, and do you find you may be better off in an exam if u did more theory?

I am satisfied as much as any other vet student.
And no, you get tested on the lectures and practicals etc, we learn everything we need to know so our theory is no worse real terms compared to anywhere else :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by annie79

Original post by Angry cucumber
As a Notts vet student, whilst we are more practical than other vet schools. Heavily practicalled is some what if an oversight tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard that although Nottingham are fantastic in terms of practical experience in years 1-4, the final year rotations aren't as good in comparison to other vet schools as you have associate practices rather than teaching hospitals? My friend has recently done a placement at Dick Whites and she said the students on rotations just observed and did very little. At the teaching hospitals, certainly at Langford, the students are hugely involved in all aspects of patient care right through from the intial consults, which we do ourselves, to discharging the patient. We adminster all medications, take blood samples, place catheters, do all the overnight checks for equine patients, write reports, phone owners and arrange visits, amongst other things!!

I was just wondering what your view on this is Angry Cucumber as I've never actually spoken to a Nottingham student myself and have just heard rumours!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending