The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdamY
Has anyone thought about buying stuff they'll need for starting yet? Specifically, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy academic dress now seeing as it's definitely necessary and will presumably save a bit of time / stress when everyone rushes the places which sell it right at the start of term. Or is buying all that stuff a sort of 0th week activity?

Applies to people not waiting for results, naturally.

You don't need to buy subfusc till you arrive, but it's worth getting the dark suit and shirt/black skirt and blouse before hand :smile:

Honestly don't worry about stuff yet, after results day colleges will send out all the information you need!
Reply 1281
Original post by Plagioclase
I was checking the list of societies earlier and it seems that the Japanese Society hosts informal language lessons which would help me, so I wouldn't be surprised if a Spanish society did the same.

Maybe look here?

Also according to this they have got conversation classes.

That's great, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucilou101
x

What, which courses don't have exams at the end of the year? Wouldn't that strike out all science courses?

Science students definitely can do OPAL courses. The point about balancing the increased workload should definitely be considered, though.

Chemistry courses offer supplementary papers in years 2–4, including European language options (shorter courses than OPAL), which give you a small bonus towards your degree if you do well. Some other science courses have similar arrangements but I don't know if the languages are available for all scientists. There's also the possibility of an overseas placement during the vacation to consider: there's been a Korean thing in the past, which I gather involved teaching English as a foreign language, with little or no Korean knowledge expected; the Oxford University Japan Office could probably help you to make enquiries if you were interested in doing something similar in Japan; etc.
Original post by BJack
Science students definitely can do OPAL courses. The point about balancing the increased workload should definitely be considered, though.

Chemistry courses offer supplementary papers in years 2–4, including European language options (shorter courses than OPAL), which give you a small bonus towards your degree if you do well. Some other science courses have similar arrangements but I don't know if the languages are available for all scientists. There's also the possibility of an overseas placement during the vacation to consider: there's been a Korean thing in the past, which I gather involved teaching English as a foreign language, with little or no Korean knowledge expected; the Oxford University Japan Office could probably help you to make enquiries if you were interested in doing something similar in Japan; etc.

Unfortunately there are no language options on my degree course (Earth Sciences) as far as I'm aware but thank you very much for letting me know about the other options! That's very good to hear and I will definitely look into that if I get my offer. It's also good to see that science students can do OPAL but I do think that it probably is a better idea to at least wait until the second year - I can carry on self-teaching until then probably, or I'll look at the informal lessons that the Japanese Society seems to be offering.
I know this seems pretty menial but what time does Oxford let us know if we've been accepted on results day? Some people suggest ignoring early emails but I'd rather not breakdown in school in front of everyone. Is there a standard policy as regards this or something? Thanks.
Original post by BLOBYIST
I know this seems pretty menial but what time does Oxford let us know if we've been accepted on results day? Some people suggest ignoring early emails but I'd rather not breakdown in school in front of everyone. Is there a standard policy as regards this or something? Thanks.

It'll come through on track when it updates at 8:00am (usually a bit earlier apparently but this is the official time that track will be open from) unless you're one of the people track doesn't update for on the morning.
Original post by danniegee
Hi there! I followed your link and had a look at the French reading list and, although it's set out differently for Queen's, the actual books on the list are exactly the same ones which appear on my list from St John's, so I reckon that prep work is probably universal :smile:

Oh thank you! Probably similar for Medicine then - good luck for results day (ah!) :crossedf:
Original post by procrastibaker
Oh thank you! Probably similar for Medicine then - good luck for results day (ah!) :crossedf:

You too! :wink:
Reply 1288
Hello, may I ask how much did you got on the MAT and whether you did study individually for it or not?

Good luck.
Reply 1289
Original post by Rifleboy123
Course: Computer Science
College: St Anne's
Outcome: Offer - A*AA with A* in Maths or Further Maths
How you feel: I can't even

Hello,

I am planning to apply to Oxford for 2016 entry.

However, I am taking the SAT-R in October and the SAT II tests in November.

I have no previous qualifications so will the University of Oxford offer me a conditional offer based merely on my personal statement, reference, and MAT test?
May I ask how much you got on the MAT?
Do you think it's a sensible idea to enroll myself on an OPAL course in my first year? The thing I'm concerned about is that there isn't really any way for me to gauge how massive the workload is going to be until the enrollment deadline has passed. The last thing I want to is to find that I'm so snowed under with work that I can't do the OPAL course any more but on the other hand, it looks really good...

I did OPAL French Threshold level in my first year. It was not very much work. I guess the amount of work varies depending on whether you pick a course that is actually at your level or slightly above. There were a few pieces of writing work, I normally spent about two hours on the homework every week, sometimes less. You can do more if you're keen, less if you're less keen.

I had Prelims that year and still did its exam (consisting of an oral exam/presentation and two written exams). The structure was teaching in terms 1 and 2, and then in term 3 prep for the presentation and then the exam midway through the term so it didn't really clash with prelims. Hence it's not true that they don't allow you to do OPAL courses in exam years, certainly not at the level I did and I doubt they would have a blanket policy - there's nothing on their website that suggests so and that would be something they'd want to let people know. It's also probably worth mentioning that you can opt out of doing the exam if you want, so you can do the teaching to the start of term 3 and decide doing the exam is too much stress but you still will have benefitted from the teaching. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with :smile:
Reply 1291
Anyone else holding an open offer?
How do you feel about it?
I'm a bit worried tbh!
Original post by TDL22
I'm a bit worried tbh!

Me! I haven't thought much about it, do you know when we find out which college we're at? Hoping it's early on Thursday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TDL22
I'm a bit worried tbh!

Not an open offer, but still feeling seriously worried.

I want Thursday to come ASAP and yet I'm dreading it.
Helloooooooooooooooooooooo everybody :biggrin:

So, Oxford has your results and you will soon find out whether you made the grades or not.

A few words from the old yodelling sage that is TLG :shakecane:

For those who meet their offer

Congratulations and well done! Your hard work has paid off! Start getting ready :colone:

For those who miss their offer but are accepted anyway

You are the best kind of Oxford applicants! (Unbiased opinion, naturally. Coz obviously I didn't miss my grades or anything :ninja: ) Congratulations on being accepted anyway.

Try and stay calm if you find out that you've missed your grades and you have to phone Oxford. If you are successful in getting admitted to Oxford despite missing the grades, please DON'T do what I did, which was to develop a huge complex about how I had to "prove" myself worthy of being admitted and show my tutors that they made the right choice. There is no need to do that. Don't let others talk down to you because you got lower grades than them.

For those who miss their offer and have to go to their insurance instead

Please do not fret at all. Whilst it might feel like you've stuffed up and you're not quite sure of what lies ahead, I'll tell you what lies ahead for you. We are fortunate in the UK to have several world-class institutions. Likeliness is that if you firmed Oxford, your insurance is one of these amazing top unis. The world is still your oyster and you can succeed and fulfill your ambitions if you work hard and put your mind to it. Oxbridge is far from the be-all-and-end-all. There are Oxford students who don't fare so well from the Oxbridge experience - I'm proof of that!

So hold your heads high and keep smiling. And remember you are ALL amazing!

-------------------------------------------

Wishing you all the very best for Thursday! :biggrin:

TLG :h:
Reply 1295
I'm sorry because I know this will panic everyone but i feel like I should share this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/11791625/Schools-raise-fears-over-mistakes-in-A-level-marks.html
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Helloooooooooooooooooooooo everybody :biggrin:

So, Oxford has your results and you will soon find out whether you made the grades or not.

A few words from the old yodelling sage that is TLG :shakecane:

For those who meet their offer

Congratulations and well done! Your hard work has paid off! Start getting ready :colone:

For those who miss their offer but are accepted anyway

You are the best kind of Oxford applicants! (Unbiased opinion, naturally. Coz obviously I didn't miss my grades or anything :ninja: ) Congratulations on being accepted anyway.

Try and stay calm if you find out that you've missed your grades and you have to phone Oxford. If you are successful in getting admitted to Oxford despite missing the grades, please DON'T do what I did, which was to develop a huge complex about how I had to "prove" myself worthy of being admitted and show my tutors that they made the right choice. There is no need to do that. Don't let others talk down to you because you got lower grades than them.

For those who miss their offer and have to go to their insurance instead

Please do not fret at all. Whilst it might feel like you've stuffed up and you're not quite sure of what lies ahead, I'll tell you what lies ahead for you. We are fortunate in the UK to have several world-class institutions. Likeliness is that if you firmed Oxford, your insurance is one of these amazing top unis. The world is still your oyster and you can succeed and fulfill your ambitions if you work hard and put your mind to it. Oxbridge is far from the be-all-and-end-all. There are Oxford students who don't fare so well from the Oxbridge experience - I'm proof of that!

So hold your heads high and keep smiling. And remember you are ALL amazing!

-------------------------------------------

Wishing you all the very best for Thursday! :biggrin:

TLG :h:

Thank you, I think I needed to hear that :smile:
(Even if I still really hope that I get in without any problems!)
Original post by TDL22
I'm a bit worried tbh!

Yes! Nervous and excited and wondering how and when they'll let us know which college we're accepted into if we get the grades!?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by procrastibaker
Yes! Nervous and excited and wondering how and when they'll let us know which college we're accepted into if we get the grades!?

I wonder if they know this week who missed their offer, those places can then be filled sooner? So was hoping we'd know early on Thursday!

I'm excited to find my college (if I meet the offer ofc) but not too fussed where I end up (praying though it isn't a small college though! Or a theological one...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1299
Good luck to everyone waiting for their results!

I hope everyone with an open offer gets a place they're pleased with - not that there are really any bad outcomes! Hopefully see some of you at New College :crown:

With known grades and a confirmed college I feel like I'm missing all the excitement... (Ok fine, I'm actually feeling very glad not to be on tenterhooks right now!)

Latest

Trending

Trending