The Student Room Group

Could I become a teacher with this degree?

I might want to do Audiology at university, if I decide to become a teacher will this be a downfall to me because of course im not going to be teaching audiology at secondary schools. However, would I still be able to teach my A-level subjects?

Scroll to see replies

you could teach in an fe college as the pgce for that doesnt require a specific degree but cant do secondary teaching
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
you could teach in an fe college as the pgce for that doesnt require a specific degree but cant do secondary teaching

fe college?
Reply 3
Original post by katy456
fe college?

FE = Further Education, Post 16 (after GCSE)
Stuff like BTEC level 3, A-Level.

HE = Higher Education (Uni level)
Reply 4
Original post by tohaaaa
FE = Further Education, Post 16 (after GCSE)
Stuff like BTEC level 3, A-Level.

HE = Higher Education (Uni level)

So are you saying if I do Audiology I can't teach say GCSE Biology but can teach it at A-level?
Original post by katy456
I might want to do Audiology at university, if I decide to become a teacher will this be a downfall to me because of course im not going to be teaching audiology at secondary schools. However, would I still be able to teach my A-level subjects?

Is there a reason you want to study Audiology if you want to be a teacher?
Reply 6
Original post by ForestCat
Is there a reason you want to study Audiology if you want to be a teacher?

Being a teacher is a back up plan in case audiology gives me no career prospect
Original post by katy456
So are you saying if I do Audiology I can't teach say GCSE Biology but can teach it at A-level?

nope, you could only teach level 3 courses at college really.
Reply 8
nope, you could only teach level 3 courses at college really.

That's A level...
Original post by katy456
That's A level...

I meant nope to gcses, sorry didn't proofread that properly.
Reply 10
I meant nope to gcses, sorry didn't proofread that properly.

That doesnt make sense at all. I do not mean to sound blunt but do know A-levels are higher level than GCSE? Why cannot I teach GCSE if I am allowed to teach the exact same subject at an advanced level?
Original post by katy456
That doesnt make sense at all. I do not mean to sound blunt but do know A-levels are higher level than GCSE? Why cannot I teach GCSE if I am allowed to teach the exact same subject at an advanced level?

It all depends on the schools rules. My mum just did her fe pgce, its only for further education so she is not allowed by the government to teach in secondary schools themselves, shes not technically qualified to in their eyes. You might be able to teach gcses resit courses at colleges but otherwise no gcse teaching generally.
You could try to argue to do a secondary pgce however, you have to cover biology quite generally so whether or not they ll accept audiology would be up to universities.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by katy456

Here is one example
http://www.ask.mmu.ac.uk/questions/853/Does+my+degree+have+to+be+related+to+the+secondary+PGCE+I+want+to+study%3F

They require 50% of the degree to cover the subject you want to teach. So you would probably be ok if you wanted to teach biology (but it would depend on the modules you take). But it would probably vary from university to university, so you would have to double check.

Audiology is generally a vocational degree (i.e. a strong clinical component that qualifies you for certain healthcare jobs) so you should be ok finding work afterwards.
Reply 13
Here is one example
http://www.ask.mmu.ac.uk/questions/853/Does+my+degree+have+to+be+related+to+the+secondary+PGCE+I+want+to+study%3F

They require 50% of the degree to cover the subject you want to teach. So you would probably be ok if you wanted to teach biology (but it would depend on the modules you take). But it would probably vary from university to university, so you would have to double check.

Audiology is generally a vocational degree (i.e. a strong clinical component that qualifies you for certain healthcare jobs) so you should be ok finding work afterwards.

I agree about Audiology being a vocational subject. (I'm about to start an Audiology degree.) It's good that you're thinking about a possible Plan B, but if you're applying to study Audiology you really need to focus on going into that direction for a career. You certainly don't want to be coming across at an interview as being anything other than wholehearted. I believe that there is a need for audiologists nationwide, both in the NHS and the private sector. At one uni we were told that all the 3rd year students had been offered jobs by one large private provider.
Original post by ayeeel
I agree about Audiology being a vocational subject. (I'm about to start an Audiology degree.) It's good that you're thinking about a possible Plan B, but if you're applying to study Audiology you really need to focus on going into that direction for a career. You certainly don't want to be coming across at an interview as being anything other than wholehearted. I believe that there is a need for audiologists nationwide, both in the NHS and the private sector. At one uni we were told that all the 3rd year students had been offered jobs by one large private provider.

Great post, but you quoted the wrong person :wink: Try the OP :smile:
Original post by katy456

To be honest
I don't suggest going into teaching if you will be studying Audiology.
You could become a primary school teacher - that's definitely an option.
But secondary and sixth forms now look for teachers that a specific to their subject. No one I've known has done a degree not related to their subject in anyway.
But I do recommend going into what you've studied tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
To be honest
I don't suggest going into teaching if you will be studying Audiology.
You could become a primary school teacher - that's definitely an option.
But secondary and sixth forms now look for teachers that a specific to their subject. No one I've known has done a degree not related to their subject in anyway.
But I do recommend going into what you've studied tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is certainly possible. I know someone who studied music technology/music producing at uni and became a maths teacher through teach first. Certainly if the OP really wanted to teach, it would be better to do a more related subject. But Audiology is their focus, they are just looking at possible backups.
(edited 8 years ago)
It is certainly possible. I know someone who studied music technology/music producing at uni and became a maths teacher through teach first. Certainly if the OP really wanted to teach, it would be better to do a more related subject. But Audiology is their focus, they are just looking at possible backups.

Oh cool, I didn't know that.
Yep, totally understandable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katy456

If teaching is your back-up option as I think you've indicated, I would not worry too much - better to focus on what your first choice is first! You don't want to go with your second choice degree just because it fits with your back up.

In terms of PGCEs, you'd have no problem being qualified for a Primary PGCE and most likely not for a Post-Secondary PGCE.

However, what colleges will allow you to teach will vary. Some might insist that your degree is in the subject so this could depend how much Biology you do as part of your degree.
Others will be more lenient - my A Level Italian teacher was a French grad who did a year of Italian and a year in Italy with regular trips back there to brush up.

If you're looking at secondary teaching and you're not heart set on an Audiology career and think teaching is likely.... then I'd suggest emailing a couple of universities to find out how they'd view it. It can't hurt to ask.

In final year of my degree (French, German and Japanese) I started looking at PGCEs and was pretty shocked to find out I wasn't eligible to apply at any of my 5 choices! I'd just assumed I'd be okay because I was on track for a first, could offer 3 languages at degree level, plus Italian at A Level and you only need an A Level to teach KS3 langs, and I had good work experience. But the 5 unis I emailed to ask about admissions said they wouldn't even look at my application because either I didn't have 50% of my degree in my main lang... or I hadn't lived in the country of my main lang (I spent my year abroad in Japan and Japanese PGCE's are pretty non-existent). Luckily this was just something I was considering doing, so I got over it :tongue: But if I'd have known since prior to uni that teaching might be my goal I'd have been pretty devastated to find out my first class degree wasn't going to get me there just because of the combination I'd chosen!
Original post by sophia5892
If teaching is your back-up option as I think you've indicated, I would not worry too much - better to focus on what your first choice is first! You don't want to go with your second choice degree just because it fits with your back up.

In terms of PGCEs, you'd have no problem being qualified for a Primary PGCE and most likely not for a Post-Secondary PGCE.

However, what colleges will allow you to teach will vary. Some might insist that your degree is in the subject so this could depend how much Biology you do as part of your degree.
Others will be more lenient - my A Level Italian teacher was a French grad who did a year of Italian and a year in Italy with regular trips back there to brush up.

If you're looking at secondary teaching and you're not heart set on an Audiology career and think teaching is likely.... then I'd suggest emailing a couple of universities to find out how they'd view it. It can't hurt to ask.

In final year of my degree (French, German and Japanese) I started looking at PGCEs and was pretty shocked to find out I wasn't eligible to apply at any of my 5 choices! I'd just assumed I'd be okay because I was on track for a first, could offer 3 languages at degree level, plus Italian at A Level and you only need an A Level to teach KS3 langs, and I had good work experience. But the 5 unis I emailed to ask about admissions said they wouldn't even look at my application because either I didn't have 50% of my degree in my main lang... or I hadn't lived in the country of my main lang (I spent my year abroad in Japan and Japanese PGCE's are pretty non-existent). Luckily this was just something I was considering doing, so I got over it :tongue: But if I'd have known since prior to uni that teaching might be my goal I'd have been pretty devastated to find out my first class degree wasn't going to get me there just because of the combination I'd chosen!

Sorry
I'm not the OP
But I'm interested in your story
So what are you planning to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest