The Student Room Group

Clearing - how long does it take to be released from firm?

I am thinking about going into clearing on results day, it's a long story as to why so I won't go into it.

I see some people on here say that if you want to get released from your firm on results day into clearing, then this can take 24 hours to a week. However from others who I have asked they have said it was nearly instant?

Can it just depend on the university or is a week a slight exaggeration?
Original post by Juuuuh
I am thinking about going into clearing on results day, it's a long story as to why so I won't go into it.

I see some people on here say that if you want to get released from your firm on results day into clearing, then this can take 24 hours to a week. However from others who I have asked they have said it was nearly instant?

It depends on the university, and a week is not an exaggeration.
According to the UCAS website - "You need to ask the uni who has confirmed your place if they can put you in to Clearing. This will be at their discretion."

You can also find more information about what to do on A level results day in this blog post.
Original post by Juuuuh

Due to the nature of Track on results day even if a university processes it "instantly" it isn't likely to show on Track (and so you wont have a clearing number) for an hour minimum and 5-12 hours maximum (depending on how frequently a university is sending updates through to UCAS).

Some applicants can't get through to their university on the phone on results day or the day after (universities are universities - not call centres) and then get asked to send written confirmation etc etc.

It is unusual for a university to process a release based on a phone call alone (with nothing in writing and no way to confirm your identity over the phone they risk releasing someone as a "prank" or being held accountable later on if the applicant then denies that they asked for a release) - which means that even an "instant" ok from the uni is likely to take 24 hours or so for the university to receive your written confirmation, process the release, for someone else to check it is correct and then to send it to UCAS.

Add on top of this that a release can only be processed if your application has been confirmed (you are UF with the uni you contact) and it is an extremely risky plan to wait until results day to start this conversation.
Original post by Amit RMA
According to the UCAS website - "You need to ask the uni who has confirmed your place if they can put you in to Clearing. This will be at their discretion."

You can also find more information about what to do on A level results day in this blog post.

That doesn't answer the questions in the first post
Original post by PQ
That doesn't answer the questions in the first post

The question was - "Can it just depend on the university or is a week a slight exaggeration?"

UCAS's website says - "You need to ask the uni who has confirmed your place if they can put you in to Clearing. This will be at their discretion."

Therefore the answer to the question is yes it does depend on the university.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Due to the nature of Track on results day even if a university processes it "instantly" it isn't likely to show on Track (and so you wont have a clearing number) for an hour minimum and 5-12 hours maximum (depending on how frequently a university is sending updates through to UCAS).

Some applicants can't get through to their university on the phone on results day or the day after (universities are universities - not call centres) and then get asked to send written confirmation etc etc.

It is unusual for a university to process a release based on a phone call alone (with nothing in writing and no way to confirm your identity over the phone they risk releasing someone as a "prank" or being held accountable later on if the applicant then denies that they asked for a release) - which means that even an "instant" ok from the uni is likely to take 24 hours or so for the university to receive your written confirmation, process the release, for someone else to check it is correct and then to send it to UCAS.

Add on top of this that a release can only be processed if your application has been confirmed (you are UF with the uni you contact) and it is an extremely risky plan to wait until results day to start this conversation.

Thank you for the in depth answer. I know it is a risky idea however it is just something I am considering.

Would it be possible to ring a potential uni in clearing, despite me having a firm place on results day, and asking them if they would consider me before actually releasing myself - or would they not really have time for someone like that (someone who doesn't have a clearing number at that moment)?
Reply 7
Original post by Juuuuh
Thank you for the in depth answer. I know it is a risky idea however it is just something I am considering.

Would it be possible to ring a potential uni in clearing, despite me having a firm place on results day, and asking them if they would consider me before actually releasing myself - or would they not really have time for someone like that (someone who doesn't have a clearing number at that moment)?

Also interested in this.
Original post by Juuuuh

You can call them. UCAS rules state they aren't supposed to talk to you (even if you can get through on the phone on the busiest day of the year). You might get lucky but most universities won't hold a place for longer than 24 hours so even if they will break the rules and offer you some reassurance you could end up stressed out at best (ringing around trying to hurry things up) or without a place at worst.

It is much better to have these conversations and phone calls now.
Original post by Juuuuh

Took an hour, but depends on the University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending