The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I will be trying it out:woo:
Original post by EdwardElric
I'm curious, what did you think of Fullmetal Alchemist. Have you seen the movie Conqueror of Shamballa? That movie resolves the cliffhanger that Fullmetal Alchemist ended with.

No I haven't yet! I keep meaning to seeing as it's on Netflix.

FMA was good for the most part, but I thought that it became significantly worse by the end with the whole 'two worlds' plot plus the anticlimactic battle against the main antagonist - I mean, she just stands around like a lemon as her evil plans fail. Was surprised by the cliffhanger so I should definitely watch the movie.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by elen90
Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I will be trying it out:woo:

No I haven't yet! I keep meaning to seeing as it's on Netflix.

FMA was good for the most part, but I thought that it became significantly worse by the end with the whole 'two worlds' plot plus the anticlimactic battle against the main antagonist - I mean, she just stands around like a lemon as her evil plans fail. Was surprised by the cliffhanger so I should definitely watch the movie.

Yes, I agree with you about the ending. Brotherhood has a far more satisfying ending in my opinion, it feels a lot more natural since it's the same ending as the manga. The movie isn't amazing but it does an okay job of concluding the story of the original anime.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I have seen it, and I struggled to really form an overall opinion of the series. :p: Nicely animated, fun characters, very chaotic. One of those shows where I didn't really know what was going on a lot of the time, but I liked it anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the anime Parasyte any good?
And what's Darker than black about? Watched the first episode of it and still a bit confused.
Original post by Kadak

Parasyte is one of my personal favourites, thought it was amazing. The last few episodes are weaker than the rest but otherwise it's 10/10 stuff for me.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

And what's Darker than black about? Watched the first episode of it and still a bit confused.

Parasyte is very nice. Genre and story-wise, it's very similar to Gokukoku no Brynhildr, in that it's an alternate world, humans keeping huge alien secrets, &c, &c. I highly recommend it if you like the whole dystopianey, sci-fi, dark anime genre.

The story has a clear path, but at times it jumps a little (so some flashbacks) and I feel that the ending wasn't as conclusive as it could have been. But other than that, the animation quality and character design are excellent.

So, in a nutshell, Darker than Black centres around an future Tokyo, where something called a "Hell's Gate" surrounds it(?). And so, agents with psychic powers get hired by different agencies in a bid to unlock secrets of the Gate. It's an interesting concept, but I agree, the first episode doesn't give away much on what the anime is about.

hope it helps
Original post by Judge Jasel
Parasyte is very nice. Genre and story-wise, it's very similar to Gokukoku no Brynhildr, in that it's an alternate world, humans keeping huge alien secrets, &c, &c. I highly recommend it if you like the whole dystopianey, sci-fi, dark anime genre.

The story has a clear path, but at times it jumps a little (so some flashbacks) and I feel that the ending wasn't as conclusive as it could have been. But other than that, the animation quality and character design are excellent.

So, in a nutshell, Darker than Black centres around an future Tokyo, where something called a "Hell's Gate" surrounds it(?). And so, agents with psychic powers get hired by different agencies in a bid to unlock secrets of the Gate. It's an interesting concept, but I agree, the first episode doesn't give away much on what the anime is about.

hope it helps

Ty.Hope you dont mind if I ask more questions.
In tokyo ghoul anime,why does shaachi attack Ken Kaneki when he freed him ?
Also,will there be a third season of D grayman or not ?There seems to be mixed messages?
Also,when watching FMA,do I watch FMA or FMA brotherhood first ?
Original post by Kadak
Ty.Hope you dont mind if I ask more questions.
In tokyo ghoul anime,why does shaachi attack Ken Kaneki when he freed him ?
Also,will there be a third season of D grayman or not ?There seems to be mixed messages?
Also,when watching FMA,do I watch FMA or FMA brotherhood first ?

No worries! I love anime!

I take it this was the first time when they met, that you're talking about? The anime did a bad job of that scene, because it did seem completely random. There's a hint however. At the end of the fight, Shachi yells at Kaneki for trying to take him and the Aogiri Tree on. In the manga, the explanation was that Kaneki was aiming to destroy Aogiri, which Shachi had joined.

Nope. There hasn't been any announced plans for a 3rd season for DGM. For now, it stands at 103 episodes and completed. Though they may pick up the story in the future, as they haven't totally scrapped that idea.

myanimelist.com usually has rather reliable information on these kinds of things. :smile:

With regards to FMA, it makes logical sense to watch FMAB, because the story gives better closure and it feels more exciting watching it. Also, FMA was a little down on the quality and story compared to Brotherhood, so if you did watch Brotherhood first, be prepared to be disappointed by FMA (if you decide to watch that). Also, the difference in terms of the story between the two is awfully huge. I watched FMA first because brotherhood hadn't come out yet, and I couldn't get into brotherhood after because of the differences.
PS: FMAB follows the manga more closely, but FMA was a little more dramatic (I have to admit).

Any questions, feel free to drop a quote, anytime! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
No worries! I love anime!

I take it this was the first time when they met, that you're talking about? The anime did a bad job of that scene, because it did seem completely random. There's a hint however. At the end of the fight, Shachi yells at Kaneki for trying to take him and the Aogiri Tree on. In the manga, the explanation was that Kaneki was aiming to destroy Aogiri, which Shachi had joined.

Nope. There hasn't been any announced plans for a 3rd season for DGM. For now, it stands at 103 episodes and completed. Though they may pick up the story in the future, as they haven't totally scrapped that idea.

myanimelist.com usually has rather reliable information on these kinds of things. :smile:

With regards to FMA, it makes logical sense to watch FMAB, because the story gives better closure and it feels more exciting watching it. Also, FMA was a little down on the quality and story compared to Brotherhood, so if you did watch Brotherhood first, be prepared to be disappointed by FMA (if you decide to watch that). Also, the difference in terms of the story between the two is awfully huge. I watched FMA first because brotherhood hadn't come out yet, and I couldn't get into brotherhood after because of the differences.
PS: FMAB follows the manga more closely, but FMA was a little more dramatic (I have to admit).

Any questions, feel free to drop a quote, anytime! :smile:

Whats your view on the upcoming hollywood production of Ghost in a shell.In scared they are going to mess it up.Also seems controversial they are whitewashing the characters.
Why do many dubbed versions of an anime feel awkward compared to the subbed versions.For example,the dubbed version of one piece opening 1 doesnt really feel right compared to the japanese version.
Original post by Kadak
Whats your view on the upcoming hollywood production of Ghost in a shell.In scared they are going to mess it up.Also seems controversial they are whitewashing the characters.
Why do many dubbed versions of an anime feel awkward compared to the subbed versions.For example,the dubbed version of one piece opening 1 doesnt really feel right compared to the japanese version.

It's mixed. I am looking forward to it, mainly because I am one of those die-hard Ghost in the Shell fans, so I'll probably end up forcing myself to like it!
It does seem pretty bad that they'll whitewash the characters, so I am not looking forward to some "2-D" character development there. I dunno really, it hasn't been released yet, so I guess we'll just wait and see. (and then complain later)

Dubbing is a difficult process, because Japanese sentences and their meanings in English don't tend to correlate, if you get what I mean. Especially if it's Japanese slang like "haizamasu" (ohaiyo gozaimasu)...doesn't correlate too well. Also, if you've watched subs for a long time (clean copies in my case), then the expressions of the voice actors in English will come across as forced and unnatural, part of which is to do with how you're used to perceiving anime=voiced by Japanese seiyuu; you get into that mindset really easily watching subs for a long while. But if you compare a dub with say, a Cartoon Network toon, there isn't too much of a difference. That said, not all dubbing is terrible. For example, the dub for Death Note was near excellent, and after watching that in dub....everything else did look and sound pretty sh**ty tbh. Does that kinda answer your question?
(edited 8 years ago)
It's mixed. I am looking forward to it, mainly because I am one of those die-hard Ghost in the Shell fans, so I'll probably end up forcing myself to like it!
It does seem pretty bad that they'll whitewash the characters, so I am not looking forward to some "2-D" character development there. I dunno really, it hasn't been released yet, so I guess we'll just wait and see. (and then complain later)

Dubbing is a difficult process, because Japanese sentences and their meanings in English don't tend to correlate, if you get what I mean. Especially if it's Japanese slang like "haizamasu" (ohaiyo gozaimasu)...doesn't correlate too well. Also, if you've watched subs for a long time (clean copies in my case), then the expressions of the voice actors in English will come across as forced and unnatural, part of which is to do with how you're used to perceiving anime=voiced by Japanese seiyuu; you get into that mindset really easily watching subs for a long while. But if you compare a dub with say, a Cartoon Network toon, there isn't too much of a difference. That said, not all dubbing is terrible. For example, the dub for Death Note was near excellent, and after watching that in dub....everything else did look and sound pretty sh**ty tbh. Does that kinda answer your question?

Yeah it does.I asked because I remember as a kid how on 4Kids channel they badly butchered some animes when they made their own versions.
Original post by Kadak
Yeah it does.I asked because I remember as a kid how on 4Kids channel they badly butchered some animes when they made their own versions.

Oh god, yeah, they were outright terrible.
I couldn't wait, I just watched the first episode of Gansta; cool first episode. :smile:

Spoiler

Holy **** I just finished Darker than Black... That was amazing. I have never been so pleasantly confused before. So awesome. Can't get over it.

I really hope Steins;Gate lives up to the hype for me as the next anime I'm gonna watch. Can't help but think I'm gonna judge it harshly since DTB is easily one of the best animes I've seen so far, though admittedly I haven't seen many.
Original post by NikolaT
Holy **** I just finished Darker than Black... That was amazing. I have never been so pleasantly confused before. So awesome. Can't get over it.

I really hope Steins;Gate lives up to the hype for me as the next anime I'm gonna watch. Can't help but think I'm gonna judge it harshly since DTB is easily one of the best animes I've seen so far, though admittedly I haven't seen many.

Honestly, the only part of Stein's Gate that I feel like anyone could dislike is the start, so don't give up there. I don't think it's the best anime ever like a lot of people do, but it's definitely a great show and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

I have Darker Than Black on my PTW list, will get there one day.
Original post by NikolaT

And here is my next anime. After watching a bit of Ergo Proxy, I'm really liking this goth/emo style.
Just finished Monster yesterday, what a fantastic anime. I doubt I'll ever be able to find an anime villain that's on the same level as Johan. Great stuff. I'll be starting Gankutsuou next, I've been wanting to watch it for a while now.
Original post by Zantetsuken
And here is my next anime. After watching a bit of Ergo Proxy, I'm really liking this goth/emo style.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive started it too,I also love it's dark style.
It's my favourite anime,and I've wanted to see why that is.
Hey guys!

I just finished watching all the original Hunter x Hunter episodes + OVAs and I thought the ending was quite cute with (ending in spoiler)

Spoiler

, yet of course it leaves unanswered questions about what happens to the Spiders later on.

My question is, is it worth watching the latest series (from like episode 70) that ends properly? If it's not that much better than the old one then I'll probably leave the series how it is.

Original post by EdwardElric
x(

Quoted you in Ed because I saw that you've watched the series :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Hey guys!

I just finished watching all the original Hunter x Hunter episodes + OVAs and I thought the ending was quite cute with (ending in spoiler)

Spoiler

, yet of course it leaves unanswered questions about what happens to the Spiders later on.

My question is, is it worth watching the latest series (from like episode 70) that ends properly? If it's not that much better than the old one then I'll probably leave the series how it is.

Quoted you in Ed because I saw that you've watched the series :tongue:

The Chimera Ant arc of the 2011 series was by far my favourite of the arcs in Hunter x Hunter, though admittedly I've not watched the original series or OVAs myself, and this series sped through all the earlier arcs. The storyline and especially the characters are good enough to make it worth the watch, IMO. :smile:
Original post by xDave-
Honestly, the only part of Stein's Gate that I feel like anyone could dislike is the start, so don't give up there. I don't think it's the best anime ever like a lot of people do, but it's definitely a great show and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Agreed. Once you get over the hump of first 4 or so episodes, it undergoes a bit of a tonal shift (almost slice of life/comedy to sci-fi thriller). I wasn't a fan of the first episode, gave up on it for a couple of weeks only to come back to it. I now rank it as my favourite.

Mamoru Miyano who voices Rintaro Okabe is also my favourite voice actor. He also voices, amoung many roles, Light Yagami (Death Note), Masaomi Kida (Durarara!!), Ling Yao (FMA: Brotherhood) and Kiba (Wolf's Rain). What a pro! :biggrin:

[video="youtube;a-GqSWsISVs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-GqSWsISVs[/video]

Latest

Trending

Trending