The Student Room Group

Raf capita medical need advice!

Hi all,
I have a medical coming up with capita and have been advised to go prepared with a copy of my medical records incase they try and fail me for something silly. Do they already have my medical history or should I bring a copy? I have nothing physically or mentally wrong noted in my history it's pretty much empty but wanted to know any advice on that?

Scroll to see replies

If you can get something from your doctor, do that. You turning up and saying 'I'm fine' doesn't really cut it.
Original post by irishelf1992
Hi all,
I have a medical coming up with capita and have been advised to go prepared with a copy of my medical records incase they try and fail me for something silly. Do they already have my medical history or should I bring a copy? I have nothing physically or mentally wrong noted in my history it's pretty much empty but wanted to know any advice on that?

I obtained a copy of my medical records from my GP, i had to pay to get them printed but it did aid me in my application. It won't be relevant to all applicants though.
Hi,

I'm just wondering how in depth they go with the medical? I had a ankle injury playing football 2 years ago, it wasn't a break just a really bad sprain and ligament damage but will they want to hear about that? Also when I was about 16 I had a op on my eye lids, nothing to do with my eye sight so not necessarily an eye op but again should it be declared. I suppose Ill find out this week but just wanted to check as might have to get a letter from the GP to say all is well.

Any advise would be great, cheers.
Original post by kilted_sparky
Hi,

I'm just wondering how in depth they go with the medical? I had a ankle injury playing football 2 years ago, it wasn't a break just a really bad sprain and ligament damage but will they want to hear about that? Also when I was about 16 I had a op on my eye lids, nothing to do with my eye sight so not necessarily an eye op but again should it be declared. I suppose Ill find out this week but just wanted to check as might have to get a letter from the GP to say all is well.

Any advise would be great, cheers.

I was thinking the same thing as I'm waiting for capita to contact me for a date for my medical. Been waiting a week now and heard there was a backlog so it's just a waiting game I suppose. I think the Medicaid out of your hands really, all depends on the doctor etc
I was thinking the same thing as I'm waiting for capita to contact me for a date for my medical. Been waiting a week now and heard there was a backlog so it's just a waiting game I suppose. I think the Medicaid out of your hands really, all depends on the doctor etc

Yeah I think your right, just going to have to turn up and see whats asked of me and tell them everything they ask for etc, if they need information from my doctor ill get that ASAP and then send it back and hopefully everything will get signed off. Don't have any major health issues or operations in my past so fingers crossed will all be fine. my eyesight was a worry but I'm under the -6 so hopefully that will be fine as well. I'll post with how I got on regardless.
I had a bad knee injury from football about 2 years ago and had lots of physio for it, I told the Dr at capita and he was fine about it as they check your joints and rotary movements anyway so don't worry about the ankle injury to much. The one thing I have heard of people failing on is not having clean ears, so make sure they're done and there's no build up of wax.
Original post by jasonjb1985
I had a bad knee injury from football about 2 years ago and had lots of physio for it, I told the Dr at capita and he was fine about it as they check your joints and rotary movements anyway so don't worry about the ankle injury to much. The one thing I have heard of people failing on is not having clean ears, so make sure they're done and there's no build up of wax.

Ah that's good to hear (no pun intended). Ill make sure I have cleaned them before hand cheers, absolutely mental a bit of ear wax can stand between you and your dreams.
Ah that's good to hear (no pun intended). Ill make sure I have cleaned them before hand cheers, absolutely mental a bit of ear wax can stand between you and your dreams.

1) It doesn't, they'd just tell you to go and get it syringed (which takes a little time if done properly), wasting your time and their's.

2) If you have wax in your ear canal then there's a fair chance they'd can't see your eardrum, which is important, especially so for aircrew.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Fritz Bollinger
1) It doesn't, they'd just tell you to go and get it syringed (which takes a little time if done properly), wasting your time and their's.

2) If you have wax in your ear canal then there's a fair chance they'd can't see your eardrum, which is important, especially so for aircrew.

Point taken, good to know. Ill just make sure they are clean.
Reply 10
I had my medical with Capita back at the end of January....they are a nightmare! I was told I had high blood pressure (it was 2 points over what she wanted) they said I had to go and get a 24 hour monitor from my doctor. Went to my doctor, she wouldn't give me one as my blood pressure wasn't high enough....you can see where this is going!
I had to go to a private hospital and pay to get one, it was a joke!
I finally got passed as fit beginning of May...yes it took that long!
BUT, all that said I have now got a date for PRTC.
I think it's safe to say each Capita doctor is different, some will turn you away over ear wax or high BP (apparently I haven't been the only one), others you will sail through with. Luck of the draw!
;-)
So had my medical this morning, it consists of (just in case anyone didn't know):

questionnaire about your medical history

check your eyes, ears

reflexes

quick look in your mouth and ears

height and weight to get the BMI

push ups (3)

walk on your toes, heels and sides of your feet, squat walk

check all your joints and movement of you arms and legs

colour blindness test

eyesight test (I had my prescription so was fine to take that)

Hearing test (headphones, listen for the beeps)

Unfortunately I had to take a letter to my GP as I had surgery on my eyelids when I was about 16 (nothing to do with eye sight, more cosmetic than anything else) but the doc thought it was something in her little folder which might effect the application (she didn't even know what it was, she looked it up on the internet and even then I just checked and that was wrong), what annoys me is the corrective surgery worked a treat and no more issues (in growing eyelashes just in case your wondering, more an irritation than anything) and now I have to wait weeks for a decision, does anyone know if I can appeal it if it doesn't go in my favour?

And so the wait begins!
So had my medical this morning, it consists of (just in case anyone didn't know):

questionnaire about your medical history

check your eyes, ears

reflexes

quick look in your mouth and ears

height and weight to get the BMI

push ups (3)

walk on your toes, heels and sides of your feet, squat walk

check all your joints and movement of you arms and legs

colour blindness test

eyesight test (I had my prescription so was fine to take that)

Hearing test (headphones, listen for the beeps)

Unfortunately I had to take a letter to my GP as I had surgery on my eyelids when I was about 16 (nothing to do with eye sight, more cosmetic than anything else) but the doc thought it was something in her little folder which might effect the application (she didn't even know what it was, she looked it up on the internet and even then I just checked and that was wrong), what annoys me is the corrective surgery worked a treat and no more issues (in growing eyelashes just in case your wondering, more an irritation than anything) and now I have to wait weeks for a decision, does anyone know if I can appeal it if it doesn't go in my favour?

And so the wait begins!

Sorry to hear about the set back bro 👎🏻 did you declare that eyelids operation to her or did she already know about it?

Regards
Sorry to hear about the set back bro 👎🏻 did you declare that eyelids operation to her or did she already know about it?

Regards

cheers, yeah I declared it, figured may as well tell her instead of hide it and then it get pulled up if I see a Doc when/if I get in for something. I think she has misdiagnosed it like I said but just have to wait and see now! To be fair she may have seen it when she was looking with her light anyway so best keep it truthful.

Hope you get your date soon bud.
cheers, yeah I declared it, figured may as well tell her instead of hide it and then it get pulled up if I see a Doc when/if I get in for something. I think she has misdiagnosed it like I said but just have to wait and see now! To be fair she may have seen it when she was looking with her light anyway so best keep it truthful.

Hope you get your date soon bud.

Yeah I had nothing to declare just keep hearing things on here about bp and ears ! Lol hopefully u get it sorted soon mate !
Yeah I had nothing to declare just keep hearing things on here about bp and ears ! Lol hopefully u get it sorted soon mate !

just relax as much as you can a few deep breaths before the bp and it will be all good. yeah give your ears a clean and you will be fine mate! cheers fingers crossed! then its all down to me and my training!
just relax as much as you can a few deep breaths before the bp and it will be all good. yeah give your ears a clean and you will be fine mate! cheers fingers crossed! then its all down to me and my training!

Yeah training for fitness is the one to focus on I think! Lol I'm not doing too well with the running! Good luck to you too!
yeah give your ears a clean and you will be fine mate!

*i know what you actually meant, but to clear up anyone else's understanding, go to your GP, get the olive oil and then have them syringed. Self cleaning normally makes it worse as most of the wax gets pushed down onto your eardrums. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Fritz Bollinger
*i know what you actually meant, but to clear up anyone else's understanding, go to your GP, get the olive oil and then have them syringed. Self cleaning normally makes it worse as most of the wax gets pushed down onto your eardrums. :smile:

Sorry, very well pointed out by Fritz, cotton buds are definitely not the best way to clean you ears. So pharmacy or GP to get the best advise.
Just quick question, does anyone know roughly how long the Capita Docs take to get back to RAF medical team? Is there anyway to find out if the Doctor has sent the paper work back?

Just had 2nd paper review (didn't need to attend) and been told it can take 2 weeks to get the information back from Capita. I waited 4 weeks for the Doc to look at the paper work for 10 mins (like they did last time round), surely they would fill out the paper work then and just send it back?

Sorry I'm just ranting now as its been 13 weeks since the original medical and it feels like Capita just drag their heels over the whole process.

Quick Reply

Latest